Post code search (accuracy)

I know this has been dealt with before, especially when some changes were made a few weeks ago when completely incorrect countries were being returned, but accuracy is still appalling on all post code searches I've made recently - usually over 6 miles out.

Before the changes accuracy was about 1 mile out with the effect of maybe a cache or two being reported nearer than they should to each other but now I can get a whole page [correction - 3 pages] of caches that are further than the point of target.

Have we had any indication that this is going to be fixed. I know there are several threads that deal with this but haven't found a definitive answer apart from one from groundpeak promising to fix the initial problems where the search was being performed in entirely different countries.

Edited by Eclectic Penguin

There's been no recent update on this AFAIK. The main thread is rather unwieldy now, but I did post examples of the inconsistent and inaccurate postcode searching, and it was improved a bit.

To make it work at all I have to use "Advanced Search" (the "Hide and Seek" version usually errors). And then it's some distance out: it looks like it only takes the first part of the postcode into account, ignoring the final section. So how accurate the results appear depends on how close you are to the postcode "centre".

But as Rutson says, if you want anything doing about it there's no point in posting it here - only the website forum will get noticed.

I know this has been dealt with before, especially when some changes were made a few weeks ago when completely incorrect countries were being returned, but accuracy is still appalling on all post code searches I've made recently - usually over 6 miles out.

Before the changes accuracy was about 1 mile out with the effect of maybe a cache or two being reported nearer than they should to each other but now I can get a whole page [correction - 3 pages] of caches that are further than the point of target.

Have we had any indication that this is going to be fixed. I know there are several threads that deal with this but haven't found a definitive answer apart from one from groundpeak promising to fix the initial problems where the search was being performed in entirely different countries.

Use the Advance Search page, which seems to be pretty accurate, while the 'Hide and Seek a Cache' one seems to suffer from only using the first part of the Post Code, possibly because it is set up for only 5 digits used in the US ZIP Codes (just a guess that)... :huh:

They are clearly programmed differently, since the standard search will convert the Post Code into a Lat/Long when it displays the results, while the Advance retains the Post Code as the source.

With a postcode search, I've found that it seems to show distances and directions from the town centre. I suspect that rather than having a lookup table of postcode area centroids, the search engine is using the outcode (the HP13 bit) rather than the whole postcode.

This is probably due to a difference in postcoding pratice. In the UK a postcode generally covers approximately 20 properties, so postcode location is quite accurate. In the US, zip codes represent much larger areas, but I'm not an expert on US zip codes.

The most reliable way of finding nearest caches is to use a coordinate search. a quick way of finding the coords for a postcode is to type it into streetmap.co.uk, then click the "click here to convert/measure coordinates" link.

Also, the search by postcode was set up when there were far fewer caches in the UK, so the distancces/directions to the nearest were much more likely to be in the right area.

The most reliable way of finding nearest caches is to use a coordinate search. a quick way of finding the coords for a postcode is to type it into streetmap.co.uk, then click the "click here to convert/measure coordinates" link.

Surely it's possible to create a GM script that will incorporate this directly into the GC.com page?

I'm glad someone has brought this up. I have never had a problem before, although my nearest caches were not the nearest listed to my home post code, but they were only out by about 1/3 mile. Now they are about 15 miles out!! :) The cache nearest to my house is on the third page!

It looks to me like they're now only using the first part of the post code, though I still think you have to type in the whole post code.

I wonder why they've changed their post code database?

We hadn't noticed this problem until we tapped in the post code of the Bath & West Showground (BA4 6QN) where we guessed Mega 2009 might be held - it would be a longer than expected drive as it shows it as being in GERMANY! :laughing:

Same here type a postcode for cumbria and get Germany

I stand by my opinion that you are MORE LIKELY to get a response from TPTB on the website forum.

Yes, you're absolutely right - if you want GS to respond then that's the only place to post. When I originally posted, I was only wanting to see if any other peolpe were experiencing similar problems. As it was a UK specific (or so I thought) I figured this was the place to find out if others are experiencing the same anomalies that I was - obviously everyone is suffering to a greater or lesser extent at the moment.