How to Eliminate unwanted caches

W. B. Taylor

I hate puzzle caches. Is there a way to make it so when you look at the caches closest to your home they don't show up? Since I have gotten all the caches around my home except for puzzle caches I have to wade through all of them to find real caches. I would just like to be able to delete them or set my preferances so I don't have to look at them ever again. Every time I see them it reminds me how stupid I am 'cause I can't figure them out.

WB Taylor

Norther Utah ;)

Edited by wbtaylor

Since you are a Premium Member use a Pocket Query and just don't select Puzzle caches. Load the PQ into Google Earth and you will see all of your unfound caches without the Puzzles. Unfortunately, we can't filter to that level using the on-line GC.com Google Maps.

I hate puzzle caches. Is there a way to make it so when you look at the caches closest to your home they don't show up? Since I have gotten all the caches around my home except for puzzle caches I have to wade through all of them to find real caches. I would just like to be able to delete them or set my preferances so I don't have to look at them ever again. Every time I see them it reminds me how stupid I am 'cause I can't figure them out.

WB Taylor

Norther Utah :D

I am not fond of puzzles, either. Sometimes I really would just love to have a set of coordinates to plug in and go find a box w/o having it be a micro, or to figure out a puzzle before I leave the house. I mean, really... if I'm gonna sit at home on my butt, I've got so many better things I could be doing other than solving puzzles. ;)

So, seriously, design your pocket queries so that you're not downloading unknown caches. I run one that doesn't include any puzzles or micro's which mostly makes me a pretty happy cacher. The only part that needs some fixing is that from my account page, when I want to look at what's nearest and dearest, everything is puzzles from here to eternity. Ugh.

I skip that for the most part, and go directly to the PQ page and look at what the latest PQ pulled up for me and go from there.

michelle

Just to point out that Unknown/Mystery caches are not necessarily puzzles, so by eliminating them you may also be eliminating some non-puzzle caches.

For instance, it's common that a series of caches ends with a "bonus" cache, which is set to be "Unknown". To get the coordinates you pick up numbers or codes as you find caches in the series.

There should really be an attribute for puzzles: or better, puzzles should be in a cache category. Then you could ignore the category, Waymarking-style.

Not all puzzle caches are hard. Some are puzzle caches out of necessity. We have one that is like this. The only way to get everyone to read the cache page is to make it a puzzle cache.

I just would hate to see people rule out puzzle caches without even looking at them. We did this when we first started and the puzzle cache was so easy. It really was hardly a puzzle! We did find it later but it took an extra hiking trip even though we had already been by this spot before.

WB Taylor

Norther Utah :laughing:

You can go to the advanced search page and look for one certain type. From the home page click on "HIDE & SEEK A CACHE" on the left side menu bar. Then scroll down and look for "advanced search options" about 3/4 the way down on the left side under the green boxes. You don't need to be a premium member either. :laughing: