Bad Hide

Bomb scare closes 101

Thadeus Greenson/The Times-Standard

Article Launched: 05/09/2008 01:21:13 AM PDT

A modern-day form of treasure hunting, known as geocaching, caused a bomb scare Wednesday that closed a portion of Highway 101 in Mendocino County for about 30 minutes and brought a bomb unit down from Eureka.

California Highway Patrol Officer Erik Van Emmerik said a Caltrans worker inspecting the Arnold Overhang bridge north of Willits at mile post 57 was startled to find an ammunition box with a computer motherboard glued to the outside.

”It looked terrible because it was tucked underneath a bridge support,” Van Emmerik said.

After responding, Van Emmerik said CHP immediately called the Humboldt County Sheriff's Office to request the bomb unit be sent down.

An engine from the Little Lake Fire Department and a Ukiah ambulance were called to stand by.

Shortly after arriving, the bomb unit dispatched a robot to remove the box, Van Emmerik said, and it was quickly discovered it was no bomb at all.

”It's too bad because it was such a silly thing and so many people had to be called down for what ended up being such a trivial little thing,” Van Emmerik said.

According to www.geocaching.com, geocaching is a game for Global Positioning System users in which they use the hand-held devices to hunt for caches that have been stashed all over the country. The cache's often have a notebook tucked inside, where hunters can sign in. Some even contain a reward for the hunters, according to the site.

A general rule however, Van Emmerik said, is that the caches are not to be left near airports, bridges or schools, to avoid scares similar to the one experienced Wednesday.

I'm impressed at the response from Officer Van Emmerik; namely, that he knew our site has listing guidelines preventing caches from being hidden in a spot like this. Obviously some will slip through the cracks, as not all hiders read or follow the listing guidelines, and not every violation is caught during the review process.

Studying the area, I wonder if it might be this cache? Not making any accusations, but the details of the cache description match the news article... location, cache size, etc. If not, it ought to be nearby if someone else wishes to browse out of curiosity.

I saw that one, but the cache description states'You will walk along the old RR bridge and at the end is where you will make the find.' From the news article, I had assumed that the cache was hidden next to a highway bridge support. If it was, in fact, hidden under the support of an extinct railroad bridge, I'd say that no guideline was broken. I still don't understand the motherboard, but whatchagonnado?

Bomb scare closes 101

Article Launched: 05/09/2008 01:21:13 AM PDT ...

I think that you should delete the logs that you posted to the wrong cache.

Lately, it seems that people have been leaving more and more 'editorials' in notes on cache pages. I think that those should be left to the forums and off cache pages.

Bomb scare closes 101

Article Launched: 05/09/2008 01:21:13 AM PDT ...

I think that you should delete the logs that you posted to the wrong cache.

Lately, it seems that people have been leaving more and more 'editorials' in notes on cache pages. I think that those should be left to the forums and off cache pages.

I agree. The logs should be deleted. And I've noticed it, too, that people seem to be using cache pages as a forum at times. Kind of annoying when you are trying to go through to see past logs etc.

I'm impressed at the response from Officer Van Emmerik; namely, that he knew our site has listing guidelines preventing caches from being hidden in a spot like this. Obviously some will slip through the cracks, as not all hiders read or follow the listing guidelines, and not every violation is caught during the review process.

I agree with Lep that not all hiders read or follow listing guidelines, and that not every violation is caught during the review process, but what amazes me in this case is that NONE of the cachers who found this cache had ever reported it to a GC reviewer as likely both against the rules and also a public relations nightmare waiting to happen!

I agree with Lep that not all hiders read or follow listing guidelines, and that not every violation is caught during the review process, but what amazes me in this case is that NONE of the cachers who found this cache had ever reported it to a GC reviewer as likely both against the rules and also a public relations nightmare waiting to happen!

People don't like to rock the boat. They fear offending someone since everyone has such thin skin these days.

People don't like to rock the boat. They fear offending someone since everyone has such thin skin these days.

Obvious violations like this can be reported directly to the reviewer if a finder doesn't want to post an SBA.

It would seem that with the number of incidents of this type just recently that those with caches anywhere near any type of bridge, school, place of commerce, etc. would be giving thought to reviewing and/or revising their hides. It does seem that quite a few of them have been in CA. :D Woolsox

First off I would like to thank Joe and Ed for making this incident public...It has been a bad deal all the way around and I have been left with a lump in my gut for the last 3 days. I had hoped the air would clear and I could continue on, but guess we just cant leave well enough alone sometimes, but I dont blame you... It is a situation I hope aothers can learn from.

If you had found that cache, you probably wouldnt have thought much about the placement...it was no where near a support and rather placed by an off shoot at the end of the bridge going down a side road...Now granted I made a mistake and I take full responsibility for my actions and am dealing with all aspects.

I have talked with all local authorities and may actually be getting the destroyed cache back...They fully understand that these things happen and if you ask me- These things have happened enough that ALL Bomb squads should take geocaches into consideration when looking into suspicious devices...afterall it woulda only taken a mear 1.5 minutes to give the location coordinates to base and have them check the site.

I would like to open a topic in the near future to discuss such actions to be taken by Bomb threats of this mannor to avoid situations of the sort. A Memo sent to all Bomb squads to make situations like this protocol would save alot of time, energy, money and heartache by not only the cache owner but everyone effected by a situation of the sort.

Now I have just got home for lunch and saw emails of this topic as well as Joe and Eds note on one of my other caches, I only have a half hour, so I will reflect further in the later today.

Again, I am sorry this all came about and beings this comes up once a month on these forums- I hope one can learn from this, this time at my expense aswell as everyone who was stuck on 101 and the authorities that withstood the 5 hour standoff with my cache.

Oh... By the way, So far all the finders have said differently rather than it being a "Bad hide"...Check the pics- I was very proud of this cache and very sorry to see it go in the mannor it did, I posted pics of it on the cache page http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...00-fdc79dc38461 ...Kay, im late back to work, so better run!

edit to fix link

Edited by 007BigD

First off I would like to thank Joe and Ed for making this incident public...It has been a bad deal all the way around and I have been left with a lump in my gut for the last 3 days. I had hoped the air would clear and I could continue on, but guess we just cant leave well enough alone sometimes, but I dont blame you... It is a situation I hope aothers can learn from.

If you had found that cache, you probably wouldnt have thought much about the placement...it was no where near a support and rather placed by an off shoot at the end of the bridge going down a side road...Now granted I made a mistake and I take full responsibility for my actions and am dealing with all aspects.

I have talked with all local authorities and may actually be getting the destroyed cache back...They fully understand that these things happen and if you ask me- These things have happened enough that ALL Bomb squads should take geocaches into consideration when looking into suspicious devices...afterall it woulda only taken a mear 1.5 minutes to give the location coordinates to base and have them check the site.

I would like to open a topic in the near future to discuss such actions to be taken by Bomb threats of this mannor to avoid situations of the sort. A Memo sent to all Bomb squads to make situations like this protocol would save alot of time, energy, money and heartache by not only the cache owner but everyone effected by a situation of the sort.

Now I have just got home for lunch and saw emails of this topic as well as Joe and Eds note on one of my other caches, I only have a half hour, so I will reflect further in the later today.

Again, I am sorry this all came about and beings this comes up once a month on these forums- I hope one can learn from this, this time at my expense aswell as everyone who was stuck on 101 and the authorities that withstood the 5 hour standoff with my cache.

Oh... By the way, So far all the finders have said differently rather than it being a "Bad hide"...Check the pics- I was very proud of this cache and very sorry to see it go in the mannor it did, I posted pics of it on the cache page http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...00-fdc79dc38461 ...Kay, im late back to work, so better run!

Don't worry. You weren't the first and won't be the last. Sometimes even caches placed with permission and labeled as geocaches have been blown up, in one case with a geocacher standing right there insisting it was safe.

I guess the authorities would rather be safe than sorry and you can't blame them.

That is pretty cool you made a post. I really do feel for you and I can't imagine the ordeal you've been through. I sure wouldn't want to go through that. I wouldn't have the guts to make a post. I applaud you for that.

A couple things though....

Did you see the pictures of that thing? Are you really proud of that? I don't care if you stick that thing out it the middle of the woods five miles from the nearest road. People not familiar with geocaching have to be thinking BOMB! Now imagine within 1000' feet of a bridge, school, road, building, house, person, animal, etc. Come on that thing SCREAMS BOMB.

Having Bomb Squads check www.geocaching.com is complete waste of time. Do you really think they would do anything different once it's reached the "Bomb Squad" level? I can just hear the conversation at the funeral now.

ATF Agent "Yeah, we checked it out on this funky site called www.geocaching.com, they said it was good, you know, whatever you read on the internet is true....How are we supposed to know the bridge was gonna blow...sorry about your husband." The real world just doesn't work this way. They are committed to taking the necessary precautions. They can't afford a mistake just because someone tells them "it's okay...".

But, the most important thing here is that you manned up and YOUR RIGHT, hopefully everyone learns from making your lesson public. Thanks.

Edited by Morning Dew

Don't worry. You weren't the first and won't be the last. Sometimes even caches placed with permission and labeled as geocaches have been blown up, in one case with a geocacher standing right there insisting it was safe.

I guess the authorities would rather be safe than sorry and you can't blame them.

Thanks...I should just let this roll through into forum cyberspace, but man YOU HAVE NO IDEA how this has effected me!

Today was the absolute peak (I hope) outside of my having HUGE jobs to finish today including putting together the top end of the engine of a bus (yep...the short one) replacing a blown tranny line on another bus (a big one :blink: ) and replacing steering parts on a van for next week. - I just got off and was supposed to be gone at 3:30!

So through all this all I could think about is all the drama that has arrised!...No kiddin- This topic started was minimal, but still left me shakin! When I got back to work, I just kept thinkin about everything pacing back and forth sayin "Ya gotta get to work!" Then here I am waiting for my part to come while finishing up the engine and the bus driver shows with not only the part, but todays paper!

I was front page again, this time they included one of MY pictures from MY cache page and proceeded to let everyone know that I worked for the Laytonville School district, the parts were made from School computers and that I included a battery to the fixture (which was smaller than a watch battery and part of the board) also that wires were attached (not true)...I had it-When Sparkey my co-worker said "you included a battery?" and informed me my workplace was listed aswell, I blew up! I had to leave- went for a short drive and shortly returned.

I pride myself in all my caches and for this happen was just a huge hit to my Geo Ego! I strive to make all my caches as special as I can. It was just everything...The newspaper, my buddies, cachers that found it, the fact my killer cache got blown to bits, dealing with the authorities, this topic and then the paper again! I really tried to make of this the best I could and till today it was going well.

Well I feel much better now that there wasnt a whole slew of remarks as to what idiot would place such a thing and such, because it really wasnt as bad as it sounds...The paper made it into such an ordeal! But cant blame em- Just wish they'd handled it all differently with my workplace, etc.

I even called the paper and talked to the editor...You wouldnt believe what he said to me!, but thats another story. In the end he was willing to put my part of the story on the front page, which I just wanted it all to be over with! Really though- I just couldnt believe it all unfolded in the way it did and for today to be as screwed as it was!

Kay Im done now! Thanks for understanding.

One more thing... How many freakin caches have you found on bridges? :ph34r: I can think of a bunch of em and sure you can too! Including one named of all things "bridges" :blink:

Kay now Im done- and hungry!

007:

To make you feel better, I have seen a box attached by magnet to one of those large steel transmission-line towers (looks like an eiffel tower.) How about one near a railroad track between a chemical plant and a refinery. Several small foot bridges.

At least you made the Gobal Incident Map

007:

To make you feel better, I have seen a box attached by magnet to one of those large steel transmission-line towers (looks like an eiffel tower.) How about one near a railroad track between a chemical plant and a refinery. Several small foot bridges.

At least you made the Gobal Incident Map

YIKES! Boy you aint kiddin...Better set em straight! Not bad compared to all the other mayhem goin on!!! :blink:

Edited by 007BigD

Common sense says that these things aren't likely to be bombs... not that they need to be placed away from these type of places. The guidelines say they have to be placed away, probably because people don't have common sense. We had a very nice cache that was pulled because of an emergency services response to several brand new cachers who saw a black garbage bag, thought there was a body in it (for no good reason - they didn't even bother to look close enough to check if there was SOMETHING other than sticks or garbage in it) and called 911.

Common sense isn't as common as people think. Knee-jerk reactions are much more common, and this hurts all of us - in PR problems, in creating overly restrictive guidelines by the site, in people doing stupid things which fall inside OR outside the guidelines, etc... many examples.

The geocache placement guidelines clearly state:

To reduce confusion and alarm when a cache is discovered accidentally, clearly label your container on the outside with appropriate information to say it is a geocache.

Even that doesn't save them. :blink:

I would think it would be common sense not to hide a box covered in electrical circuitry anywhere near a bridge or any sort of public transportation infrastructure. In our current world anything that might arise suspicion by unsuspecting muggles inevitably will arise suspicion.

I don't know how near your ammo can was to the bridge or bridge supports, but if it was close enough that a bridge inspector found it, it was probably breaking some guideline somewhere. It's a shame your reviewer did not catch this.

I hope everyone can learn from these incidents. Nobody wants Geocaching to turn into a PR nightmare, or having to register every cache placed within city limits with the local PD...