dodgy

I live near a fantastic viewpoint which has had a problem with (doggers) do I place a cache there or are we scared off ? (there are barriers blocking the car park, only open at weekends) police signs up, It should be alright in the daytime the view is the best in the area. what are your thoughts.

Why risk it? Is there not any alternative to that particular location?

I can see this thread degenerating quickly, but what if there is a Dogging Cacher? :)

I suppose you could specify that it was a daylight only cache, but then you would have to give a reason in order to stop people trying it at night (the Caching, not the other thing). The trouble is there will still be people that try to do it at night, such as the passing traveling cacher.

IMHO, put it elsewhere, its safer by far... :D

Edited by careygang

I am fortunate enough to own the most visited cache in Edinburgh. Yet it is certainly not recommended at night due to the type of people that hang about the area at night. They aren't doggers, well not that I know of, but undesirable all the same.

I've had a few comments saying that they felt uncomfortable as these people have been nearby, but by far I have had good feedback and despite the negative comments it still attracts nearly all of the Geocaching visitors that come to Edinburgh.

So I say go ahead, but highlight the fact that you do not recommend any night visits, or any visit after a certain time, to allow for the summer months.

Do doggers stay up late in the summer, or do they just do it in the daylight? :D

As long as they make sure they take their mess away, rather than leave it neatly wrapped in carrier bags hung from trees, what's the problem? :)

Ermm the OP is not referring to man's 4 legged friends and what they leave behind. :D a Google search for the appropriate word will bring up what is being referred to :) [Warning if your easily offended, please do not do a search]

Oh my please not this again :D

I remember a thread to do with dogging a couple of years back, and of course me being as green as grass and wet behind the ears I had no idea what dogging was...... :)

I was told to Google it..........so me being me...........I did :D

Now you know why we aren't caching as much these days :):D:D:D:D:D

Seriously I would say it is a nice area during the day but it is not advisable to visit on a night as the area is visited by undesirables, then folks can choose for themselves, if they dont read the cache page then it's their problem :D

Also some folks might like to combine two hobbies at once :D

Mandy :D

Edited by Us 4 and Jess

Now you know why we aren't caching as much these days

Why? You mean you've taken up the other option :):D:D:)

We've, unfortunately, come across 2 instances of dogging while out caching and on both occasions it made us feel very uneasy. Neither had the activity mentioned on the cache pages. At the time the cache owners were unaware of the situation.

The first instance we had already parked up and about to set off to find the cache before all the prospective dogging participants descended on the car park.

The second, very recent, occasion we arrived at the car park to find one car parked with the (blue) interior lights on and several other vehicles positioned around it with their occupants looking towards it. We decided to make a quick departure - even what would have been a definite FTF wasn't going to tempt us. This cache was subsequently archived by the owners who felt unhappy with the situation.

I & P

I live near a fantastic viewpoint which has had a problem with (doggers) do I place a cache there or are we scared off ? (there are barriers blocking the car park, only open at weekends) police signs up, It should be alright in the daytime the view is the best in the area. what are your thoughts.

Please remember that some cachers cache alone, including younger members.

Not everyone is able to cache during the day.

Just ask yourself, would you want your teenage daughter there alone doing a cache?

As long as they make sure they take their mess away, rather than leave it neatly wrapped in carrier bags hung from trees, what's the problem? :(

Ermm the OP is not referring to man's 4 legged friends and what they leave behind. :( a Google search for the appropriate word will bring up what is being referred to :D [Warning if your easily offended, please do not do a search]

There's no smiley for tongue firmly in cheek is there! :D

I've had to archive a cache due to this, and another one in the wood was also removed and relocated some way away to avoid doggers. The area is called 'Cockshoots Woods'- We should have known better!

If you do decide to place it, warn people and react to feedback if people are saying it wasn't a good idea. So long as you inform people, they can make their own mind up as to what they will 'risk' and what they won't in the pursuit of a cache.