How open are churches to the idea of using their grounds?

OK, I've found a few caches now, I'm getting a feel for what makes a good hide, and what makes somewhere unsuitable to place a cache.

So while I was out today (the wifes away for the weekend, so I found 3 caches while I was out and I've 3 more caching days ahead), I had a look round my local church, Its a lovely old building, with about 20 graves for RAF servicemen during WW2, which to me makes it an interesting place to visit alone.

Paying more attention to the trees at the back of the church yard I found one right in the corner that seems ideal for placing a cache.

I've got the contact details for the parish, to see if they are willing to grant permission for me to place a cache in the church grounds. However I'd like to get some opinion on how receptive the church is to placing caches, from anyone who's had dealings with them. Any tips, besides start praying, or going to church on Sundays?

Hmmmmm, I'd have to say that I doubt they'd be that interested - though I stand corrected, as I'm given to believe that there are some caching clergy out there :ph34r:

Why don't you take a leaf out of sadexploration's book and place a 'Church Micro' cache? There are loads around our way (Woking Wonders have placed loads too). They draw attention to the church, its grounds etc. without actually making cachers enter the grounds unnecessarily (though sometimes the clues are within the grounds).

I've found quite a few Church Micros and have often taken the time to visit the church grounds afterwards (after caching, I mean :D ), in peace and quiet, simply because I've found them so lovely.

That's my two-penneth worth anyway. Welcome to this wonderful sport / hobby / pastime / addiction! :lol:

Judging from various churchyard-related threads here over the years, vicars tend to be very happy to welcome the geocaching fraternity. Leave a couple of gold geocoins in the collecting box (make sure that they're yours though!).
Generally YES, in my experience. Most clergy are aware of the historical treasures of which they are guardians and are only too pleased to encourage informed visitors. Always make contact with your local vicar/prelate. Several times I have met clergy and both of us have pretended to each other: I that I was just a general history freak, and the other that he had no idea why I should be so interested at all unless perchance it was to do with that tupperware nearby. The 'X' Marks the Spot series in Surrey have several classic churches!

There are a series of caches in Norfolk/Suffolk placed in churchyards were you don't have to rummage all around the churchyard, so have no problems with them.

However, I have come across micros INSIDE "broken" tombs and many hidden in ivy covered grave stones. Have had one "run-in" with a church warden, cache inside a rubber chicken in a yew tree , placed without permission issue.

May just be me but I always feel "uncomfortable" lurking/searching around churchyards.

I did try to place a cache in a local churchyard (village of Toddington J13 of the M1) because it has a grave with a date of 31/04/XX (Don't remember the year) and I thought it was quite curious. Local "church council" were horrified at the idea and had visions of lots of people running all over the churchyard and I think they said something like "showing no respect to the buried and their relatives", didn't bother after that!!!!

Nick

I have found that some of the most interesting caches I have done have been churchyard caches or in cemeteries. The cache itself doesn't have to be placed in the graveyard, but it could be made into a puzzle (unknown) cache, by having the searchers get numbers off of the stones to make out the coords and have the cache hidden nearby. I may be strange, but I do like wandering through an old graveyard and reading all the tombstones. And I find it fun to look for particular stones, especially if they are interesting!

After reading the thread suggested by Stuey, and a little more from some others, I think I'll be going ahead with trying to get the appropriate permissions.

The church itself is a parish church that dates back to the 13th century, although theres no regular preist, the church is open all the time to visit.

Plus theres very little in the area in the way of caches, so a few new caches in the area would be a good thing.

After reading the thread suggested by Stuey, and a little more from some others, I think I'll be going ahead with trying to get the appropriate permissions.

The church itself is a parish church that dates back to the 13th century, although theres no regular preist, the church is open all the time to visit.

Plus theres very little in the area in the way of caches, so a few new caches in the area would be a good thing.

Good luck!

Here's a good example that I enjoyed (even though the cache is outside the church grounds).

May just be me but I always feel "uncomfortable" lurking/searching around churchyards.

We concur - as we do not frequent these places normally, we would be very embarrassed to be greeted by some-one who was a keen church-goer and thought we were too. It just doesn't feel right to us so we simply don't visit these.

If the cache is outside the grounds, this should be stated - we'd be happy to seek them.

Caches in church grounds - we avoid 'em. Perhaps we'd be happier if it was clearly that the setter had specifically obtained approval and that all visitors were welcome to rummage around...

We have had active discussions on this matter with our local parish vicar and he is keen to have a cache placed in his churchyard due to some interesting facts regarding the church's history. He is not after the collection plate donations as the actual church is often locked nowdays. We have discussed an area and have only to have the cache container passed and the actual page contents agreed, we have held back to give Deci a break, and then it will be published. We don't even go to the church in question - so it can be done with the blessing of the vicar - it is worth the effort.

Don't lurk or be furtive: search openly whilst respecting the churchyard useage and the muggle factor. In the unlikely event that you're challenged, just say that you're looking for the geocache. If the person challenging you is a church official and doesn't know what you're talking about, the worst that can happen is that you'll have to apologise for the misunderstanding and leave. If they are REALLY annoyed (assuming that you were behaving respectfully, this is highly unlikely), just give them the website name and GC number.

We concur - as we do not frequent these places normally, we would be very embarrassed to be greeted by some-one who was a keen church-goer and thought we were too. It just doesn't feel right to us so we simply don't visit these.

If the cache is outside the grounds, this should be stated - we'd be happy to seek them.

Caches in church grounds - we avoid 'em. Perhaps we'd be happier if it was clearly that the setter had specifically obtained approval and that all visitors were welcome to rummage around...

Non-churchgoer muggles frequently visit churches and churchyards. I find them interesting places: the gravestones are a link to the history and the bygone people of the area.

If the cache hide is inappropriate, then you might not find it if you don't want to rummage in such places. But I work on the assumption that permission has been granted: it's the cache hider's problem if not. You can't be prosecuted for looking around the roots of churchyard trees.

Edited by Happy Humphrey

Surely visits by "normal" people, as normal as cachers can be :D , helps to keep the 'less desirable' visitors away?

(If you use this as a case for placeing a cache, please rephrase it better!)

I like walking around churches and church yards!

And have no problems looking for caches, as long as they are not in, on, under the gravestones or tombstones. :laughing:

Non-churchgoer muggles frequently visit churches and churchyards. I find them interesting places: the gravestones are a link to the history and the bygone people of the area.

I agree. Although I'm definitely a non-Christian I find old churchyards (and churches) fascinating places, full of history and a sense of "stability". They are places where everyone can sort of connect to the past. I've met many guardians of such places and have invariably been welcomed to look around.

Certainly be open and not furtive, you have as much right to be there as any member of the public.

Edited by big_bob