EarthCache question

Jennifer&Dean

Posting as a favor---this is not me talking.

"You probably noticed by now that the search page you mention only shows the most recent 10 caches in a state. Yours probably was there for about 2 minutes before 10 other newer ones showed up.

The 'other' search page by State shows ALL the caches in a state with the most recent listed first, and the oldest cache thousands of pages down the list. Yours is right there within the 1'st page so it's still in the top 20 of newly published caches in your state.

"

Earthcaches go through a different procedure then regular caches. geoaware reviews the listing and publishes it. They then send you an adoption request, which you must accept to gain ownership of the listing. If you don't accept it, geoaware will kill off the listing.

Once you are the new owner you can modify the cache page (within reason). Add text formating, photos, html etc. You may also need to enable the cache. Sometimes geoaware will request minor changes to the listing but still publish it. You can make the changes after you accept the adoption.

You will also want to put your own handle in the "placed by" box. I saw another guy do this and copied him -so that all my earthcaches are listed as placed by "legacypac, a Gold Earthcache Master". This is to promote the free and very cool Earthcache Master Program.

The "listed date" on the cache page is modifiable and you might want to change it so the listing will show up as a new cache as of the day it is published. Sometimes it might take a week or more to get it approved and adopted to you, so it will not look like a "new" cache unless you update the date.

If you have any other questions I will try to answer them. I've got 7 Earthcaches in 3 juristictions, so I've learned a few things by trial and error now.

Earthcaches go through a different procedure then regular caches. geoaware reviews the listing and publishes it. They then send you an adoption request, which you must accept to gain ownership of the listing. If you don't accept it, geoaware will kill off the listing.

Once you are the new owner you can modify the cache page (within reason). Add text formating, photos, html etc. You may also need to enable the cache. Sometimes geoaware will request minor changes to the listing but still publish it. You can make the changes after you accept the adoption.

You will also want to put your own handle in the "placed by" box. I saw another guy do this and copied him -so that all my earthcaches are listed as placed by "legacypac, a Gold Earthcache Master". This is to promote the free and very cool Earthcache Master Program.

The "listed date" on the cache page is modifiable and you might want to change it so the listing will show up as a new cache as of the day it is published. Sometimes it might take a week or more to get it approved and adopted to you, so it will not look like a "new" cache unless you update the date.

If you have any other questions I will try to answer them. I've got 7 Earthcaches in 3 juristictions, so I've learned a few things by trial and error now.

I did all this within minutes of adopting it this morning.

I don't think I missed anything. Do you see any reason that the page wouldn't show up on that Montana State page? I am guessing it is a bug in the system. Or something wrong with my computer. It just got it's first find. :ph34r:

_J

It was submitted on 04/22/08 so when it was published in May it was still listed as it was dated on 04/22. So it wouldn't be on the first page of the newly published caches but with the others that was submitted on the same date.

Edited by joranda