Car power cable for eTtrex VistaHCx - need a help

Hi Guys

Does anyone have original Garmin made car power cabel for eTrex units with mini-USB plug?

Id like to know, what output values in Volts (V) and Ampers (A, mA) has it. It should be marked on a sticker near the LED light

thanks a lot!!! I will appreciate any help.

It shouldn't matter. USB gives a limit on what can be pushed through a connection so that any usb device can be hooked up to any computer without getting fried.

Any USB car charger should function properly with the Vista. I know my 76CSx works fine with my charger for my phone which is mini USB B.

ok..but Vista /GPSmap is powered by two AA batteries- total 3 V, and most of the third-party cables come with USB come with 4,2- 5V output, /dont know Amper value/ so it makes me uncertain whether it could harm the unit or not.

Since original cabel is bloody expensive here in EU, Im looking for an equivalent substitution, cheaper one which could work as one by Garmin

Looking for another angle, standard USB connection must be used for data transmission between PC and the device (mapping transfer process may be pretty lengthy). During this time, the battery is cut off, the device is supported by the USB power.

I can hardly think Garmin leave this path potentially damaging.

ok..but Vista /GPSmap is powered by two AA batteries- total 3 V, and most of the third-party cables come with USB come with 4,2- 5V output, /dont know Amper value/ so it makes me uncertain whether it could harm the unit or not.

Since original cabel is bloody expensive here in EU, Im looking for an equivalent substitution, cheaper one which could work as one by Garmin

Since USB standard is 5 volts, don't you think that Garmin put a voltage regulator circuit inside the GPSr between the mini USB port and the internal electronics? Or that the GPSr is designed to operate within the available voltage range of battery power to standard USB power?

I use a generic 12v cigarette lighter to USB converter plug. USB output is 5v because there's a voltage regulator built into the cigarette lighter converter plug. Else, it would not meet the USB standard. I use the cable that came with my Vista HCx OR the cable that came with my Cannon A620 camera. No difference. There is no attenuator built into the USB cable, so a generic cable would work just as well.

Question was previously asked in this thread

Edited by cliff_hanger

cool.. guys, you and all the posts have convinced me to use my generic USB cig plug...I didnt know, that USB has some kind of standards in terms of voltage output...

anyway..this was really enlightening and helpful to me :-)

cheers!