jthaynes

As I was sitting in my living room surfing the web, my Son came in all excited and showed me what he had found. He found an ammo box by the creek on the back 40 of our property. We opened the box and found out it was a cache. I had never even heard about this before. My daughter wrote on the log book that we had found it and the date (yesterday) and added a pen for the log book. We put it back where it was and not quite sure what to do now. My family and I think this is a neat idea, we would like to get involved, are we supposed to re-hide it somewhere else???

Thanks for any input.

You leave it where you found it. Thank you so much for putting it back so that others could enjoy it. Now that you have found it, you need to go to geocaching.com and log it. Find that particular cache page, then up in the right hand corner it will say log my visit. You click on that, click that you found it and the date then write a little note. This is an addicting little game we have here, welcome to the fun!!!

Welcome to the Forums! :lol:

First of all, thank you for putting the container back. The container needs to be rehidden exactly where it was so future seekers can find it.

Now, to find out which cache it was . . . From the "Search" page you can search by address and that might bring up the cache. Hopefully, you can tell from the description which cache it is . . . unless the cache is the end stage of a Multi, which starts well away from that location, or if it is a Puzzle cache. :P

Let's hope is is a Traditional. It will be listed as "Regular" Size.

Then, when you find the correct cache, in the upper right corner, you click "Log your visit" and tell your story. Your "Find Count" will then be '1'. :D

As I was sitting in my living room surfing the web, my Son came in all excited and showed me what he had found. He found an ammo box by the creek on the back 40 of our property. We opened the box and found out it was a cache. I had never even heard about this before. My daughter wrote on the log book that we had found it and the date (yesterday) and added a pen for the log book. We put it back where it was and not quite sure what to do now. My family and I think this is a neat idea, we would like to get involved, are we supposed to re-hide it somewhere else???

Thanks for any input.

Firstly, since you indicate that this was on your property (apparently without your permission), you have every right to scrap the thing, and say "the heck with the whole sport".

Secondly, you can log your first find since you have already signed up on the Groundspeak site.

I congratulate you on being one of the few landowners who inadvertently discovers a geocache on their property and takes the time to investigate what in fact this thing is. Although some cache hiders are lax in their placement etiquette, most of us would have asked permission first, or at least checked out whether the location was on private property.

Please join us in this pastime and have as much fun as many of us have had finding secret spots and unheard of jewels in places we never dreamed of before.

Okay, I have logged it in as found. I found "up a creek without a paddle". I posted on the page. Thank You for putting this on my property. I would have never heard about this game!
Cache hiders are supposed to ask property owners for permission, but as long as you are cool with it then "no harm, no foul."

You are the first person I've ever heard of that got into the game because of finding a cache on your property. That's pretty cool! :lol:

You are being awfully kind to someone that hid a cache on your property without your permission. At any rate, Welcome to the sport and read the forums for guidance on a GPSr that will work for you and especially read the guidelines for proper placement of geocaches.....which obviously someone did not do. Its a good idea to find quite a few caches before hiding your first one. At that point you will a have a very good idea of how to hide your first cache.

Edited by groundhog123
He found an ammo box by the creek on the back 40 of our property. We opened the box and found out it was a cache.

ATTENTION GEOCACHERS:

This is a perfect example of how your* unwillingness to follow the guidelines endangers myself, my family, other cachers and the sport of geocaching.

I stand by the thought that every cache should have a box that has to be checked to show that permission was acquired. It should also say who gave permission. Assuming permission in a park is one thing, but this is crazy.

Thank you for not trashing the cache. This cache should be archived for the fact that the owner failed to get permission. (Unless you give permission now.) This makes all of their other hides suspect.

:lol:

*This is not directed at every geocacher. Just to those who play by a different set of rules. Why can't you play on another site?

Edited by knight2000
He found an ammo box by the creek on the back 40 of our property. We opened the box and found out it was a cache.

ATTENTION GEOCACHERS:

This is a perfect example of how your* unwillingness to follow the guidelines endangers myself, my family, other cachers and the sport of geocaching.

I stand by the thought that every cache should have a box that has to be checked to show that permission was acquired. It should also say who gave permission. Assuming permission in a park is one thing, but this is crazy.

Thank you for not trashing the cache. This cache should be archived for the fact that the owner failed to get permission. (Unless you give permission now.) This makes all of their other hides suspect.

:lol:

*This is not directed at every geocacher. Just to those who play by a different set of rules. Why can't you play on another site?

Before we go off half cocked here about permission, has anyone looked at the cache page in question? GC1A1RY The OP does say it is placed out in the back 40. Without much knowledge of the area, to me the cache appears to be bordering on a park. The are a few other caches in the area. The satellite photo doesn't help much either. Perhaps the cache owner entered through the park and didn't realize he or she had moved on to someone's property. It could be a completely innocent mistake. It might not be. Let's not be so quick to accuse though.

I would suggest the OP send the cache owner a quick email to adivse him or her of the situation and give the cache owner a chance to decide what they want to do and update the cache page.

Just my two cents. Take it for what its worth.

Cheers!

Edited by ace862

It is me again....It was on my property. But you would not know it was private property to begin with. Not by going across the creek from the park. I do not have it fenced off, there are no signs saying stay off private property or anything. This person, inadvertanly put it there, to hide for some one to find. Technically, my property starts at my street and ends at the creek. But also technically it is public property because of it being on the creek, there is a public access restriction, just like from your street (5 foot?) towards your property is public access. So while I say it is my property, technically it is not. It is public access. I am not offended!!! I actually enjoyed it. I now have a new hobby!!! Thank you!!! :huh: The owner of the cache and the person who went with them has e-mailed me and I have explained to them the same thing. Now I have to go and buy a GPS system, so I can be more active in this game!!!! And again....It is fine where it is. I am perfectly fine with it.

JTHaynes

Edited by jthaynes

It is me again....It was on my property. But you would not know it was private property to begin with. Not by going across the creek from the park. I do not have it fenced off, there are no signs saying stay off private property or anything. This person, inadvertanly put it there, to hide for some one to find. Technically, my property starts at my street and ends at the creek. But also technically it is public property because of it being on the creek, there is a public access restriction, just like from your street (5 foot?) towards your property is public access. So while I say it is my property, technically it is not. It is public access. I am not offended!!! I actually enjoyed it. I now have a new hobby!!! Thank you!!! :) The owner of the cache and the person who went with them has e-mailed me and I have explained to them the same thing. Now I have to go and buy a GPS system, so I can be more active in this game!!!! And again....It is fine where it is. I am perfectly fine with it.

JTHaynes

Thanks for clarifying things there. It is always most appreciated.

By the way, welcome to the game, er... obsession. :D It's alotta fun!

Cheers! :huh: