Is this GPS good for beginner?

Billwaa

So a year and a half ago, in a science lecture at Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory, the professor from wherever introduce how the GPS System works. And the end, he mention that he had his students all buy a gps to go geocache as a school project. Beside 'treasure hunting' he mentioned that the handheld GPS is able to track where you been, the route the took, then map it in the computer. So then I was interested. But since then, I haven't got the time to get myself a GPS until now, when I almost finish my Junior year in high school.

I was looking at Garmin Venture HC and Legend HCx. Probably going to get Venture HC, since I got a normal car GPS already, and it's cheaper.

Just wondering if the Venture HC is a good GPS for geocache, or is there a better one in similar price range (~$130). Also, is it really able to keep a record of the data of where I have been to and map it on the computer?

Does it work in other countries? Since I alway travel all around the world to different places.

Last thought... is it possible for me to use the GPS as a signal reciever, connect to a laptop. Which a software use the signal to do road navigation in the laptop?

I am new to GPS, so half of the stuffs on the official site, I don't quite understand. Plus, English is my 2nd language, so I am very bad at it...

thanks...

Yes, the Venture HC is an excellent choice. If you purchase a U.S. model, it will only have a North Americal base map, but you probably won't care if you already have a dash unit. But, if you ever change your mind, MetroGuide Europe will be the software you'll want.

Any of the Garmin handheld units will work anywhere in the world with a view to the sky. If it don't lock onto satellites (which can happen if the GPS last locked onto satellites far away), there is procedure to identify your current location so the GPS locks onto the satellites. This is a one-time procedure until you move a significant distance between powering up the GPS.

As for using the GPS as a receiver for a laptop, I think you can but I'm not exactly sure; someone else can provide more details on that.

Welcome to the fun!!! You can use Garmins N-Route software on your laptop with most Garmin GPSr's to do real time routing, plus a veritable plethora of other functions. Its a free program available on the Garmin site. Its a very handy program that expands your handhelds capabilities exponentially. I have had it on my laptop for over a year now, but have only had occasion to use it a few times, each time it has been a great addition to my 60 CSx's usefulness. (Plus, you absolutely cannot beat the price. :blink: )

Edited by team5150

Welcome to the fun!!! You can use Garmins N-Route software on your laptop with most Garmin GPSr's to do real time routing, plus a veritable plethora of other functions. Its a free program available on the Garmin site. Its a very handy program that expands your handhelds capabilities exponentially. I have had it on my laptop for over a year now, but have only had occasion to use it a few times, each time it has been a great addition to my 60 CSx's usefulness. (Plus, you absolutely cannot beat the price. :wub: )

I paid 226.99 for my new 76CSx

Did that beat the price you paid? :wub:

hey guy, my GPS just arrived today. So much fun playing with it.

Maybe I don't know how to set it or something, in open sky, the accuracy is on average within 10 feet. Is this normal? I mean 10 feet x 10 feet is a rather large area.

And the base map is sort of useless, lol. It don't display anything in my area beside the name or surrounding city. I live in the surburb, maybe that's why... but I would at least expect it showing parks or something, lol.

So I was thinking maybe I should get the TOPO US. But that's really expensive compare to the price of the gps. Are there any good free maps out there? One that have names label and also show parks?

You should have some very basic info on the base maps--How far did you zoom in? The further in you zoom, the more detail it shows.

Accuracy within 10 feet is about average. Think "circle of where it could be" --it's saying the cache is somewhere within 10 feet of where the arrow is showing that cache to be. If you hid a cache at a spot with a 10 foot accuracy and someone else tried to find it with a 10 foot accuarcy, the combined error would be 20 feet. Over the space of the entire world to get to within 20 feet of something is pretty good.

When it reads 30 feet or so start looking around for likely looking hiding spots. It wouldn't be half as much fun it the gps put you right on top the cache, now would it?

Edited by Neos2

coggins -- thanks

Neos2 -- good point, lol. Yeah, I zoom in all the way, but no detail shown. Probably because I don't live near any highway... but there is a park next to my house, show I assume it will show up. I will try again tomorrow...

Maybe I don't know how to set it or something, in open sky, the accuracy is on average within 10 feet. Is this normal? I mean 10 feet x 10 feet is a rather large area.

10 feet is quite normal. Under certain conditions you will see 20-30 feet

So I was thinking maybe I should get the TOPO US. But that's really expensive compare to the price of the gps. Are there any good free maps out there? One that have names label and also show parks?

It will certainly make your mapping feature far more useful if you bought Topo. You can find it for around $70 if you shop around. Actually you can also look for a used copy since Topo doesn't have unlock codes that tie it to one unit.

THere is a way to put other maps onto your unit, but it's complicated and time consuming.

A question just pop into my mind. The US TOPO is a DVD. And the free maps that the other guy pointed to is around 1 GB.

I only have 24 mb, how am I suppose to fit anything on that? How does this work? Really confuses me.

You just load the maps you need to use, you don't need to load the whole USA at one time.

alright, I loaded in Bucks Conty, it work great. It even have trail from state parks. Too bad about 2 mb a county. I guess I have to bring my laptop with me on my trip.

By the way, how do you delete stuffs from your GPS? What if I loaded a map that I don't want, how do I delete it?

oh, does that mean that if I alway want Bucks County in my GPS, I will alway have to redownload Bucks County onto it, with the new one I want? Then it will delete whatever map was on the GPS and add in the Buck County and the new one so my memory don't run out?