Cache Camo

This may be an old question but I want to know your thought on fake wood duck houses or similar bird houses as hiding spots. I plan to have a false opening so birds will not try to actually nest here.

Hinged top or side for access to a small Lock N Lock inside.

Would use around parks, ponds & field edges.

Well, what do you think?

I've found a couple like that. I have no problem with it. Some, however, think that cache hunters may find yours and then go tear apart a real one some place else thinking it might be a cache.

Not an attack on you (But maybe on the "some" you referenced) :

Isn't every hide cause for "someone might see a ______ and go tear it apart thinking it's a cache"? Someone might be walking past a fallen tree, and think there is a cache. Someone might see a bolt in a sign and think it's a cache. Someone might see an ammo box with ammo in it and think its a cache. someone might see my mom's excellent Tupperware collection and rip it apart thinking there might be a cache. If anything, better hints or descriptions are probably needed. Don't take the hints or descriptions with you? Maybe you should start. A notebook is cheap.

/rant

I think this is a great cache idea. Don't let the "someone might rip apart a ____" argument stop you. I've found a few of these, one was a micro "corked" into the bottom of a false house, the other was a hinged, but sealed up house. Neat hide, lots of space for trades, and what muggle digs around in bird houses? Probably only the kind that would be interested in geocaching anyway!

There is a clever birdhouse cache here that is easy to find . . . obviously . . . but finding where the log is located is not so easy. The birdhouse is attached by what looks like two bolts, but only one actually goes all the way through the 4 X 4 post. The container, a small Altoids tin, is hidden in a hollowed out place only revealed when the birdhouse is moved to one side. Swinging the birdhouse out to one side or the other is not an obvious solution to the missing container/missing log dilemma. :laughing:

It is one of the famous, creative Sandy Creek Cowboy Caches. :)

I think your idea is a great one! :P

This may be an old question but I want to know your thought on fake wood duck houses or similar bird houses as hiding spots. I plan to have a false opening so birds will not try to actually nest here.

Hinged top or side for access to a small Lock N Lock inside.

Would use around parks, ponds & field edges.

Well, what do you think?

I've found a few of those. The most clever one I've found took you to a spot that had a six foot pole stuck in the ground with a hook on the end. There were coordinates on the side of the pole that took you under a large oak tree where you used the pole to pull down a fake birdhouse that was high up in the tree on a cable that was counter-balanced with a weight, so when you let go it after logging the cache; it went back up into the tree. :laughing: Edited by TrailGators
My major concern would be how you would attach it to a tree or other object without violating the guidelines.
It was really very clever. He had pulleys hanging from key branches on the tree to hold the steel cable. They were anchored with wire which was wrapped around the branch that they were on. So nothing was screwed into the tree; so it was all legit. It must have taken him many hours to create that masterpiece, but many cachers will remember it for a long time. My hat is off to the guy! :laughing: