Minor Rant

IANNA

I am a little miffed, I was going though the puzzle caches I have solved but have yet had a chance to go out and look for them. I just finished working on a 4 difficulty puzzle cache after 2 weeks of working on it. I contacted the cache owner for a hint on the cache and was provided a hint that I already figured out. I sent an email to the owners a day later requesting possibly another hint to keep my solving going forward. Since the first email I never had any response from the owner and after a few days of no response I asked the most recent finder if he had any hints that would help me in the right direction in which they responded with one simple hint that ultimately help me after two more days of investigating solve the puzzle. I was so excited when i finally figured out the puzzle the sense of accomplishment on this one was great. I sent an email the owner saying thanks for a great cache and made a suggestion and the one word addition to the hint they gave me via email. I went to download the cache to my gps today, and noticed it has been made a 1 difficulty and after investigating further noticed that the hint now tells you exactly how to solve the whole thing. I was looking forward to adding the 4 difficulty cache to my books but now Im considering not doing it out of protest for the way this cacher decided to handle the advise.

Man, what a bummer. So you did all the level 4 work, but the Cache will show as only a level 1?

I wouldn't worry about it, presuming you had fun working out the puzzle. I don't imagine the Owner ruined their puzzle on purpose, but on the other hand... I have some puzzles that have been very (shall we say) puzzling to some people. I've consideder changing them to multi caches, and rather than making someone find the clues, I would add the clues to the Cache description. Would this be cheating the original finders of their glory?

The reason I would consider doing this...They have been puzzles for years, and most players who ever will find them as a puzzle already have. To now give out the information needed would open the cache to those who have been unable to solve the puzzle portion.

My reason NOT to...someone else has copied my series, and to reveal the clues to mine would ruin theirs, and any future Caches in the series.

I know you feel cheated, but is it possible that they just decided it was time to make the puzzle more accessible?

Edited by WRITE SHOP ROBERT

4 stars or 1 star, you still had the fun of solving it. That what's about anyway, right? Don't worry there are still more 4+ star caches out too. :rolleyes:;)

But I can see point.

Happy Caching.

The sad part, there were many days i spent cursing the name of the cache owner for the difficulty on solving this, as well as how many Tylenol i went through to get rid of the headache it caused me. So did I have fun solving it yes and no. When i was on the right track yes, when i was examining chicken DNA in depth to find out i was way off base not so much. The 4 star rating isnt really the point to me here it was the fact that i asked for a help and was ignored and when i finally did get it solved, they changed it and gave the solution to everyone. Now if you going to just give out the answer like that why even bother making ti a puzzle cache in the first place.

The reason I would consider doing this...They have been puzzles for years, and most players who ever will find them as a puzzle already have. To now give out the information needed would open the cache to those who have been unable to solve the pussle portion.

This cache was only published like on march 2, 2008 and only has about 7 finds so far so i am sure there are more people in that short time frame that would have at least took a stab at solving it

GC19WQ8 this is the cache I am referencing

Edited by IANNA

4 stars or 1 star, you still had the fun of solving it. That what's about anyway, right? Don't worry there are still more 4+ star caches out too. :rolleyes:;)

But I can see point.

Happy Caching.

The sad part, there were many days i spent cursing the name of the cache owner for the difficulty on solving this, as well as how many Tylenol i went through to get rid of the headache it caused me. So did I have fun solving it yes and no. When i was on the right track yes, when i was examining chicken DNA in depth to find out i was way off base not so much. The 4 star rating isnt really the point to me here it was the fact that i asked for a help and was ignored and when i finally did get it solved, they changed it and gave the solution to everyone. Now if you going to just give out the answer like that why even bother making ti a puzzle cache in the first place.

The reason I would consider doing this...They have been puzzles for years, and most players who ever will find them as a puzzle already have. To now give out the information needed would open the cache to those who have been unable to solve the pussle portion.

This cache was only published like on march 2, 2008 and only has about 7 finds so far so i am sure there are more people in that short time frame that would have at least took a stab at solving it

GC19WQ8 this is the cache I am referencing

The reasons I gave were just applied to my puzzle, they may have had their own reasons to change it. But I agree that it's a bummer. Maybe they got a lot of different players asking for help, and just gave up.

Edited by WRITE SHOP ROBERT
So here is another puzzle cache…not my favorite type of cache by any stretch of the imagination. We’ve solved a few puzzles, especially lately, but they can be a real annoyance.

I might venture a guess that the original difficulty was meant as payback to the others in the area who had them perplexed. After a few finds, the objective was met? Just a possibility.

Perhaps the owner was annoyed by the number of people asking for hints, so they decided to make hints unneccessary? Just a thought.

That's exactly what I think happened. Some people don't spend much time each day online and want to keep email to a minimum.