Colorado - Where are my catches

tvoivo

I am new to geocatching so:

I just purchached a Garmin Colorado 300.

As a premium member I downloaded - one by one - MANY catches to the unit.

The first apx 120 catches shows fine in the list. Any additional catches are invisible in the list regardless of distance or any other thing I can figure. They only shows in the Windows Explorer when connected to PC.

Even when I delete a catch and re-insert it it will not show up.

All catches apears in the "E:\Garmin\GPX" folder.

How do I make them show up in the list and at the map??

Thanks in advance

TvoIvo

I am new to geocatching so:

I just purchached a Garmin Colorado 300.

As a premium member I downloaded - one by one - MANY catches to the unit.

The first apx 120 catches shows fine in the list. Any additional catches are invisible in the list regardless of distance or any other thing I can figure. They only shows in the Windows Explorer when connected to PC.

Even when I delete a catch and re-insert it it will not show up.

All catches apears in the "E:\Garmin\GPX" folder.

How do I make them show up in the list and at the map??

Thanks in advance

TvoIvo

I'm guessing that the unit only lists the first 120. Try spelling one of the hidden ones and see if it shows up that way.

Also, rather than downloading them one by one, since you're a premium member, create and run a Pocket Query which will deliver a single GPX file to your Email. Unzip the file you receive and transfer it to your GPX directory on your Garmin. Much faster.

Also, I don't know if there is a limit to the number of individual GPX files you can have on the Colorado. You might have it hit that as well.

You've by no means passed the limit of caches your unit can hold. It will do up to 2000 caches. When you're at the list of caches try going to options (left softkey) and select "Spell...". The whole idea of the list is to show the ones nearest to you; as far as I know it won't list alphabetically just by distance. If you can't get the cache you want show up post back here.

Edited by stepshep

The Colorado will hold up to 2000 geocaches, but will only read 128 .gpx files. If you load more than 128 files, they will show up in Mass Storage Mode, but won’t show up on the map or in the geocache list. It is much better to use pocket queries to load large numbers of caches.

Thanks so far.

Spell the name was not the trick. They just dont show up.

Today a new "feature". The CLOSEST 10 or so catches are now missing. And can not be retrieved by spelling or by code. When I look in the file listing (E:\Garmin\GPX) the caches are all there.

Fustrating - you bet.

When you load goecaches one at a time each geocache creates a .gpx file. The Colorado can only display 127 .gpx files. You have reached the Colorado’s limit of 127 separate .gpx files. Pocket Quires can save 500 geocaches in one .gpx file. You can create 4 Pocket Quires with 500 caches in each .gpx file (total 2000 caches) and then send them to your email. You then take these .gpx files and paste them in the “GPX” folder in your gps. Look here for more detail.

Edit: .gpx file limit is 200 with 2.54b firmware.

Edited by Cacheoholic

Although it's not the problem here, I believe there is also a limit on the number of caches which show up in the cache list. The list is sorted in order of increasing distance from your current location, so very distant caches may not show up in the list even though they are on the unit. Unfortunately, I don't remember the limit and did not find it on the wiki.