Caches Along the Way

valntine

I'm going on a trip. I create the klm file in Google Earth. I download it and then upload it to geocaching and create a pocket query with it. I get the pocket query results - all good. Normally when you run a pocket query you can preview it (see the caches on a google map). That lets you grab some screen shots, print them, make notes, etc. When I generate the pocket query from a route, I don't have that option. I can see the individual waypoints and a map of that location and data about it but I can't get a "global" picture of my entire route. It is possible to see something in google earth but it is all muddied up by the satelite imagery. I'd like to see it in something like google maps where you could see the routes and caches clearly. Anyone have any suggestions?

I usually send the file to Mapsource by Garmin, and view it there.

What is mapsource - is that a program that you get with a garmin gps or do you have to buy it or is it a free download? It looks to me like it is a seperate program on Garmin site.

Take the PQ, open it in Google Earth and print from there.

The OP indicated that "It is possible to see something in google earth but it is all muddied up by the satellite imagery. " So I think they are looking for something different.

Something like the following link using Google Earth might help. It is a Google Map overlay for GE.

http://bernhard.sterzbach.de/googlemapsoverlay.html

Edit to add that if right click the Google Maps Overlay title that is in the places section in Google Earth then select properties you can change the transparency to whatever you desire. If you only want Google Maps you simply change the default to 100.

Edited by TheBeanTeam

It sounds like you are not totally submersed in your obsession yet (geocaching). B)

Once you get an expensive GPSR unit, you will probably purchase a map program with it.

Mapsource is just the Garmin brand mapping software.

I usually dump all the waypoints on the map and sort thru them to create a days worth of caching (just like you are doing).

Did the preview mentioned above help?