TFTC?

AudunO

Getting back to TFTC....

I'm guilty. But I can honestly say, when I put TFTC in the online log, I stop for a minute, have a quick look at the cache page, and remember that particular cache and the place it took me.

Yes, I'll copy and paste something like "Found this one while out caching with my daughter....etc etc...." but that doesn't mean that I'm not saying "TFTC.....Thank YOU for taking the time and effort to place this cache, because if you didn't, I wouldn't have had the pleasure of finding it"

I mean it, but I don't always say it, and this topic has made me aware how thankless a TFTC sounds.

We're living in a copy/paste world where people (a lot of people) don't even communicate with words anymore...just acronyms.

I'll make more of an effort in the future...

I thought about how I'd feel as a cache owner.....spending $ and hours to get it just right, and then have a turkey like me copy/paste a log without a couple words of thanks.

I have no caches out there yet, but I hope to be able to get the time to place a couple in an area of woods that i spent a lot of time in when I was younger (much younger). Sharing a spot where I spent hours...days, exploring, building camps with my buddies, hiding up a big tree and watching deer at dusk..... and get a TFTC log for all my hard work....yeah, I agree, it sucks.

<><

You just made my day, thanks.

...Also, I think you both may be confusing "writing" with "communicating." Just because one can communicate does not mean that they can write. ...

Communications is bi- directional. When faced with flasks comment you made an honest mistake in interpretation. When the mistake was revealed you stuck to your guns and at that point communication's ceased on your part. That leaves me with an understanding that you can write fairly well, but communicate poorly. If I have confused writing with communicating you have my apologies.

We have become much more appreciative over the years of the feelings of the cache hider. It is easy to log a TFTC and be done with it but that is just a lazy way to log a find. There isn't any way to defend it logically. If you want to be a contributing member of the game then you will post logs that are worth reading and aren't acronyms.

Edited by WRASTRO

Communications is bi- directional. When faced with flasks comment you made an honest mistake in interpretation. When the mistake was revealed you stuck to your guns and at that point communication's ceased on your part. That leaves me with an understanding that you can write fairly well, but communicate poorly. If I have confused writing with communicating you have my apologies.

I made no mistake in my interpretation, and yes, you are completely confused about the difference between writing and communicating.

As I have already said (twice), I, like most people, do not take very kindly to people who they do not know calling them names like "liar," no matter how it is meant. (I should also point out that it is my understanding that name-calling is not allowed in this forum).

Again (still trying desperately to bring this back on topic), I think it is poor form to launch such a venomous statement of personal agenda in response to a simple newbie question. Note that said newbie has not posted again in this thread or any other. That may be coincidence, it may not be. Either way, there are more appropriate places for that agenda to be discussed (such as the many page long thread about why people shouldn't write "TFTC" in their log). Think about it, and put yourself in the newbie's shoes. You don't know anyone, you don't know the community, you ask a simple question and you get that sort of response. How do you react? If you really care at all, it makes you cringe to think about it that way. Had it been me, I would have decided that this was obviously not the kind of group I wanted to associate with, and moved on to a different hobby.

People can act as cool and bad as they want and say that they really don't care how other people take what they say - but when they say those things, then they are really expressing their complete disregard for the community and its members. Nothing new, it's been going on since the beginning of time. And as I have said before, I'm not afraid in the least to call it for what it is.

Now really, this has gone on long enough. Let it go.

Edited by derangedlunatech
this topic has made me aware how thankless a TFTC sounds.

Same here. At the moment, I have only 53 finds and I don't think I've ever used just a TFTC in the log. I usually tag it on at the end of my post. Most of my posts are of the one or two sentence variety but I know there are a few that are of the "quick find TFTC" type as well. Before reading this thread, I didn't realize that might be taken as an insult by the owner. That's not to say every cache is memorable but remembering the effort someone made to place that cache is worth at least a sentence or two.

Bruce

...I made no mistake in my interpretation,...Now really, this has gone on long enough. Let it go.

You are right, you didn't make a mistake in your interpretation. You made several. First the misinterpretation. Second not learning when that error was pointed out so that you would be a wiser individual. Third, sticking to your guns when you are in the wrong thinking you are communicating. There are probably more but you are also right about the second part I quoted. This has gone on long enough. If you are unable to learn from the first mistake, you won't be learning about any others as well.

We all have our flaws. Sharing yours, I know it when I see it.

TFTP :)

Edited by Renegade Knight

You are right, you didn't make a mistake in your interpretation. You made several. First the misinterpretation. Second not learning when that error was pointed out so that you would be a wiser individual. Third, sticking to your guns when you are in the wrong thinking you are communicating. There are probably more but you are also right about the second part I quoted. This has gone on long enough. If you are unable to learn from the first mistake, you won't be learning about any others as well.

We all have our flaws. Sharing yours, I know it when I see it.

TFTP :)

You can feel free to imagine what you like. I learn from my mistakes when I make them. The mistakes I made in this case were thinking that certain people actually cared enough about this community and sport to conduct themselves in a decent and reasonable fashion, and that the topics themselves were more important than some arrogant need to always "win." What have I learned from this? That I will not allow such pointless bashing contests to continue, and I will focus more on the topics and ignore the pointless personal attacks that some people feel compelled to launch in order to drag discussions off-topic.

You are right - we all do have our flaws. In imagining what you think to be mine, you have revealed one of your own.

Have a nice day, and next time before deciding to jump into discussions with no intention other than to launch personal attacks based on your own misconceptions, think twice about it. Maybe try addressing the topics instead, and your contributions may be of some value. Please feel free to have the last word if you feel overwhelmingly compelled to do so. I am done. If you or anyone else wants to actually discuss the topic in a reasonable and adult manner, free of personal attacks and other pointless games, then I will of course be up for that.

As a CO I take pride in ALL of my caches. Most have had many hours & sometimes months of research put into them after I have given alot of thought where I want it placed. I buy good containers & FILL them, & refill them with good swag. For the few keybox or 35mm containers (5/35 caches)I make sure the location is something extra special. Each location has a great view. Most have benches to sit & enjoy the area * all include other points of interest & most have extensive American history facts.

I place caches because I really enjoy it. To get a TFTH or TFTC or found it is an easy way for the hunter to get the smiley. I really like the paste & cut comments. That so tells me how much fun the cacher had. It's even better when they put it was #? or # so many, which tells me they had a full day & now have no energy left to make a decent comment.

I know some people may not like to do the computor part but if that is such an effort then dont log anything. Just do the hunt for the sake of the hunt. Then again please dont send me an email saying the cache was 50' from the coords, especially when in the write up I have stated the signal will bounce.

When I get logs that have made some kind of comment about the location, the hunt, the results, at least I know the cacher has taken at least a min or 2 to form an opinion. I read ALL of my log emails & I may add a note on the cache page plus I will send the cacher a thank you for hunting my caches & giving good or great feed back & that Im glad they enjoyed themselves or Im sorry they had difficulty (plus an additional hint should they return).

The real bonus in a log of something other than TFTH is the chance of getting to know that cacher better & maybe even meeting them & becoming friends.

Edited by Mother Wolf

As a CO I take pride in ALL of my caches. Most have had many hours & sometimes months of research put into them after I have given alot of thought where I want it placed. I buy good containers & FILL them, & refill them with good swag. For the few keybox or 35mm containers (5/35 caches)I make sure the location is something extra special. Each location has a great view. Most have benches to sit & enjoy the area * all include other points of interest & most have extensive American history facts.

I place caches because I really enjoy it. To get a TFTH or TFTC or found it is an easy way for the hunter to get the smiley. I really like the paste & cut comments. That so tells me how much fun the cacher had. It's even better when they put it was #? or # so many, which tells me they had a full day & now have no energy left to make a decent comment.

I know some people may not like to do the computor part but if that is such an effort then dont log anything. Just do the hunt for the sake of the hunt. Then again please dont send me an email saying the cache was 50' from the coords, especially when in the write up I have stated the signal will bounce.

When I get logs that have made some kind of comment about the location, the hunt, the results, at least I know the cacher has taken at least a min or 2 to form an opinion. I read ALL of my log emails & I may add a note on the cache page plus I will send the cacher a thank you for hunting my caches & giving good or great feed back & that Im glad they enjoyed themselves or Im sorry they had difficulty (plus an additional hint should they return).

The real bonus in a log of something other than TFTH is the chance of getting to know that cacher better & maybe even meeting them & becoming friends.

I just wanted to emphasize this last sentence. I enjoy it when someone leaves an interesting, descriptive, or funny log on one of my caches, and other caches they find. I look forward to meeting them at the next Geocaching Event. I can't say that about the person who leaves TFTC or TNLNSL. :(