Proper procedure when a cache is found

sansoomaster

Being a total newb (two caches so far), i was wondering if there is a prescribed process for examining a cache's items. Should the finder move away from the spot where it was found, in case others might observe them examining the cache? example : A friend and I found a nice-sized cache with a dozen or so items in it. We had to remove nearly all of the items in order to get to the log, and (again, being newbies) we just sat down right there on the curb and took/left/signed. After we put the cache back, we realized that we might easily have been observed (busy streets nearby). Ideas? customary procedure? Thanks in advance.

That's very thoughtful of you to realize after just two caches ~ must be a natural cacher!. I usually move away from the spot if I'm in a busy, highly visible area...but I stay where I can keep an eye on the hiding spot in case another cacher comes along while I have the cache. If it's a more remote area, I just look where we find the cache.

I usually whoop and holler and tear through the swag like a kid at Christmas!

Just kidding, like Neos, I pretty much try to be discreet in more public places. If you can find a park bench, a mail box, or any place people usually hang around anyway you will look like any other muggle.

That's very thoughtful of you to realize after just two caches ~ must be a natural cacher!. I usually move away from the spot if I'm in a busy, highly visible area...but I stay where I can keep an eye on the hiding spot in case another cacher comes along while I have the cache. If it's a more remote area, I just look where we find the cache.

Thanks for the quick response, Neos2. We're really hooked on this new kind of addiction, and we want to make sure we commit as few newbie atrocities as possible. gonna buy a GPS this weekend, hopefully. That'll help a lot. we appreciate your help. .

I usually whoop and holler and tear through the swag like a kid at Christmas!

Just kidding, like Neos, I pretty much try to be discreet in more public places. If you can find a park bench, a mail box, or any place people usually hang around anyway you will look like any other muggle.

well, we did a little of the whooping and hollering, and what we have dubbed the Cache Dance. Good to know we're on the right track!

One thing we do, if we're parked near the cache, is to open the back of the SUV and go through the cache there. It just looks like you're getting something out of the back of the car and doesn't look suspicious.

Also, for micros where there are muggles around, my 11-year-old son has perfected the 'yawn and stretch' maneuver, hiding it back in it's spot without looking suspicious!

I like to go after hides that are on hiking trails, in conservation areas, etc. so the muggle count is much lower. I usually make sure I am hidden from view by those walking by on the trail (behind a rock or tree) and have my team be a lookout. Coming up with creative warning words or songs is always good for a laugh. One thing when out in the woods is that you don't want to go too far away because you can forget WHICH rotted stump it actually came out of!! lol!

One thing we do, if we're parked near the cache, is to open the back of the SUV and go through the cache there. It just looks like you're getting something out of the back of the car and doesn't look suspicious.

we do the same! we have a station wagon with a blanket in the back for our dog, so we usually open up the back and dump it out there. living in the city and not yet having time to venture out very far, we drive to a good number of them, or at least get close. we also like to go nights after work and dont always feel like walking forever!

I usually just try to be as low profile as possible. For ammo cans in the woods or even in more urban areas, I either move farther away from prying eyes or sit around ground zero and examine my trade choices. One tactic I liked to use early on was I just brought my back back and would slide the ammo can or cache in it and just pretend to be riffling through my back pack for something.

Urban micros, however, are an entirely different exercise in being stealthy and inconspicious.

Wow- thanks for all the great info. I find that i really like the idea of trying to be subtle while containing my excitement. seems that Stealth is a huge part of this treasure hunt. The ideas you all have shared really make me feel like this is going to be a fun but Lifelong consuming addiction! Thanks! :)