Very confused about paperless caching?

Ok, So I scored an HP Jornada 540 for free from one of my parents friends because the screen has a little orange dot on one side that wont go away. I was looking forward to using it for paperless caching but havent been able to figure out how to do so yet. I tried the latest versions of gps sonar and gpx view, and they both do not work with windows mobile 3.0, (its an older operating system). I do not think I can upgrade os systems without putting in a new rom and im not going to do that. Is there any way to view gpx files on an older pocket pc?

Thanks,

Phycon5

I don't use pocket pc, but palm. That being said, my solution should still work for you. I keep my caches in GSAK. I export it as html, and then read it on my palm using plucker (open source html reader). There is a version of plucker for poclet PC - I don't see why it wouldn't work for you also.

Hope this helps.

Welcome to the Forums! :D

As others have suggested, you might be able to use the PPC version of Cachemate on that PDA. If it won't work, you can get a Palm m500 for less than $30.00 on eBay. I've been using one of those for several years and it works great. You don't have to spend a lot of money to get a PDA that connects with USB and works great for caching.

As others have suggested, you might be able to use the PPC version of Cachemate on that PDA. If it won't work, you can get a Palm m500 for less than $30.00 on eBay. I've been using one of those for several years and it works great. You don't have to spend a lot of money to get a PDA that connects with USB and works great for caching.

What he said!

For the past few months, I've been printing up a storm for my upcoming caching trips, only to find that I use 2-3 of the sheets each time. I busted out an old Palm Pilot and installed Cachemate. I use CM Convert to convert the GPX files to Palm Cachemate .pdb format and use GSAK to convert the GPX to Magellan .upt format. Works great! I'm sure I can even do this in fewer steps? Anyway, using the Palm and GPS works great. I can even make notes on the Palm Cachemate as to found, took/left, etc. I'm pretty darn happy at the moment ... epsecially since I was thinking I had to shell out $500 for a Colorado!

Jeff

"I find no cache before it's found"

What he said!

For the past few months, I've been printing up a storm for my upcoming caching trips, only to find that I use 2-3 of the sheets each time. I busted out an old Palm Pilot and installed Cachemate. I use CM Convert to convert the GPX files to Palm Cachemate .pdb format and use GSAK to convert the GPX to Magellan .upt format. Works great! I'm sure I can even do this in fewer steps? Anyway, using the Palm and GPS works great. I can even make notes on the Palm Cachemate as to found, took/left, etc. I'm pretty darn happy at the moment ... epsecially since I was thinking I had to shell out $500 for a Colorado!

Jeff

GSAK can export a Cachemate .pdb for you, it has CM Convert 'under the hood'. If you wanted to you could export a subset of that PQ.

What he said!

Jeff

GSAK can export a Cachemate .pdb for you, it has CM Convert 'under the hood'. If you wanted to you could export a subset of that PQ.

Excellent! I just tried it and it's going to save me yet another step! Thanks for the tip!

Did you try cachemate? (http://smittyware.com) It's pretty much the gold standard for paperless caching.

Does it load the full cache pages (including images, and logs) ?

Although this question was not directed at me, I can tell you that Cachemate does list the logs. You can set it up to store a specific number of logs, like in my case, I only store the five most recent logs. I don't think it has the capability to managed the photos, but I could be wrong. As far as loading the "pages", it does a step better. This is a real application that allows you to not only read the data, but also manipulate it. Besides viewing all the pertinent inforamtion, you can enter the date/time that you found (or didn't find) the cache, you can bookmark, categorize, enter left/took information, decode the hint, and more. I'm really happy with this small investment!

Did you try cachemate? (http://smittyware.com) It's pretty much the gold standard for paperless caching.

Logs, yes!

Images, no.

If there is an image on a cache page that is needed to find the cache, it must be printed separately...or uploaded separately to your PDA. Many PDAs can display photos, but I'd be surprised if you could get a good enough look at the photo on that small screen to help with your search! YMMV.

If there is an image on a cache page that is needed to find the cache, it must be printed separately...or uploaded separately to your PDA.

Hmm... too bad. For quite a few caches in my area you need some info from an image ... sometimes for the puzzle, sometimes as a spoiler picture, or sometimes it's just nice for background information on the area.

Do the images get downloaded with GPX files at all? (if no, then cachemate or any other program can't help in any case).

Logs, yes!

Images, no.

If there is an image on a cache page that is needed to find the cache, it must be printed separately...or uploaded separately to your PDA. Many PDAs can display photos, but I'd be surprised if you could get a good enough look at the photo on that small screen to help with your search! YMMV.

I use Spoilersync to download images to my PDA. They can be linked quite nicely to Cachemate, so I can see any relevant images for any cache in the Cachemate database.

If there is an image on a cache page that is needed to find the cache, it must be printed separately...or uploaded separately to your PDA.

Hmm... too bad. For quite a few caches in my area you need some info from an image ... sometimes for the puzzle, sometimes as a spoiler picture, or sometimes it's just nice for background information on the area.

Do the images get downloaded with GPX files at all? (if no, then cachemate or any other program can't help in any case).

You can get spoiler pics on a PocketPC by using Spoilersync. You could use it to get other pics too, though that is not it's intended use. Use this in conjunction with the Spoilersync Cachemate plug-in (PocketPC only).

No one has mentioned Geoscout for paperless caching. Its on the pricey side ($40) but is an all in one solution. It will even d/l street level maps from the web to help navigate to the cache. It will d/l images and logs along with all the other pertinent data including the clue with a decrypt option. Also, it will track travel bugs and the writer updates the prog regularly. Heres the link: http://80.189.103.220/default.htm?geoscout

I've just started going paperless a month ago and found I want more, more, more!

I'm having trouble figuring out how to upload found results from Cachemate to GSAK and then to geocaching.com.

And how to format the GSAK download to my Vista HCX so that I can reference both my Palm and the Vista by the cache code (number).

Also, if you are working on a multiple that requires finding answers to questions, how can you prevent it from being overwritten or replaced in GSAK or Cachemate?