Geotagging photos

Does anyone geotag their cache photos?

I plan on doing it, I'm just not sure if GC.com keeps that part of the EXIF data.

If you have geotagged your photos on GC, please send me the link to the log so I can see if my app will pick up the Geotag.

If this has been covered, please ignore the post and point me in the right place

I plan on doing it, I'm just not sure if GC.com keeps that part of the EXIF data.

If you have geotagged your photos on GC, please send me the link to the log so I can see if my app will pick up the Geotag.

If this has been covered, please ignore the post and point me in the right place

I might have just made part of my next mystery cache.

Yes, it's retained.

And that would be a tough puzzle. . . if it was 2003. Today, it's just one more entry on the "list of the obvious things to look for", along with text in white font, text hidden as an html comment, alt text, micro images, etc., etc., etc.

Firefox ExIf Viewer Extension

And that would be a tough puzzle. . . if it was 2003. Today, it's just one more entry on the "list of the obvious things to look for", along with text in white font, text hidden as an html comment, alt text, micro images, etc., etc., etc.

I was only thinking in a Prove you were there type of cache, wher eyou have to send the geotagged picture.

I tested out the exit data and saw it was retained

I was only thinking in a Prove you were there type of cache, wher eyou have to send the geotagged picture.

Very few cameras can geotag. I believe it's patented and restricted to a single manufacturer... right? On the other hand, anyone with access to decent image editing software (Photoshop, Paint Shop, etc.) can edit the EXIF tags after the fact.

Very few cameras can geotag. I believe it's patented and restricted to a single manufacturer... right? On the other hand, anyone with access to decent image editing software (Photoshop, Paint Shop, etc.) can edit the EXIF tags after the fact.

You dont even need that. As long as your GPS and camera have their time synced, there are a few free apps out there that will add the tags to them. I think EasyGPS will do it judging from Isonzo Karst's posted link

Since most geotagging is done after the fact, that would be incredibly easy to fake.

And nobody fakes real logs? I bet there are tons of people who say they find it and dont. And I bet alot dont get caught. If you want to cheat that fine, its your game.

With that said there are limited angels that you can take pictures of the cache. If I have a cache near a farm and your picture shows a skyscraper, its an obvious fake.

Since most geotagging is done after the fact, that would be incredibly easy to fake.

And nobody fakes real logs? I bet there are tons of people who say they find it and dont. And I bet alot dont get caught. If you want to cheat that fine, its your game.

With that said there are limited angels that you can take pictures of the cache. If I have a cache near a farm and your picture shows a skyscraper, its an obvious fake.

Then it fails your requirement:

But, you're the one who wanted to use geotagging to "prove" they were there.

Either you care if the log is a fake, or you don't.

The only person allowed to take both sides of an issue simultaneously is John McCain. :D

But, you're the one who wanted to use geotagging to "prove" they were there.

Either you care if the log is a fake, or you don't.

The only person allowed to take both sides of an issue simultaneously is John McCain. :D

:D

I meant that as a counter to your point about cheating on the EXIf data. I really dont care. I have been to a lot of caches where I have to send a picture of myself at a location, why cant I have a cache where you can take a picture from any angle at that location. And, to prove(or imply) that the picture was taken at GZ, the geotagging of the picture would be required.

As a photographer in another hobby, I know there are hundreds of angles that can be taken of the same vase of flowers, each would be different but all at the same place. If you want o go through the trouble of putting in a false tag, and show me a picture taken in Hawaii when the cache is in Kansas (best I can think of at the moment), its up to you. I can delete it or give credit for the comedy of the picture. It would be funny to take the micro container, and say, put it in the nose of Washington @ MT Rushmore for a cache in MD.

It would be fun. There are a lot of creative people.

But we have strayed a bit, partially my fault. One of the Q's have been answered. Yes the data is retained (Tested it myself). Would I be/Am I the only person that puts it in thier gallery shots? Not really important. Making it part of a cache requirement is not a major twist on the game. But I may do a cache like that, just to make things different.

But if locationless caches we all the rage, this would be good to use there as well

I know I am jumping around a bit on my stance. But I am seeing some good points in some of the comments and adapting B)

I really just wanted to know if anyone used them or cared.

Edited by crosschk

And who really cares if someone fakes a log? Oh know someone got an undeserved smiley. Big flipping deal. Unless of course you measure yourself against others smileys. :D Seriously all these extra requirements people are adding to "log" a cache is BS. Signing the Log is the only requirement. Even though that can be faked since I can write anybodies name in the log as well as tear pages out so that I got the FTF. (I don't do any of that by the way.)

And who really cares if someone fakes a log? Oh know someone got an undeserved smiley. Big flipping deal. Unless of course you measure yourself against others smileys. :D Seriously all these extra requirements people are adding to "log" a cache is BS. Signing the Log is the only requirement. Even though that can be faked since I can write anybodies name in the log as well as tear pages out so that I got the FTF. (I don't do any of that by the way.)

There are a ton of caches that don't even have a log. They are Virtual caches. So this would be good there to.

So like every other cache out there, there are pros and cons, some may like it and some may hate it.

If you dont like it, dont seek it.

Unless your OCD will not let you leave a green box in your local map, then you have you own demons to fight