First time geocache hider

UPWINGER

Hi all...

I am new and did look at the rules but couldnt find the answers to my questions. :D

Whenever I try to do something, I try a to do it the best that I can...I have an idea to start a travelling geocache with the goal of getting it around the world, as it's name implies (I am going to cache an obsolete, 20+ year old, old tech Magellan GPS, still functions but not accurate enough for use in geocaching, or much of anything else!! The battery compartment will hold its log, star date, and waypoints to be added onto by each first finder, at each leg of its travels.)

My original thought was to use other published caches, in the area where I will be starting it's jouney, to hide clues as to its location. So to find it, you must find a few other caches along the way.

Is this "legal", or do I need to get permission from the other cach owners to use their caches to hold my clues?

Thanks! :D

Travelling caches are no longer allowed.

There may be a few old 'Grandfathered in" caches from before the rules were changed to stop travelling caches.

Now if you were to put a TB tag on it...

You may need to get permission from the other cache owners if you add information into their caches.

Edited by Bear and Ragged

You can make a travel bug that is a cache container, and people can log it as a TB, but you cannot ask them to hide it and post coordinates, and such. They can only move it from cache to cache, so it should fit inside another cache container. Moving caches are no longer allowed, because there is no way to approve where people place it, and too many people go looking in the previous spot, only to be majorly disappointed when they don't find it. There might be some grandfathered moving caches still out there, but they will no longer be approved as a geocache.

You will not be able to add information to someone else's cache page, other than in a log on the cache page (which will drop off the first page after a few logs). Read the instructions posted at the top of this forum on how to log a TB, to learn more about how it works.

Hi all...

I am new and did look at the rules but couldnt find the answers to my questions. :D

Whenever I try to do something, I try a to do it the best that I can...I have an idea to start a travelling geocache with the goal of getting it around the world, as it's name implies (I am going to cache an obsolete, 20+ year old, old tech Magellan GPS, still functions but not accurate enough for use in geocaching, or much of anything else!! The battery compartment will hold its log, star date, and waypoints to be added onto by each first finder, at each leg of its travels.)

My original thought was to use other published caches, in the area where I will be starting it's jouney, to hide clues as to its location. So to find it, you must find a few other caches along the way.

Is this "legal", or do I need to get permission from the other cach owners to use their caches to hold my clues?

Thanks! :D

You can place notes in any of my caches (all 8 :-) I think that putting clues in other caches is an excellent Idea. I don't see why anyone would mind as long as it wasn't something that took up a lot of room or was offensive.

Asking seems like the polite thing to do. I don't think many would mind.

No sense in putting info in someone else's cache and have it cito'd out because they had no idea of what you were doing.

Hi all...

I am new and did look at the rules but couldnt find the answers to my questions. :)

Thanks! :laughing:

Attaching a travel bug tag would probably be the best option: if you want to add information to other people's caches, you will have to get permission from the owner since they are the ones maintaining the cache page online and the cache itself. A suggestion is that if you decide to make this a TB, then perhaps under the goal's section (on the TB webpage) you can suggest cachers to add waypoints in addition to logging online ... However, the travelling cache idea is a good one ... I like your idea with having the battery compartment acting as the log holder and to allow people who find the GPS add waypoints ... it really is a neat idea :) ... too bad it's not allowed anymore though.

Thanks all!

OK... A travel bug it will be. But I want to start it off in its very own original location. I am going to remove its inards to make room for its travel log. The inards will stay behind at its original location, so anyone who wants to see what the inside of a GPS looks like... :) The lucky first finder will get to be the first one to move it and log it's first leg! The plan is to see if it can make it around the world!!

Stay tuned!!

StevO :D