Caches found binder

After finding my 4th cache I decided that using a binder with all the caching web pages that I have found in it to help me remeber which ones I have found and what the experince was finding it. They are all in order of how I found them, with a list in the front in order. I was just wondering if anyone else has done the same thing, or is this was a wacky idea.

I started doing that with the first 10 or so I found...then I asked myself why I was keeping one more stack of papers around when I could just look at everything online. I went totally paperless shortly after that and haven't looked back.

Of course, I don't understand the appeal of scrapbooking either.

I started the same way. I even had a sheet of smiley stickers that I used beside each cache I found that I put in my book as well. I began finding it difficult to keep track, and my binder would open & the pages would spill out. Now I use my digital camera and every day I return home from caching I upload the photos from my camera onto the computer and rename them to coincide with the cache name. I can look at my personal finds and I still remember each find, and for me, I believe this is because I have a visual journal reference.

I too started out doin this. Printed out every cache I found and printed out smaller versions of pics I took at that cache and put them with every printout. I filled one binder at 250. I stopped printing them out at 300. It just got to be too much. Right now I am in the process of making a spreadsheet with all my finds on them. That way, I still have the info in archive and all my pics are in one big folder on the computer and backed up on CD. I have also found my self as of late not wanting to log on and log my finds...lol. Think I am getting lazy

I started out printing only page one of a cache sheet. Turned it over and printed the map from Google on the back. I use it to find my way to the cache area. I have a dash mounted Garmin Streetpilot 550 on the dash. I have saved all my cache finds since I started in 2003. I keep notes on the cache sheet because many of my fellow cachers will call me when they need help. Especially when I find a cache far off from the posted coords. Yeah I know its a lot of work but being 73 years old in Sept 2008, memory is not so good anymore. Seems I can't remember all the details of my 4224 fins...so far. Besides, it's fun to just look back now and then.

I started out printing only page one of a cache sheet. Turned it over and printed the map from Google on the back. I use it to find my way to the cache area. I have a dash mounted Garmin Streetpilot 550 on the dash. I have saved all my cache finds since I started in 2003. I keep notes on the cache sheet because many of my fellow cachers will call me when they need help. Especially when I find a cache far off from the posted coords. Yeah I know its a lot of work but being 73 years old in Sept 2008, memory is not so good anymore. Seems I can't remember all the details of my 4224 fins...so far. Besides, it's fun to just look back now and then.

That reminds me of what my father did when we got him his first computer about 10 years ago. He would print out almost every interesting webpage he came to and stick it in a notebook.

Eventually we broke him of that (for the most part). I guess old habits are hard to break.

I guess old habits are hard to break.

Amazingly hard to break!

Reminds me of something I discovered post-Katrina. I went to Biloxi MS as part of the amateur radio response effort.

One shall-remain-nameless major organization had a system for us ham operators to pass Health &Welfare message traffic with.

They had ham operators all over the country outside the disaster zone listening for those of us in it so we could send out messages, which they would copy onto a standardized form and deliver either online or by radio-relay to the agency, who would put them into a database for immediate delivery to the recipient.

Fast, accurate and reliable, right? We're talking about traffic that had to get through fast... "Dad, Bill and I are okay but we lost Chad, the house is gone, send money Western Union" (an actual example) and so forth.

Then some schmuck in Atlanta would print every message in the database and SNAIL MAIL the printout to the recipient!!

Talk about old habits being hard to break!

Back on topic, I have seen some of these scrapbooks, saw one at an event where a lady had thousands of finds, had pasted pics and made notes on the pages, it took several books but man it rocked!

I just don't have that kind of focus and desire, but man if I had kept one over the years what great stories it could tell!

After finding my 4th cache I decided that using a binder with all the caching web pages that I have found in it to help me remeber which ones I have found and what the experince was finding it. They are all in order of how I found them, with a list in the front in order. I was just wondering if anyone else has done the same thing, or is this was a wacky idea.

I was doing a version of it on my PC for the first year. As I progressed, it became a lot of work copying and pasting and making sure pictures and logs were in the right order. (Oi!) Then like the others that posted, I discovered I already had this cool log in my profile that kept track of everything I did, and I also realized wasn't having any more fun keeping a personal log on my system. I started making my first key decision on how to keep the fun in my game and lightened the workload. I just deleted that document about 6 months ago with no second looks and no regrets.

Well, I did... I found 4 on my first day. I had printed the entire cache page. Saved the first page, with any notes and filed them into the lower right hand desk drawer. Today, just a couple of days past my 2 year Geo-Anniversary, #1200 went in, and the Drawer Is Gettin' FAT. When I went to the IPAQ/CacheMate I still printed the 1st page for the file drawer.

I also save each month in a seperate, dated (2008_07.txt) file. Then those are backed up to a CDRW disc, as needed and the tape drive in the file server nightly. BTW at work, my job is System/Network Administrator, so I guess some of the OCD/Old Habits were learned from the shool of hard knocks.

Record retention and backups are kind of like insurance... Ya don't need it till ya need it, then if ya don't have it, it's too late.

Do whatever floats your boat, my system is just the habitual work routine, doesn't take all that long, and seems to work for me so far.

Edited by GoPhast

I just use this website's cache logs. They give my finds listed by date and order of find, in my profile and I can click on the log link and see my original log and associated photos. No need for any other method for to remember which ones I found and what the experience was. It's all done automatically.

Edited by briansnat

We have a book with all of our logs. We print out the log page with the best pictures, if we have a few good snapshots we compile them. We occasionally sit and go through them, the logs and photos tell a story. Its like having a photo album but with better descriptions than Long Mynd 2006.

It does force us to write good logs that will help us remember the day a few years or months later.

Id not like to forget these days for example

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...92-db6f62408541

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...a5-75dda41315ba

As for not using the website well it may not last forever ? and photos dont come through in your my finds PQ's.