MEMORY MAP

We have been geocaching for almost 18 months now and are well and truely hooked, because of this we are wanting to download more waypoints for every trip.

At the moment they go from geocaching.com to easy gps to garmin etrex venture to memory map on pc to memory map on navman pin570.

Is there any way we can get them direct to the navman this isn't set up for internet access (because we don't know how)

I hope someone can help us spend less time at the computer and more time out hunting.

Are you going to the Mega Event? Dave from the PP's and I are doing a 'session' on paperless caching and will answer all your questions! If you are not then basically you need GSAK, load your Pocket Query into it, export a file for Memory Map so you can see all your caches. You then connect your PDA to your PC and from Mem Map download load all the waypoints etc. Then off you go.

Here is a screen shot from MM with the icons (Lordelphs). I've also written a pdf doc explaining how to do all this. You'll find it here. You are welcome to PM me with any questions.

mmexample.jpg

Chris (MrB)

I hope I'm not breaching MM copywrite with this small screenshot (I don't think so!)

Edited by The Blorenges

I hope I'm not breaching MM copywrite with this small screenshot (I don't think so!)

I don't think it will be MM you have to worry about. Ordnance Survey - different matter! :laughing::laughing:

Oddly enough..... a while I ago I wanted to put a screen shot of a walk on my webpage and emailed both MM and OS to ask about copyright.... I never got a straight answer from either. OS said it was MM who had the licence to use the maps and as it was MM I was using they should give permission. MM said as the maps were licenced from OS then OS should give permission. So I didn't bother in the end.

Chris (MrB)

I've also got a Navman 570, and a Garmin Legend. I don't know if this is the best way of doing things, but it works for me.

I use GSAK. I've got GPXView installed on Navman. I just copy the database I want onto the Navman , and GPXView lets me read them all. I've got Tomtom 6 installed on the Navman, and I transfer the cache database as POI files as well. This means I can see what caches are near where I am, which I assume is what Memory Map does for you.

I've tried Beeline GPS , which I thought was pretty good, but I've never got round to buying it.

I've just come back from Canada, where I had about 1500 caches loaded on the Navman .Unfortunately DD left it turned on, and I lost all the data. I still managed to do a few, but she knew I wasn't happy. If you want any more info contact me, as I've got to go out now.

Just reread your post. It's easy to transfer data using a program called Activesync from Microsoft. You should have it in the box that the Navman came in.

Edited by thewilddogclub

Thanks for the help. I have got so far, installed GSAK and downloaded waypoints to there from there to MM and then on to PDA. Got totally lost reading the pdf file telling me how to transfer lordelphs icons so only have flags at the moment. Also have GPXview on PDA as suggested by thewilddogclub but have no idea how to view anything other than the demo!!

Don't know what I have done now but I can't open any maps on PDA

No It's OK they are back phew!

The best we can do is come to the mega event and listen to the paperless cache session.

Hope to see you there

Thanks also to everyone else for all the helpful hints and tips

Even managed to send a blank reply that was clever!!

Edited by the butterfly seekers

Are you going to the Mega Event? Dave from the PP's and I are doing a 'session' on paperless caching and will answer all your questions! If you are not then basically you need GSAK, load your Pocket Query into it, export a file for Memory Map so you can see all your caches. You then connect your PDA to your PC and from Mem Map download load all the waypoints etc. Then off you go.

Here is a screen shot from MM with the icons (Lordelphs). I've also written a pdf doc explaining how to do all this. You'll find it here. You are welcome to PM me with any questions.

mmexample.jpg

Chris (MrB)

I'm currently in the process of shifting over to paperless caching having just bought a Pocket PC earlier on in the week. Although not directly related, the comments in this thread have been helpful.

I currently use pocket queries GPX files and load them directly into GPXView on the Pocket PC.

I also export Memory Map icon files (Ta LordElph) into Memory map on the same Pocket PC.

As I'm new to this there are probably other tools and easier ways - and I'm sure this has been discussed previously too and I'll be researching into this a lot more over the coming days.