Wanting to get a GPS

sontime

I have downloaded the Geocache software to my Blackberry and it works very well. But.....I would hate to try to explain to my boss that my BB fell into a creek. I am looking to spend around 250 to 300 bucks for a GPS. From what I have read the Garmin is the only one to get downloads form the Geocache web site. I would love to have some input as to what folks think is the best in that price range and are using in the field.

I think that this is a great sport/hobby. I had a blast with my kids looking for a cache and picking the ticks off.

Mike

Thanks for the advice.

I sure do love that my BB can download cache's on the fly. I do spend a lot of time on the road. So can I download cache's for a route before I get on the road? Or are they only available for a defined radius around a location that I load.

Man hate being the new guy when it comes to this GPS stuff. But if anybody needs to know how to fix an antique clock I'm the man for that! :ph34r:

Mike

If you become a Premium Member, you can get both Pocket Queries and "Caches Along a Route."

As already recommended, the Legend HCx is a great GPS unit for the price. Some people prefer its small, convenient size as compared to the 60CSx and 76Sx. I have the Vista HCx and have it loaded with almost a 1000 "local" waypoints, as well as several thousand Custom Points of Interest.

I have to agree with Miragee ... I just got my brand spankin' new Legend HCx for a great price via Amazon. I've got it all loaded up with pocket queries I made for the routes I'll be taking on my road trip comin' up! It's a great lil' unit, with all the bells and whistles I'll ever need. I highly recommend it.

I have downloaded the Geocache software to my Blackberry and it works very well. But.....I would hate to try to explain to my boss that my BB fell into a creek. I am looking to spend around 250 to 300 bucks for a GPS. From what I have read the Garmin is the only one to get downloads form the Geocache web site. I would love to have some input as to what folks think is the best in that price range and are using in the field.

I think that this is a great sport/hobby. I had a blast with my kids looking for a cache and picking the ticks off.

Mike

I wouldn't waste money on a HCx... go for a 76CSx... it only costs 229.99USD + shipping from compuplus..

229.99 - http://www.compuplus.com/i-Garmin-GPSMAP-7...jefw1n12430s05m

Personally, I ordered mine from compuplus

Searching google for 76CSx and clicking on the top linky thing with the price range says its available for 199.99 + free shipping.

http://www.actiongps.com/Shop/Control/Prod...id/0/rid/126459

If you really want to get in to caching... Go for a colorado. Be warned there are issues with some colorado units as there were macbook units. Its not just software but hardware issues. Good thing garmin is excellent with their warranty, so no worries. My next unit will be a colorado, I'm just not sure which one I want yet.

Colorado for 389USD - http://www.compuplus.com/i-Garmin-Colorado...1-1011925~.html

the actiongps website has it for 369USD... I've never ordered from them so search the net on them if you do order.

I personally wouldn't want a 60CSx, there is no reason because its, excuse my stealing from the gun forums I'm on, tacti-cool. the 60CSx just looks cool, while it has less features, doesn't float in water, and is not one hand friendly. The 76CSx was designed to be used with one hand, why do you think the colorado is also designed to be used with one hand? The 76CSx does have tide tables as well.

;)

I'm going to recommend the Garmin GPSMap 76CSx. High sensitivity, rugged, waterproof, floats, expandable memory, auto-routing function with the right maps installed. The last time I check Amazon.com the 76CSx was about $220. all depends on what you need and want, dont forget to check Garmin's website and do a side by side comparison of their units.

I also have a 76csx and have been geo-caching for about 3 months. Many times I have been standing within five feet of the cache and a couple of times have tripped over it. There is a slight learning curve but once you get used to it, it is excellent. Puts all caches into a folder and when you find it you higlight "found" and press enter. It then puts it into the calendar which makes it easy when logging to show which ones are found. I have the tropo map in it which I never use and the 2008 nt map which I always use. This and the 60csx are very similar and each should be considered if looking at the $300 price range when you get the maps.

Thanks for all the replay's. Maybe I'll go with a 1 over 50 map, compass and and distance beads around my neck.

But it's looking like the 76csx might be the way to go.

Any body else?

Opps. So it comes with all the maps that you need to Geo pre loaded?

Thanks all

Mike

Edited by sontime

Mike

Mike what ever you decide on give it a look at REI, it may cost you a little more money but 5 / 10 years from now you can take it back & tell them your not happy with the unit and get a complete refund, which you can then use for an upgrade, also you don't have to wait years it could be weeks or months, all their gear has the same 100 percent war... good luck