The Cannies

ProjectFred325

The Northwest of Northwest Cache Akadamy is proud to announce……

The Cachies, the first annual Geocache awards. B) We are currently accepting nominations for the best caches place in the year 2008. Any cache placed Jan. 1, 2008 until Dec. 31, 2008 is eligible. Caches in the “greater Puget Sound Area" are open for the awards. If you have questions just ask.

Best Micro

Most scenic

Best puzzles

Best Multi

Best use of a nano

Best Hike.

Newcomer of the year. (a new cacher with great caches, BUT no fake accounts)

Best cache page

Best Container

Most Unique Cache

Best description

Most educational

Must do Cache

Best Photo

Add you own…

Please add reply here or email THEAKADAMY at the mail after e and f but before h.

Stay tuned for info on the event.

** THe AKADAMY

I understand the reasons behind this, but...it's really a no-win situation...

Just what we don't need...another popularity contest...

Why not just enjoy the caches or not as you judge them?

I don't see anything wrong with this concept at all...how are other's to learn what is appreciated and what is not if no one ever says anything in a general forum/awards of some sort?

On behalf of the entire AKADAMY TEAM this is NOT a popularity contest! It is a way to recognize those cacher who have take the time any energy to make the sport better. Anyone can place a film canaster under a lampskirt (myself included) and call it a cache, but to construct a great puzzle or share a view with others or build a clever container takes time and should be rewarded. Our hope is that it will help encourage the high level cache quality that is already present in the northwest to get better.

We do enjoy then, we plan on continuing to enjoy them and want other to be able to enjoy them.

Nothing against the WSGA COM, but the ballot stuffing and limited voting pool is not what we had in mind.

This is also a driver for an event. A way for cacher to get together and share 'war' stories and have fun during what for some is a slower part of the year.

On behalf of the entire AKADAMY TEAM this is NOT a popularity contest! It is a way to recognize those cacher who have take the time any energy to make the sport better. Anyone can place a film canaster under a lampskirt (myself included) and call it a cache, but to construct a great puzzle or share a view with others or build a clever container takes time and should be rewarded. Our hope is that it will help encourage the high level cache quality that is already present in the northwest to get better.

We do enjoy then, we plan on continuing to enjoy them and want other to be able to enjoy them.

Nothing against the WSGA COM, but the ballot stuffing and limited voting pool is not what we had in mind.

This is also a driver for an event. A way for cacher to get together and share 'war' stories and have fun during what for some is a slower part of the year.

The ballot stuffing issue was taken care of as soon as it was discovered. The limited membership requirement is also part of controlling that ballot stuffing considering the open voting is what caused the ballot stuffing in the first place. And let's also keep in mind ballot stuffing can happen with any medium including sock puppet e-mail accounts associated with sock puppet gc.com accounts. Mentoning it here smacks of sour grapes and is arrogant when you ignore the obvious.

As a caveat: I don't have a problem with these kinds of social events. All voting of this sort, IMO, is based on some kind of popular concept or there would be no winner.

I don't see anything wrong with this concept at all...how are other's to learn what is appreciated and what is not if no one ever says anything in a general forum/awards of some sort?

By reading the cache logs.

michelle

I understand your wanting people to know about cool caches. Why not start a separate forum thread about cool NW caches. People can post the caches and why they think its so cool. That way people can know about great caches but aren't limited by the date placed as on the WSGA cache of the month, or having to worry about popularity contest. And it would be great to see the cool pictures people would post when they find a cache with an awesome view.

I'm not against another listing but do have to note:

1.)My preference is tolook at the Favorites Bookmarks posted by cachers with a style similar to mine.

2.)FireFighterJ also created a Website that allows folks to list favorites Favorites

Absolutely, very well put. "1.)My preference is to look at the Favorites Bookmarks posted by cachers with a style similar to mine." This is exactly how I do it and if you take a look at MY FAVORITES http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/view.a...d4-02762c5015bb bookmark, you will see my favs wether they are great puzzles, hikes, views or historically educational. I also have THE BUCKET LIST http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/view.a...ac-7df7109d4c77 , which is a collection of caches that I created after hours and hours of searching everybody elses bookmarks and or galleries and found caches that were of my caching style and or just plain great drives, hikes and finds.

Again, you hit the nail on the head.

--MLI

Edited by MAJOR LEAGUE INFIDEL

I'm not against another listing but do have to note:

1.)My preference is tolook at the Favorites Bookmarks posted by cachers with a style similar to mine.

2.)FireFighterJ also created a Website that allows folks to list favorites Favorites

Absolutely, very well put. "1.)My preference is to look at the Favorites Bookmarks posted by cachers with a style similar to mine." This is exactly how I do it and if you take a look at MY FAVORITES http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/view.a...d4-02762c5015bb bookmark, you will see my favs wether they are great puzzles, hikes, views or historically educational. I also have THE BUCKET LIST http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/view.a...ac-7df7109d4c77 , which is a collection of caches that I created after hours and hours of searching everybody elses bookmarks and or galleries and found caches that were of my caching style and or just plain great drives, hikes and finds.

Again, you hit the nail on the head.

--MLI

I saw your bucket list on one of my caches and as a result previewed it. That is a great collection of caches there.

I've cached in about half the states, over a dozen countries, and I think its a wonderful idea. It was done tastefully in San Antonio (GC15Q03). Catagories were similiar:

Best traditional cache

Best micro cache

Best puzzle cache

Best multi cache

Best night cache

Best themed cache series

Best event cache

Best view

Best container

Funniest cache

Funniest log

Funniest log photo

On the pages the winner was able to put a little 'award', like seen on AIRMAN'S CAVE, GCRT93. This way people strive for more than lightpole skirtlifters and we as a community can recognize those who put in the hard work for a good event, a fun puzzle, or an intriging night cache. It also allows visitors with limited time to see which ones they should look for. If you need help, let me know. I'll do what I can.