Colorado has me walking on water!

What an ego trip! While hiking a lake perimiter trail over the weekend, I decided to turn on the track log, which I seldom use. The trail only rarely nears the shoreline of the lake, but the track log had me walking on the water a good deal of the time. Spring is usually the high water season in this area, and there was no indication water levels significantly exceed what they were at the time of my hike. And to think, I didn't even get my boots wet! In defense of the Colorado, there was quite a bit of cover from the trees. I sure would have hated to require it to navigate me out of a deep wilderness, though, even following my track log back out. If one can walk on water, however, what need is there for directions!

On another trip about a month ago, my PN-20 had led me accurately to within view of my intended destination on a pennisula of a different lake, while the Colorado had continuously insisted I travel 70 miles to the opposite shore. I never could convince it (the 400t) I had arrived. I suspect mapping error on this particular instance. the current location coordinates are usually close on the two instruments, although I failed to compare them at the time.

For what it's worth, I'm very fond of the 400t. I'm not bashing it. It's probably my favorite gpsr--so convenient with maps preloaded, auto routing that works fine (most of the time) with the CN maps installed, screen refresh rates that rival high-end auto gpsrs, paperless caching, fast processor, the large screen, and, sometimes, it will let you walk on water...

Some people like it with the actual firmware.

Some people hope that garmin will improve the firmware.

Maybe there will be a better firmware in a half year or year.

It's not the firmware, it's the map. Superimpose that tracklog on a recent sat photo (like at gpsvisualizer) and it'll probably show up in the right place. I regularly ride my bike in the water according to City Navigator and Metro Guide, 'cuz they're relying on decades-old lake boundaries.

Pretty sure its the map not the GPS. Both my Magellans and the Colorado have me walking on water here, the Great Lakes. Many shorelinies just aren't mapped that well and that's the map producers issue not Garmin's. Garmin buys the map info from places like Navteq, DMTI etc.

JD

It's definately the map. I installed the topo and the streets maps and it is point on, switch to the base map and it is way off. My only issue right now is that if I am walking towards a Geocache, it shows that I am walking in the opposite direction of it if you go by the compass arrow or the pointer and line on the map. Though all the ETA and Dist. till end get closer and closer. Very strange.

Funny I had the same thing happen in Saskatchewan with my Nuvi 660. I showed me walking way out in the middle of Blackstrap Lake for quite a distance. I figured maybe it was some kind of GPS "Black Hole" or whatever, as it eventually showed me coming to shore. Interestingly it showed me a cache when I was probably 50 feet from it. Then I restarted the unit and it was accurate. Never did figure out why.

I had the same problem with my Magellan Crossover ( showed my location as being in the middle of the harbour). I got frustrated when their customer service couldn't help me, so I bought the Colorado. I find that it's much more accurate. It can show the difference of my location from in front of my building and my patio. However, I had one incident where the driving map showed my location as driving about 15 meters next to the highway, only when I zoomed out did I see my location and eventually after driving another 5 minutes on the highway it showed my location as being back on the highway. :) Bizzare.