My activated coin sold on ebay

jevans7

I got an email for a coin trade and made the trade. Because it was a cacher from out of the US I ask if I sent some other coins if he would put them in to cache there. He said that he would be glad to. I activated two coins and sent them with the coin for the trade and sent him a free coin for his trouble. Then I get an email from a cacher that he just bought my coin on eBay and wants me to let him adopt it. I sent an email to the cacher I made the trade with and ask him why he sold my coin but never got a reply. What would you do?

I think that depends on how long you've waited for a response. It's quite possible he had another of those type of coins, and sold yours by accident. Maybe he is getting out of coins, and just forgot that one was activated. Could be he just sold it knowingly, and that's just wrong. If that latter case is true, I would think that the Ebay buyer would have to send you the coin, and file an Ebay claim if he's willing, since clearly material sold was not the property of the seller.

TMA

Just my two cents, but it's the responsibility of the person selling the coin(s) on eBay to know what coins he has and which are activated and which are ones he's supposed to drop in a cache.

If you've tried several times and he hasn't responded, then I would explain the entire situation to the buyer that is asking to adopt the coins and have him/her try to help contact the seller. The buyer should know the eBay ID and you can also try to contact the seller through that as well.

If you still don't get a legit response, then you and the buyer need to explain the situation to the eBay. The buyer should also request his money back and report that to eBay if the seller doesn't agree to refund it. The buyer may also be able to leave negative feedback for the seller, which might help other people from falling victim as well.

I know that might sound a little harsh, but it's truly the responsibility of the eBay seller. He might have made a completely innocent mistake, but if he did it is completely his responsibility to correct it.

All that being said, it still doesn't mean that your coins will be given back or dropped in a cache. Hopefully the buyer is understanding, because ultimately he/she is the one that will probably get screwed out of his/her money. :lol:

Keep up posted on what transpires!

If this is a situation of mistaken identity it is up the Ebay seller to sort it out. You can withhold adoption so the Ebay buyer is stuck with a useless coin and the seller will get very negative feedback. Or you can adopt away the coin and not be sure if it gets released or if it only sees the light of day at events and such. But so much of trading depends on good faith and here it appears at first blush that the Ebay seller acted in bad faith, if it's not the case s/he should rectify it.

Edited by Droo

I do know that mistakes like this can happen like TMA said. Recently I sold a coin on ebay that was activated. I had traded for it and didn't know because I rarely activate mine I don't think to check them. When the buyer contacted me I was really upset and emailed right back. The situation was quickly remedied to his satisfaction.

As someone said the ebay buyer needs to get in touch with the seller to get it straightened out for himself and also that may mean for you too. If the seller doesn't make it right or even attempt to make it right then obviously don't trade with him again. If that happens I think you should tell me the name so I don't trade with him either :lol::wub:

This is why I'm so cautious and never bid on activated coins on eBay. Negative Feedback for the seller for sure!

I've bought a few Activated coins on ebay and have'nt had a problem!! Just make sure you know whom you're dealing with. I can't imagine a Seller with 500+ Sales and Good Feedback risking his/her reputation over 1 coin! They MAY make a Mistake, but I'll bet you they bend over backwards to Make It Right!

Besides, it's a Great Way to get some of the "Classics" at a reasonable price that you can't find elsewhere.

I sincerely hope it was just a simple mistake of mixing up the coins by the person you sent the coins to. It pays to always check the Tracking IDs and see if the coins is activated or not.

As part of one of the geocoin missions I received recently in my package was what I thought was an unactivated WDD 2007 Geocoin - the package had the correct number of geocoins for the mission, so I thought that the cacher had some how laid their hands on an unactivated one. It wasn't I checked it at Easter (a couple of months after I had received it) that I found it was activated!! <_< A simple mistake on the part of the cacher who sent it to me. They obvious thought they'd got a free, unactivated coin from Groundspeak. Oh well, thats life.

Good luck on getting your situation sorted out.

As part of one of the geocoin missions I received recently in my package was what I thought was an unactivated WDD 2007 Geocoin - the package had the correct number of geocoins for the mission, so I thought that the cacher had some how laid their hands on an unactivated one. It wasn't I checked it at Easter (a couple of months after I had received it) that I found it was activated!! <_< A simple mistake on the part of the cacher who sent it to me. They obvious thought they'd got a free, unactivated coin from Groundspeak. Oh well, thats life.

When I read the page to receive one of the WDD 2007 Geocoins, it clearly stated they had all been activated. Everyone who signed up to receive those Geocoins should have had this information and I think there may even have been a check box. Perhaps the cacher who received the coin - didn't read the sign up page very well - but those had all been actived, I believe, just like the Jeep TBs.

Edited by hollora

No matter how it occured, it is ALWAYS the resposibility of the seller to KNOW exactly what he or she is selling and to provide full disclosure on the auction page and to the buyer.

Do not allow anyone to adopt your coin... it's yours!

The buyer should return the coin to the seller for a full refund and if the seller fails to comply, the buyer should report the theft and illegal sale to the eBay arbitrators.

Just my 2 cents worth.