60CSx - How much memory is left?

Is there a way on a Garmin GPSMap60CSx to see how much memory is left after downloading my pocket queries into it?

I load four PQ's into it once a week corresponding to the four points of the compass and this gives me a very good coverage from my home location. I have tailored the PQ sizes so they all fit into the GPSr, however, it would be interesting to be able to see how many more caches would fit in without filling up the waypoint memory.

Is there a way on a Garmin GPSMap60CSx to see how much memory is left after downloading my pocket queries into it?

I load four PQ's into it once a week corresponding to the four points of the compass and this gives me a very good coverage from my home location. I have tailored the PQ sizes so they all fit into the GPSr, however, it would be interesting to be able to see how many more caches would fit in without filling up the waypoint memory.

To check how much memory is left on a 60 csx, first go to the main menu (push Menu twice). Then go to Setup, and then select System. Push the Menu button and select Card Info. That should show you how full your memory is, and what is taking up the space.

To check how much memory is left on a 60 csx, first go to the main menu (push Menu twice). Then go to Setup, and then select System. Push the Menu button and select Card Info. That should show you how full your memory is, and what is taking up the space.

Except that waypoints aren't stored on the card. They're stored in main memory, and that's not shown on the Card Info display. That's assuming he's not loading them as POIs, and there's nothing in his message to indicate that.

The GPS will hold a specific number of waypoints. It's not directly based on the amount of memory available. The 60CSx will hold 1,000 waypoints, regardless of what else is or is not loaded. It reserves enough memory to handle 1,000 waypoints, and that memory is not used for anything else.

Edited by Prime Suspect

Not JUST waypoints......

Saved tracks, Routes and up to 1000 waypoints are saved to internal memory.( x number of Tracks,x number of Routes, and x number of Waypoints) separate and distinct amounts, independent of each other.

If the user desires, Tracks can also be logged the the card, if that option is chosen. Otherwise, only maps go on the card.

Edited by Grasscatcher

Except that waypoints aren't stored on the card. They're stored in main memory, and that's not shown on the Card Info display. That's assuming he's not loading them as POIs, and there's nothing in his message to indicate that.

The GPS will hold a specific number of waypoints. It's not directly based on the amount of memory available. The 60CSx will hold 1,000 waypoints, regardless of what else is or is not loaded. It reserves enough memory to handle 1,000 waypoints, and that memory is not used for anything else.

Is there a way to see how may waypoints are already loaded? I haven't been able to find one.

Is there a way to see how may waypoints are already loaded? I haven't been able to find one.

I usually just download the data from my GPS to Mapsource to see how many waypoints are on the unit. I'm not sure if there is a way to see it on the GPS itself.

Since Geocache waypoints can get "stale," I delete all of the Geocaches, and Geocaches Found, as well as the Child Waypoints before sending a new, fresh set of caches from GSAK.

After each caching adventure, I download all the Waypoints and Tracks to my computer and save that file. Should I ever need one of those waypoints, like if a cache is Archived in the future, I can always refer back to that file.

Ok, someone please clarify. Last summer I was tracking my backpacking route with my 60csx and it quit tracking...ran out of memory. May or may not have had it set to send it to the card. Anyway in checking with a short route it does not send it to the card, just shows up as stored internally. Does the unit save the route(track) to the internal memory till it is full and thensaves the rest to the card as long as there is room on it? Or should it be saving all to the card when yo set it up 'to save to card' ? I have a long trip planned this summer and want to save our route. Suggestions? Thanks