Owner deletes posts

runewell

Hey folks don't be so upset by a cache owner deleting the log because it was critical.

We have cachers in the Tricities area who delete logs just because they don't like the cacher who found their beloved caches! They say, "after all we are the cache owners so we can do anything we want with our cache!"

Yes, we have a small group of Star Wars caste offs who proclaim they are the answer to proper geocaching conduct yet they delete logs because they dislike the cacher. If they hate you bad enough, as they have some, your cache may become lost or disabled and worse yet, if they think you are going to find a cache they have found, that cache just might disappear so you can't find it. It doesn't get much worse than that!

As bizarre as it may seem, honest to God, every word I just wrote is true. If you dig hard enough in this forum's archives, you will find two threads addressing these topics.

Gosh................... and you thought you had problems with one little ol' log deletion! :ph34r:

P.S. 99+% of our local cachers don't have anything to do with the above behavior. They are fun loving wonderful folks just like you guys. But then there is the 1% who make you think about taking up underwater basket weaving as a hobby!

I'm quite suprised that the log in question is from one of the king's caches.

I've found his hides to be consistently good. Not suprising, since he's got more experience than anyone else on the planet with hiding caches.

Of course, I'm also suprised he'd take the time to zap one of your logs, since he probably gets 500 found it emails a day. :D

Really?

Log Date: 7/4/2008

Been here twice before. Happily meralgia found it not long before we were ready to leave. Dissatifying and uninteresting cache, better to ask someone for a specific hint and save two hours of your life.

Nothing wrong with this log whatsoever. "King" Boreas should get off the throne and lighten up. He didn't like your cache. It's okay. You'll survive.

I've glanced through this thread and it seems that were talking quantity over quality. If you are placing hunderds of uninteresting caches just to be the king of caches, well, you might be in store for some just criticism. One's time is a valuable resource that cannot be replaced. As an elderly newbie, my goal is to seek out the most interesting and well thought out caches. I try to accomplish this by reading the logs. IMHO, it is unfair for a cache owner to protect a lackluster cache by deleting logs that describe it as such.

Maybe TPTB need to review the current system. An additional 1-10 (10 being the best) rating system could be implemented to augment the logs. This rating scale would be untouchable by the cache owner. Even better, prevent the owner from deleting the logs but allow a response to any negativity. Something similar to eBay's feedback system.

In the end, if you don't have something good to say, say nothing at all. As many of you have pointed out, it is just a game. Maybe those with mammoth egos and others with humming bird skins should find a new hobby.

I've glanced through this thread and it seems that were talking quantity over quality. If you are placing hunderds of uninteresting caches just to be the king of caches, well, you might be in store for some just criticism. One's time is a valuable resource that cannot be replaced. As an elderly newbie, my goal is to seek out the most interesting and well thought out caches. I try to accomplish this by reading the logs. IMHO, it is unfair for a cache owner to protect a lackluster cache by deleting logs that describe it as such.

Maybe TPTB need to review the current system. An additional 1-10 (10 being the best) rating system could be implemented to augment the logs. This rating scale would be untouchable by the cache owner. Even better, prevent the owner from deleting the logs but allow a response to any negativity. Something similar to eBay's feedback system.

In the end, if you don't have something good to say, say nothing at all. As many of you have pointed out, it is just a game. Maybe those with mammoth egos and others with humming bird skins should find a new hobby.

I have done a number of King Boreas caches...in my opinion they are quality hides...but, that is just my opinion...

Read the logs of the cache in questions...many found it to challenging and enjoyable. But, go ahead and carry...

I usually keep something in mind when caching...Just becuase I can't see a meaning in why a cache was placed here doesn't mean there isn't a reason.

Edit: Rating System...I would bet your idea of a "10 Star Cache" and my idea are different...

Edited by ArcherDragoon

I have done a number of King Boreas caches...in my opinion they are quality hides...but, that is just my opinion...

Read the logs of the cache in questions...many found it to challenging and enjoyable. But, go ahead and carry...

I usually keep something in mind when caching...Just becuase I can't see a meaning in why a cache was placed here doesn't mean there isn't a reason.

Edit: Rating System...I would bet your idea of a "10 Star Cache" and my idea are different...

Touche but I doubt that we would vary by 9 points. Overall, I believe the score would average out to be something useful for the seeker.

We're finished discussing the option of removing someone's cache if there's a disagreement. Let's get back to the topic of how to handle logging disputes like grownups. Thanks.

Really? I wasn't finished, so we weren't finished yet, were we?

The logger has several options:

Try to reach an agreement with the cache owner

Complain about it in the forums

Complain about it to Groundspeak (we know they won't intervene)

Complain about it to a reviewer

Take care of the problem by eliminating the problem

All are equally 'grownup' or childish. Why? Because it's just a game!

I have to say - I was very impressed by this - I have been suspended for much less, yet this poster basically told off a moderator and nothing was done, as evidenced by the fact that he was able to continue to post right after this.

I do believe that owners have the right to remove posts which are offensive... guess that's just the nature of the beast that you may get burned if you tell something bad about the cache.