GPS with Mem Map

Hi All

Ive recently purchased a fusion GPS to work with tom tom on my PDA3790 but i cant get it to work with mem map because it dosent come up in the type of gps in mem map has anybody overcome this yet?

ChrisP :)

if it works with other applications theres no reason why it shouldn't with memory map

you tried it through gpsgate?

Hi whats gps gate when you go to gps on memmap it list lots of gps but not the name of mine so i cant get it to setup

chrisP

GPSGate is a program which you put on a PDA to enable different applications to use the GPS link. If you run Tom Tom it tends to hog the port which is needed and GPSGate gets over this. If you Google GPSGate ( one word ) it should explain it better than I have.

But first I would try setting up MM on the PDA without starting TomTom and use the NMEA settings, you may have to experiment with the port to use but it will probably be 4 or 7.

Good luck - when it all works it is brilliant.

GPSGate works on trial for 14 days, give it a go for free!

Does GPSGate do anything more than just share a port? If not, then I suspect it won't help the original poster as the problem he has is choosing the GPS manufacturer in MM setup. As has been said before, NMEA is a good bet.

What extra does GPSGate do if you already have Windows Mobile 5 or 6, which already share the GPS port through a virtual port?

Rgds, Andy

I use a Fortuna bluetooth gps with my pda.

Don't select the gps by manufacturer - chances are you'll just need to select NMEA and bitrate (8 ?) and the port, which will vary according to your setup - to find out go into bluetooth manager.

And whatever you do, DON'T use windows mobile's built in gps manager.....!!

There are 2 completely different ways to use the built in GPS manager (API, port splitter), can you explain in more detail what you mean please?

BTW, on some PDAs it is not possible to use the built in GPSr without using the WM GPS manager.

Rgds, Andy

There are 2 completely different ways to use the built in GPS manager (API, port splitter), can you explain in more detail what you mean please?

BTW, on some PDAs it is not possible to use the built in GPSr without using the WM GPS manager.

Rgds, Andy

I thought he was using a bluetooth gps with an ipaq 3790 - apologies if I'm wrong.

When I set mine up (before getting Gpsgate) the onboard gps manager introduced incredible delays when using memory map.

It was far simpler to connect direct to the port from memory map.

Just checked on a previous post - and this works...

1. Don't use the ipaq's built in gps manager. If you are, turn it off, and start again.

2. The bluetooth port on my ipaq is COM8, so once you've got your ipaq and gps paired, open MM .

3. Go to Menu / GPS / Setup.

4. Select NMEA, COM8, Baud 4800

Probably a silly question (or two) but...

1. Have you paired your pda and gps?

2. Does it work with other apps (like TomTom)?

Edited by keehotee

I thought he was using a bluetooth gps with an ipaq 3790 - apologies if I'm wrong.

When I set mine up (before getting Gpsgate) the onboard gps manager introduced incredible delays when using memory map.

Hadn't seen that problem with WM GPS manager, but I've only used it with "built in" GPSrs.

And yes, you're right, he was using an external GPS, I got my threads crossed, sorry :( .

Rgds, Andy