Which GPS - Mapping or not ?

I use a PDA loaded with Memory Map and a Bluetooth GPS for Caching. I think it helps to know where the footpaths, bridges, roads etc are when looking for a cache and can't understand how people do it with a simple non-mapping Etrex type GPS.

I'm worried about my PDA giving out (it's nearly 5 years old) and am looking at a replacement. An Etrex is a lot cheaper but how easy is it to use - would I miss my mapping?

Any thoughts?

The Jones'

Personally I think it adds to he fun to not have the maps so readily to hand :wub:

I've had various PDA's over the years but have always used an etrex for caching. I've destroyed a couple of PDA's in the wet on Scottish hills :rolleyes:

The only thing above a basic etrex I find really useful is an etrex with a digital compass, very helpful when you need to stop and get a bearing. It's not possible to get a bearing when stationary with GPS calculated bearings only.

I can't imagine caching without an OS map of some type to see where I'm heading - I hate wandering without a map!

I bought a PDA and added MM a year ago, but after using it for a couple of months, I went back to my GPS60 and printed maps (although I still keep it for cachemate etc...). Main reason was fustration with the small screen, difficulties seeing the screen in the sun and the lower battery life, so in the end I decided paperless wasn't for me.

I guess it's a very personal preference - you'll find advocates of both here!

I'm of the 'keep it simple' group - I use a Foretrex, it's a bit less noticeable for urban caching and conveniently strapped to my wrist in the countryside.

I've never DNF'd a cache because of not having the mapping facility, but I'm sure that (on many occasions!) I've walked further than necessary :rolleyes:

I have a 60Csx, and think it was money well spent, even though the price has dropped by about £50 since I got it....

The mapping function is great if you are following a series, or just want to see where the caches are in relation to where you are, just remember to do a PQ and load the bloody thing before venturing out.. I have been guilty of driving 63 miles, then finding out that the cache info is still on my pooter!

Note to self.... Use GSAK to upload the PQ!!!!

But on a serious note, I like to take my mountain bike out, and having the Topo maps is a great bonus...

P.

I use a CSx with Topo for caching, but I also carry a PDA/phone with Memory Map for any tricky navigation and checking PRoW, though this is more for hiking than Geocaching.

I also usually plan my route on the PC (Memory Map) before I set out and send the route to both devices.

Once-upon-a-time I had an eTrex and used to use it with OziExplorer and printouts, but it was pretty hopeless in comparison.