Customer Service

I simply need to hear from individuals which company (Garmin, Magellan, or TomTom) has the best customer service. I am really more concerned with the automotive GPS than the handhelds.

Like I stated in the topic description, I have been researching for 3 days. And, of course, for every bad experience with a particular company, there is a good experience as well. So I am just trying to get some more insight.

Anything would be appreciated!!

I simply need to hear from individuals which company (Garmin, Magellan, or TomTom) has the best customer service. I am really more concerned with the automotive GPS than the handhelds.

Like I stated in the topic description, I have been researching for 3 days. And, of course, for every bad experience with a particular company, there is a good experience as well. So I am just trying to get some more insight.

Eliminate Magellan unless you live in India.

I have had excellent service from Garmin. I have heard their City Navigator auto-routing maps are better than those for Magellan. I don't know about TomTom.

If you Search these Forums for "Magellan Customer Service," you will find many, many threads about their dreadful Customer Service.

Eliminate Magellan unless you live in India.

Magellan is VERY bad when it comes to support.

I purchased a magellan unit that was defective. after 8 weeks they replaced it with another defective unit. After 6 tech calls to India I was promised a mailer to return the defective unit. I've been waiting 8 weeks for the mailer. I have already disposed of my magellan unit and marked it down as a several hundred dollar mistake and then purchased a Lowrance.

I have much experience with Magellan and from 1 to 10 they are -100. Their customer support seems to be on a different planet. Its really too bad because their hardware is actually is really good.

I've switched over to Garmin with the purchase of my Nuvi660. I've called Garmin's customer support the first time and someone in english picked up the phone and took care of a problem registering my nuvi on my account that I was trying to setup online and the total call time lasted under 10 min. I called a second time inquiring about the new 2009 map updates and I was given the update for free even though I had bought my nuvi second hand. Garmin IMO are #1, #2, #3 all together. It's pretty rare that a customer is not well treated at Garmin.

Edited by D0T-C0M

I have nothing but good things to say about Garmin customer service. I've dealt with them a number of times over six years and have never had a bad experience; every time I've called I've immediately reached someone who actually speaks english. I've had to send in a handful of units for repair over the years (our department has about a dozen GS units that we use for research and teaching), and the turnaround time has never been more than a week.

Once we even had a problematic unit that we called about on Monday morning, shipped overnight that afternoon, and received back in working order on Wednesday. It's hard to top that.

Another positive vote for Garmin customer service. My wife had a problem with her eTrex Vista (the rubber strip around the unit came unglued). After convincing the Garmin representative that she simply couldn't be without her GPSr (she really does use it daily) they sent her a replacement unit (new, not refurbished) and had her send the original unit back AFTER she received the replacement. Outstanding customer support!