Found GPS

A couple of weeks ago while at a cache called 'Over the edge' near Sleaford I found a GPS unit hanging in a tree!

I have posted on the cache page and also asked the cache owner if he knows of anyone who has lost it. With no response.

I know the owner lives in Sleaford in Lincolnshire. If you know anyone who might have lost it please get in touch with me.

Steve.

A couple of weeks ago while at a cache called 'Over the edge' near Sleaford I found a GPS unit hanging in a tree!

I have posted on the cache page and also asked the cache owner if he knows of anyone who has lost it. With no response.

I know the owner lives in Sleaford in Lincolnshire. If you know anyone who might have lost it please get in touch with me.

Steve.

Does the unit not display the owners info on startup.. I know much of the Garmin stuff does if it has been setup with all the info?

There is no owner info - first thing I checked. There is a Home icon, so I have narrowed it down to one of perhaps 3 houses on Autoroute. I plan to visit them when next in the area.

The funny thing is that I remember seeing at least one name in the log book, which I couldn't quite make out, but when I checked the cache page it hasn't been logged. That applies to all the 'found' caches on the unit.

If I had lost my GPS I would be watching all the caches I visited that day to see if it had been found!

Also is there a "Home" waypoint, which would show where the owner lives, or is there a tracklog which might show you which (if any) caches were last visited and you might be able to deduce which cacher it belongs to.

The funny thing is that I remember seeing at least one name in the log book, which I couldn't quite make out, but when I checked the cache page it hasn't been logged. That applies to all the 'found' caches on the unit.

On holiday, with no internet access?

Although I think I'd call into an internet cafe to post the fact I'd "miss laid" my GPSr... :)

G

shucks we only had a day off and didn't quite far as sleaford....princessannie is now asking for her own gpsr? hope you are successful in reuniting this with its owner....nice to know that geocachers willl look out for each others :anibad:you'd have to be cryptic though) and also give the local police station a bell they may have received a report of it missing?

Edited by minxyy

If I had lost my GPS I would be watching all the caches I visited that day to see if it had been found!

Quite often when I get home my 'caching bag' just gets thrown in the closet until next time, so if I'd lost my GPS I wouldn't find out about it until I went out again (prob the following weekend). Maybe this is what's happened.

Here's my theory :(

He/she went out Geocaching for the day and was 0/9 for the day, came to this one and couldn't find it. Out of frustration he/she threw the device never to cache again.

Moments later, low and behold a tree is growing a GPS! :rolleyes:

On a serious note, I think it's very respectable of you to even post that you found a GPS - my guess is that quite a few would keep it hush hush.