Caches at Trigs

Like caching? Like trigs? Many caches are hidden near to trig points, but it's not easy to find them without a lot of searching around. You can claim two finds for each of these special types of hide - one on Geocaching.com and one on http://www.trigpointinguk.com/

If you were in the US doing this sort of thing, you could of course log their equivalent - the Benchmark - on GC.com - another thread entirely which can be discussed here or here

Anyways, I've compiled a bookmark list, and there's just over 500 at present. I've had to split the list in two, with the first list having 498 waypoints in it, and the second having 21 or so :

2 for 1 : Caches At Trigs which covers all of England and Wales.

2 for 1 : More Caches At Trigs which covers the extreme N of Scotland and any new ones that crop up.

The bookmark lists show strictly all Trad, Letterbox Hybrid or Earth Caches that are 0.1 miles or less from a Trig point.

The latter list will be added to as more caches near trigs get hidden.

Why bother? Well, as stated, some might wish to combine their two hobbys, or at least be a bit curious. Also, as many trigs are of course situated at prominent viewpoints, some might consider a cache near a trig to be one well worth hunting down (for a milestone, perhaps).

:laughing:

Edited by PopUpPirate

Why stop at just including the trigs, also include the following:-

Wainwrights

Marilyns ...

Seriously ... if anyone would find this useful I could re-use the software I wrote for my coal tax posts. But I wouldn't be able to get around to it for for probably a couple of months.

If anyone would find this useful, and is prepared to wait a few months, I'll have a bash. Or were you just being sarcy?

Drifting off the subject a bit ....

I don't use GSAK or maintain a local database (for my own reasons), which is why, whenever I do something of this nature - which to be honest isn't often - I needed to think a bit laterally.

The best way I could find to get a reasonably selective PQ for caches near to a diverse set of points was to use those points as vertices in a route, and submit that. Defining the route so it not only looks aesthetically pleasing, but also tries to minimise the total length (to avoid spurious caches that are near to edges but not to vertices) is the fun bit. What I'd really like is "caches along a series of points".

Is there an easier way (apart from the brute force method of submitting dozens of regular PQs)?