SWAG

I am looking to order some printed wooden nickels, and I am wondering if there are some guidelines as to what I can put on them. I have a part time hobby, and I have a website that coincides with that hobby, so am I within the GC guildelines if I use wooden nickels that have my website address on them? Or do I need to stick to using phrases like, "This cache found by Hayewe" ? What classifies swag as being "commercial"? If I find a cache with a drink chip (usually plastic or wooden nickel) from a local drinking establishment with their website on it, is that in violation of the GC rules?

I can't find the portion of the guidelines that would clarify this for me. If someone has the link to it, that'd be great also. Thanks!

sure I saw a long discussion thread about this way back when I first started geocaching....last year lol and it appeared that the consensus was that it had to be 100% free ...so vouchers for a whole free pizza from a nearby pizza shop or a free conservatory were allowed BUT 10% off or buy one get one free vouchers were not as they tied folk into a commercial contract! Feel free to disprove me if I've remembered it wrong as it was a long time ago and I can't find the thread at the moment! ...so looks like your nickle would probably be ok if it only had website on it! n if I'm wrong sure as sure someone'll let us know!

sure I saw a long discussion thread about this way back when I first started geocaching....last year lol and it appeared that the consensus was that it had to be 100% free ...so vouchers for a whole free pizza from a nearby pizza shop or a free conservatory were allowed BUT 10% off or buy one get one free vouchers were not as they tied folk into a commercial contract! Feel free to disprove me if I've remembered it wrong as it was a long time ago and I can't find the thread at the moment! ...so looks like your nickle would probably be ok if it only had website on it! n if I'm wrong sure as sure someone'll let us know!

A person has the option of leaving the swag coupon there if they don't want to get 10% off or BOGO somewhere. If I found a 10% off coupon for Pizza Hut I'd snag it right up because I know I'll use it since I eat there alot. If I found a 10% off coupon for Burger King I'd leave it there because I never eat there. It's swag, just becuase it's there doesn't mean you have to take it or use it. KWIM?

There isn't a guideline covering commercial material left as swag in a cache. However, I'm not sure that using caching to drive business to your website/pizza shop/garage is a.) a very good usage of your resources, and b.) will be very well received by the finders of your swag promotional items.

I own a restaurant management and catering company, and would never think to use caching to generate sales here. YMMV

Edited by wimseyguy

I haven't been caching for all that long but honestly I agree with a comment above that says that you aren't obligated to take anything that you find in a cache.

Some examples - I found a wooden nickel for a free beer at a nearby bar once. I snapped it up but I can see where some parents wouldn't want their children to take that. But it shouldn't have been offensive to anyone.

When I first started caching I had a stack of Chick-Fil-A coupons that were Get a free breakfast entree when you bought a coke. I moved to area where there are no chick fil a restaurants. These coupons had no expiration date since they were given to me by a franchise owner after a rather unfortunate incident. I think I left one in the first 10 or so caches I found (along with other swag). If you don't want to pay $1.29 for a coke and get a $3.49 biscuit for free then don't take the card out and leave it for someone who will appreciate a discount.

I don't think leaving things with expiration dates is a good idea because they will eventually turn into geo-trash if no one picks them up before they expire, but I don't see anything wrong with sharing a good deal with fellow cachers.