Ok, so I know no schools but....

I know that "Caches near, on or under public structures deemed potential or possible targets for terrorist attacks. These may include but are not limited to highway bridges, dams, government buildings, elementary and secondary schools, and airports" are not allowed, but I'm assuming that means hiding one on a college campus would be acceptable, assuming of course that I had the appropriate permission?

Assuming that that true, my question is this: does anyone have any experience doing this sort of thing? Are they likely to be muggled (the place I'm thinking of has some very rarely-visited areas, but still)? Who do you go to for permission? Is there anything else I need to know?

Not looking to do this anytime soon, just thought I'd ask so as to have plenty of time for a response :D

Yes, the wording is intended to leave open the possibility of hiding a cache on a college or university campus. In the US that would be a "post-secondary" school.

Many college campuses have sections that are open to the public, such as nature trails, fitness trails, biological study areas, research forests, etc. These can be great places for caches. Some have actually adopted geocaching policies. Your reviewer can help for major colleges in your area. Also, check with local geocachers who have hidden caches on the same campus, if any, and ask if they spoke with anyone.

Good points of contact at a college or university are the campus security department, the physical plant department, the academic department responsible for the property (i.e., Forestry School for the research forest example), or the community relations office.

I have found caches on both college campuses and elementary school grounds. In both cases the faculty and security was well aware of the cache.

They are just as likely to be muggled as many other locations. If the public has access to the area there is always that chance. The greater the muggle traffic, the greater the chance with adjustments for the skill of the placement, etc.

Your reviewer can help for major colleges in your area.

How do I know who that is, and how do I contact them? I'm such a newbie, sorry :rolleyes: . Not planning on actually hiding one until I've found a few more, but planning ahead is always a good thing :rolleyes:

Thanks both of you for the information so far. I'll go check if there are any there already, I honestly hadn't even considered that possibility. Which seems quite silly now that I think about it :rolleyes:

I did one at a local community college where the cache was hanging on the Campus Security building ! - They knew about it.

I did one today that was in front of a local Juvenile Hall. It was put there by one of the guys manning the front desk. He said to wave because you are on camera!

Edited by Wacka