Spider geocaching.com with Premium Account

gegy

Hello.

My question is: is it allowed to spider caches from geocaching.com with the Programm

cachewolf when i have a premium account?

Getting caches with cachewolf is very nice because it also gets the Photos and pictures from

the cache. I don't know if this is possible with gpx files.

Thanks for Information!

Edited by gegy

A spider is a type of program that will access pages on a web site and copy all the pages that it looks at. You can set up a program to "spider" all the caches within 50 miles of your home coordinates via the search page and you'll get a database containing copies of all the web pages.

This can really eat up bandwidth and if the site allowed this practice it wouldn't take long before none of us could access the site. It can also be a way for someone to try and steal the entire database of caches, which really ticks off the folks running this site.

Pocket Queries are a MUCH better way to get this type of information if you want to use it to find caches in a specific area, and you can use filters and schedule how often you want the information sent too.

What is the OP talking about? What are "spider caches", and what is it about whatever he's asking that is not allowed?

Spidering is a term used to describe the action of having your computer download each page on it's own. Also sometimes called web scraping.

Hello.

My question is: is it allowed to spider caches from geocaching.com with the Programm

cachewolf when i have a premium account?

Getting caches with cachewolf is very nice because it also gets the Photos and pictures from

the cache. I don't know if this is possible with gpx files.

Thanks for Information!

While 'spidering' is not allowed, you can get the cache page pics through the use of pocket queries and Plucker.

And while you are waiting for those guys to weigh in, you might want to read the site Terms of Use.

http://www.geocaching.com/about/termsofuse.aspx

5. Access and Interference

Much of the information on the Site is updated on a real time basis and is proprietary or is licensed to Groundspeak by our users or third parties. You agree that you will not use any robot, spider, scraper or other automated means to access the Site for any purpose without our express written permission. Additionally, you agree that you will not: (a) take any action that imposes, or may impose in our sole discretion an unreasonable or disproportionately large load on our infrastructure; or (B ) interfere or attempt to interfere with the proper working of the Site or any activities conducted on the Site or other measures we may use to prevent or restrict access to the Site.

Edited by Motorcycle_Mama

And while you are waiting for those guys to weigh in, you might want to read the site Terms of Use.

Much of the information on the Site is updated on a real time basis and is proprietary or is licensed to Groundspeak by our users or third parties. You agree that you will not use any robot, spider, scraper or other automated means to access the Site for any purpose without our express written permission. Additionally, you agree that you will not: (a) take any action that imposes, or may impose in our sole discretion an unreasonable or disproportionately large load on our infrastructure; or (B ) interfere or attempt to interfere with the proper working of the Site or any activities conducted on the Site or other measures we may use to prevent or restrict access to the Site.

This is the correct answer. Nice job. To word it another way, "No you may not use a spider on our site!"

Yes, thank you, this is what i was looking for. I am not shure if spider would work, but i will not do it. It was ONLY a question in fact!

A spider is a type of program that will access pages on a web site and copy all the pages that it looks at. You can set up a program to "spider" all the caches within 50 miles of your home coordinates via the search page and you'll get a database containing copies of all the web pages.

This can really eat up bandwidth and if the site allowed this practice it wouldn't take long before none of us could access the site. It can also be a way for someone to try and steal the entire database of caches, which really ticks off the folks running this site.

Pocket Queries are a MUCH better way to get this type of information if you want to use it to find caches in a specific area, and you can use filters and schedule how often you want the information sent too.

and if i have a pocket query is it also not allowed to get the spoiler pictures from the caches?? i think this pictures are really important for paperless caching.

and if i have a pocket query is it also not allowed to get the spoiler pictures from the caches?? i think this pictures are really important for paperless caching.

Yes. You can use a program like Plucker or Sunrise to obtain those pictures.

Yes...? you mean it is allowed?

Please read this post:
Since Plucker is featured on the GC.com page telling you how to use/convert a PQ, I would assume that it is OK as long as you are a Premium Member and are using the your PQ and PQ management tools strictly for geocaching. That is just a guess though.
Mtn-Man is correct. If you are a premium member and are using your Pocket Queries and Pocket Query management tools for geocaching, it is acceptable to download the image from our image server. This assumes that the image is inside the description of the cache and in the GPX file. Scraping the web site to find unlinked images is, however, off limits.

Please read this post:
Since Plucker is featured on the GC.com page telling you how to use/convert a PQ, I would assume that it is OK as long as you are a Premium Member and are using the your PQ and PQ management tools strictly for geocaching. That is just a guess though.
Mtn-Man is correct. If you are a premium member and are using your Pocket Queries and Pocket Query management tools for geocaching, it is acceptable to download the image from our image server. This assumes that the image is inside the description of the cache and in the GPX file. Scraping the web site to find unlinked images is, however, off limits.

Very Nice! Thaths all i have to know... Getting pocket queries with spoiler pictures was one point for me to get a premium membership

Edited by gegy

Please read this post:

Very Nice! Thaths all i have to know... Getting pocket queries with spoiler pictures was one point for me to get a premium membership

I use GSAK to convert my PQ to html, then use Sunrise to convert that to a version usable by my PDA's Plucker application. Sunrise runs faster than Plucker's desktop application, is less likely to crash, and allows me to sync the cache page pics.