Etrex Vista Hcx - Ouside seal has come loose

jlfbos

Etrex Vista Hcx

Within one year (and 200 caches), the outside seal has come loose!

Seems the glue used during production is not meeting the requirements of the normal use of the Etrex Vista Hcx

Anyone who has positve experience with a DIY repair?

Please let me know.

Tnx

Jan

After having emailed Garmin 2-3 weeks ago ( nor reply ), I called them.

Calling them, the reply of Garmin Europe (UK) was: we have no spare parts. Please send us your Garmin and in about 10 days we will send you a new one.

I asked them to just send me the outer seal, as I think as Electr. Engineer I can replace the seal.

But they insist: we have no spare parts and just replace units received for repair.....

Strange policy, however now I understand why todays price of the Garmin Vista Etrex Hcx is still $425-450 ( a year ago >$500.

So what will happen if someone has a a defect Garmin Vista Etrex Hcx, after the waranty period is over? One can only guess about the charges by Garmin Europe (UK).

I have a Vista CX with the same problem after about 300 caches. Called Garmin today and they said they no longer send the rubber outside seal or the adhesive. But they would fix it at no charge (other than my shipping $$'s, which was $1.85).

They said about a 10 day turn around time. Whether they fix the original or send me a new one, I really don't care. I have had no other problems with the unit after the original firmware update. Good unit.

With the hot summers here, i've given up sending it back. I take the band off, clean up the old adhesive with "goo off", place a layer of silicone aquarium sealant on the unit under where the gasket will be, **being careful not to cover up the buttons**. I then replace the gasket, wipe off the excess, let dry o/n or longer. Lasts for over a year like that.

Following the Garmin(UK) response not to having a replacement outer seal for my Garmin Etrex Vista Hcx, I decided to repair it myself.

In fact it turned out to be an easy job!

- Remove the outer rubber seal from the GPS.

- Observe the transparent tape that now becomes visible. Do not remove that tape.

- Simply remove the remaining glue from the rubber seal and from the transparent tape with normal fuel and let dry

- Put a thin layer of normal transparent silicone kit (DIY shop) on the transparent tape.

- Put back in place the outer rubber seal.

- Put some rubber bands around the seal to put some pressure on it, while the silicone kit is drying.

- Let dry for 24 hours.

- And remove the rubber bands.

Repair-1.jpg

Repair-2.jpg

Repair-3.jpg