Apples and Ammo Cans

boysnbarrie

I've been encouraged to start this thread to help other Mac using cachers. For 2 years I loaded my waypoints the hard way, manually. Recently I learned about something called "MacCaching" and it has made loading my GPS with waypoints much easier and quicker than I ever imagined. Geocaching just got even better for me!

If you have any tips that might help other Apple users, I'd love to learn more and I'm sure others would too!

Edited by boysnbarrie

Google is your friend. Type in "geocaching with a mac" and see the seemingly endless possibilities.

There was a very productive event called, Cachin in Fashion (Paperless Fashion That Is), that provided this useful link for Mac paperless caching.

Wow, our old paperless event. Ah yes, the memories ...

e4f9c8d5-d238-449d-bde5-d073b7c6d8d4.jpg

... or in reality ...

bc6ac20b-0cdf-4c9b-96f1-38d7b15dc09c.jpg

3a2cea9b-1b66-437a-9a66-00df203927e7.jpg

52a06d6f-add2-40a1-a580-b114b516da36.jpg

... those were the days my friend, actually the night that paperless caching took San Diego

County by storm.

Edited by SD Rowdies

I'm thinking I might need to get a PDA, but I read on the website it's possible to use an iPod. A PDA is prolly gonna be cheaper ... but it might be aesthetically pleasing being able to listen to Bochelli singing on some of these cache hunts in the woods. Decisions, decision :huh: .

I like the idea of going paperless, tho. I can't tell ya how many times I've found myself in an area I'd been to before ... and forgot my doggone paper! There's been alot of times I leave the house and that boy hasn't even delivered it yet.

Edited by boysnbarrie

I'm thinking I might need to get a PDA, but I read on the website it's possible to use an iPod. A PDA is prolly gonna be cheaper ... but it might be aesthetically pleasing being able to listen to Bochelli singing on some of these cache hunts in the woods. Decisions, decision :huh: .

I like the idea of going paperless, tho. I can't tell ya how many times I've found myself in an area I'd been to before ... and forgot my doggone paper! There's been alot of times I leave the house and that boy hasn't even delivered it yet.

Choices! ... name your poison. Paperless Geocaching is too good to ignore.

The main selection factor is being able to read the display outdoors. Having

to hunt a deeply-shadowed spot in order to read a cache description is the

notable limitation. Make sure to view the display in bright sunlight before

purchasing but know that only the oldest display technology is actually the

most readable.

The Boccelli/Brightman duet will get you up any mountain in the county.

Here's a shopping tip, just wait until FlagMan crunches another PDA and then

ask him for it. You can send it in for repair and get a replacement for some-

thing like a hundred bucks. You won't have to wait long for him to crunch

another one.

The second thing is just make sure that whatever you purchase is compatible

with CacheMate software.

Smittyware CacheMate Software Link

Harmon

Edited by SD Rowdies

Or just buy a Garmin Colorado and have the entire cache page in the GPSr... It's not a perfect solution, and there have been bugs, but most of them have been worked out. And you can load PQ's straight from the Mac without any fancy software. I still use GSAK running on Windows XP under VMware Fusion on the Mac, but you can mount the Colorado directly as a drive on the Mac and just drop GPX files onto it... Biggest limitation I have found so far is that it doesn't average WPs, so hiding caches isn't that great. And it doesn't handle manually adding WPs very well, either, so multi's and puzzles are harder to do than with the 60CSx...

BTW, Mrs. FlagMan won't let me break stuff any more, so don't hold your breath on my hand-me-downs...

Edited by FlagMan

Or just buy a Garmin Colorado and have the entire cache page in the GPSr... It's not a perfect solution, and there have been bugs, but most of them have been worked out. And you can load PQ's straight from the Mac without any fancy software. I still use GSAK running on Windows XP under VMware Fusion on the Mac, but you can mount the Colorado directly as a drive on the Mac and just drop GPX files onto it... Biggest limitation I have found so far is that it doesn't average WPs, so hiding caches isn't that great. And it doesn't handle manually adding WPs very well, either, so multi's and puzzles are harder to do than with the 60CSx...

BTW, Mrs. FlagMan won't let me break stuff any more, so don't hold your breath on my hand-me-downs...

Aw man ... does this mean I won't get a PDA from Flagman afterall?!! Oh well. It prolly wouldn't have played Bocelli and Brightman anyway, right Harmon? :laughing: ... and that's important to me.

Aw man ... does this mean I won't get a PDA from Flagman afterall?!! Oh well. It prolly wouldn't have played Bocelli and Brightman anyway, right Harmon? :laughing: ... and that's important to me.

Don't buy that "Momma won't allow" line from FlagMan ...

notice that Mrs. FlagMan let him purchase a Garmin Colo-

rado.

If y' need further proof then I'll start reposting his admissions

of busting Geocaching equipment. ... that and body parts too.

That boy ain't as careful as I am.

Did I mention FlagMan helicopter rescues?

Sarah Brightman ... voice of an angel. Got to see her live

once.

Edited by SD Rowdies

Don't buy that "Momma won't allow" line from FlagMan ...

notice that Mrs. FlagMan let him purchase a Garmin Colo-

rado.

If y' need further proof then I'll start reposting his admissions

of busting Geocaching equipment. ... that and body parts too.

That boy ain't as careful as I am.

Did I mention FlagMan helicopter rescues?

Sarah Brightman ... voice of an angel. Got to see her live

once.

:laughing: Helicopter rescue cache?! Oh lordy, how exciting THAT must have been. I haven't heard of helicopter caches before, but I'm still kinda new. I hope to reach my 500th find at GW6, but we'll see. Wow, I'm thinking if I was gonna do a helipcopter cache hide like FlagMan did ... well, I'd certainly want the iPod over the PDA. Them helicopters are kinda noisy and I'd suspect would ruin the beauty of the moment. Is the view lovely from the helicopter cache, Flagman? Shoot, I bet that'd make one of those milestones on yer stat chart, huh? Hmmm, I'm gonna need a real good one for my upcoming 500th. Where is the helicopter cache located?

Just wonderin'

Barrie

Edited by boysnbarrie
Here's a shopping tip, just wait until FlagMan crunches another PDA and then ask him for it. You can send it in for repair and get a replacement for something like a hundred bucks. You won't have to wait long for him to crunch

another one.

From what I hear, all you have to do is follow FlagMan around from cache to cache. Sooner or later, he'll leave that nice Colorado of his lying next to the cache and you can swoop in and nab it...

(And if you want to have some fun in the process, leave your old GPSr lying where he left the Colorado and stick around to watch when he comes back to get it...)

:unsure:

Google is your friend. Type in "geocaching with a mac" and see the seemingly endless possibilities.

There was a very productive event called, Cachin in Fashion (Paperless Fashion That Is), that provided this useful link for Mac paperless caching.

I'm on the verge of leaping toward paperless. With all these new fangled internet cell phone n' all, I was considering an iPhone but now I'm beginning to think a Blackberry might be the better way to go. I guess alot of people are using pda's, tho.

So ... I'm wondering what works for you, and why? Oh, and I realize the pda won't play Boccelli/Brightman duets, but other than that ... any down sides?

Edited by boysnbarrie

You can get an inexpensive PDA like the Palm m500 or m515 on eBay for around $30.00. I've had my Palm m500 for more than six years and it works great with Cachemate installed.

One concern when looking for a PDA is whether you can read it in bright sunlight. Both the m500 and m515 are good outside. The Z22 and Palm TX are hard to read outside . . . :)

I think someone was working on caching software for the iPhone and also think there is software for the Blackberry. If you Search the GPS and Software Forum, you'll probably find info about those PDA Phones.

You can get an inexpensive PDA like the Palm m500 or m515 on eBay for around $30.00. I've had my Palm m500 for more than six years and it works great with Cachemate installed.

One concern when looking for a PDA is whether you can read it in bright sunlight. Both the m500 and m515 are good outside. The Z22 and Palm TX are hard to read outside . . . :)

I think someone was working on caching software for the iPhone and also think there is software for the Blackberry. If you Search the GPS and Software Forum, you'll probably find info about those PDA Phones.

Karen has it exactly right, the three most important Geocaching features of a PDA or equivalent device are -

A. Can you read the display in bright sunlight?

B. Can you read the display in bright sunlight?

C. Can you read the display in bright sunlight?

Edited by SD Rowdies

Karen has it exactly right, the three most important Geocaching features of a PDA or equivalent device are -

Well, I'll tell ya one thing ... I can't read a thing without my glasses!

Okay, so whatever I decide on getting, apparently I need to take it outside before I hand over the big bucks; preferably on a bright sunny day. I think the screen on the Blackberry is kinda small. Is anyone out there using a Blackberry for paperless caching?

Okay, so whatever I decide on getting, apparently I need to take it outside before I hand over the big bucks; preferably on a bright sunny day. I think the screen on the Blackberry is kinda small. Is anyone out there using a Blackberry for paperless caching?

Karen mentioned Palm M500, that series had LCD displays and so gave good performance in direct sunlight. Newer models such as Palm Tungsten E2 have TFT displays, not so good in sunlight. Definitely demand to see the unit in bright sunlight before buying it.

Here is a thread about a program for the Blackberry. :)

Miragee - you always make me smile! I've been researching a lil' bit on the screen (LCD or TFT) issue. You've been a tremendous help in my research today. At this point, I must admit, printing out paper seems easier ... but I figure that just can't be the case. I'll hang in there, thanks to your encouragement. Thanks a bunch.

Miragee - you always make me smile! I've been researching a lil' bit on the screen (LCD or TFT) issue. You've been a tremendous help in my research today. At this point, I must admit, printing out paper seems easier ... but I figure that just can't be the case. I'll hang in there, thanks to your encouragement. Thanks a bunch.

:) BnB...both John and I have M500's. When you lose them they are easy to replace. Even WE can figure out how to use them...that says alot.!!!

:) BnB...both John and I have M500's. When you lose them they are easy to replace. Even WE can figure out how to use them...that says alot.!!!

Yep, Miragee got me going with my M500 and it works great. Get a hard case for it and it will save you.

Well, today I was blessed with a Palm m130 by a very generous local geocacher; yep he was mighty generous ... so it looks like I might be on my way to paperless in no time. That young whippersnapper even sat with me for a few minutes, and I tried to store all that he told me in my memory banks ... but well, my memory ain't was it used to be, I suppose. All I gotta do now is figure out how to download the Mac software into this gently used high tech lil' puppy. Hmmm, I've tried twice ... must be doin' something wrong. LOL, I sure wish they'd write these manuals in a more "user friendly" kinda way.

One thing is fer sure tho ... I'm learning a few things. Mhmm, not quite sure just what it is I'm learning, but so far I can turn this m130 on n' off, pull the lil' stick thing out, and I think I got the graffiti strokes down real well. I never thot I'd be doin' graffiti either ... golly, times sure have changed.

Whoops! It's about time for me to go pick up those lil' darlin's in my yellow limo, so I'd better skeedaddle!!

Edited by boysnbarrie

Well, today I was blessed with a Palm m130 by a very generous local geocacher; yep he was mighty generous ... so it looks like I might be on my way to paperless in no time. That young whippersnapper even sat with me for a few minutes, and I tried to store all that he told me in my memory banks ... but well, my memory ain't was it used to be, I suppose. All I gotta do now is figure out how to download the Mac software into this gently used high tech lil' puppy. Hmmm, I've tried twice ... must be doin' something wrong. LOL, I sure wish they'd write these manuals in a more "user friendly" kinda way.

One thing is fer sure tho ... I'm learning a few things. Mhmm, not quite sure just what it is I'm learning, but so far I can turn this m130 on n' off, pull the lil' stick thing out, and I think I got the graffiti strokes down real well. I never thot I'd be doin' graffiti either ... golly, times sure have changed.

Whoops! It's about time for me to go pick up those lil' darlin's in my yellow limo, so I'd better skeedaddle!!

Here's the link you need -

CacheMate Software

Here's the link you need -

CacheMate Software

Thank you, Harmon ... I managed to figure out how to Sync my Palm to my iMac, and then I figured out how to Sync caches into CacheMate. It was already installed on the handheld when I got it. Unfortunately, it only allowed me to Sync 10 caches ... so I'm purchasing CacheMate hoping I'll be able to download more than 10 caches. Prolly should have done that first, I figure. Thanks for the link.

UPDATE: I think I got it! Wow, I'm going paperless!! Woo hoo!! The biggest thing I learned, I think, is figuring out how to get all these gadgets to communicate with each other.

Edited by boysnbarrie