Garmin 60Csx or 76Csx

hlq

Hi having just found this site a few days ago I'd first like to say hello and thank you for all the great information on geochaching. It looks like a great sport and I am looking forward to lots of hours of enjoyment.

I currently own a Magellan Sport that I have had for years and although it still works I know that it isn't up to par with the new GPS's. I have been looking at both the 60Csx and 76Csx as they both seem to be great units.

My questions

1. Is there an advantage that one has over the other in terms of features or function?

2. If you've used both which do you prefer and why?

Thanks for you response

hlq

The 76 series is intended to be more water-friendly, I believe. If you don't plan on doing a lot of boating or marine-related activities with it, I'd go with the 60, which is far more ergonomically suited to carrying around while you hike. The 76 is a bit of a brick compared to the 60. Try finding a store that has them both in stock and look at them side by side.

I've had a 76CSx for nearly a year and I love it. I personally like having the buttons above the screen.

When I was looking to buy, the 76CSx was cheaper, which swung it for me.

Somebody in another thread also pointed out that the back of the 76 is flat, so it sits on the dashboard of their car without sliding off.

Edited by Crid

I prefer the 60 because it's a bit smaller and fits nicely in the hand. It seems most people prefer the 60 because it outsells the 76 by a wide margin. This is probably why you can usually get the 76 slightly cheaper than the 60 even though the list price is higher.

I guess the chief advantage the 76 has is that it floats, which is key if you will be using it on the water.

Here is a good visual comparison: Thread

I had a 76CSx that I used for over a year that I gave to my son after I bought a new ETREX VISTA HCX. I really like the Vista even though I am having a hard time remembering which button does what now that they are all on the side and I can not see them. I never tested the floating aspect of the 76 I just did not feel like dropping an expensive electronic device in a bucket of water so I will take Garmins word on it.

I liked the lay out of the contorls of the 76 over the Vista I guess because that is what I got used to first. The reason I got the new one it seemed like the eletronic compass started acting up and it was out of warranty. My son is over in Iraq using it right now without any problems though. The 76 is a lot heavier than the 60 but it is just what you want. I do not regret getting the Vista for one minute it does everything the 76 does just different.

I started with the 76Cs and now have the 76CSx. I love the unit and find that it sits firmly in my hand while I operate the buttons with my thumb. I've never used the 60 series so I can't say if I'd find the buttons as easy to use or not. Both use the same "guts" so it's a matter of personal preference. I love the 76CSx.

Thanks to all for the information, it really helped. At this point I am leaning toward the 76Csx as it is a little less expensive and I do spend a fair amount of time on the water. Thanks for the link to the prior thread briansnat, that was some great information.

If anyone has any other thoughts on these units please feel free to share them. :)

hlq

Having a unit that floats is not always a good thing. I dropped my 60 into a river in Chicago last year. If it had floated like the 76 I could have waived goodbye to it as it floated into the Great Lakes. As it was I was able to spot it at the bottom of the river still working and retrieved it.

Having a unit that floats is not always a good thing. I dropped my 60 into a river in Chicago last year. If it had floated like the 76 I could have waived goodbye to it as it floated into the Great Lakes. As it was I was able to spot it at the bottom of the river still working and retrieved it.

Good point, in a fast moving stream floating could be a problem too I guess.