Artist Editions

avroair

I was asked today if I had an AE or artist editon for a coin I had just produced. I was a little confused since I didn't design the coin, I just came up with the idea and gave it to a vendor to produce. Another artist actually worked up the artwork.

For me, I presume an Artist Edition to be a version of a coin given to the designer (or artist) in lieu of a payment for the coin. Am I taking that too literally? Or is it extended to a personal version someone gets for coming up with an idea. Just was curious about a clarification. (cause i gots lots of ideas that I don't actually design! :) )

To me an Artist is someone who comes up with the concept, as well as those who actually draw up the artwork. In order for the "artist" to draw the coin to your specifications, they make a first draft and you go in and tell them what changes need to be made... That is done so until you are satisfied. So yeah, to me both people are artists :)

This is just how I do it, and don't care if people do it another way.

When I come up with the idea for a coin but someone else draws it for me, the ones I minted for myself are the LEs or XLEs, depending on if I did an LE for sale.

If I draw it, then those I mint for myself, I call Artist Editions.

I guess I'm quite literal with the term!

I thought Artist Edition had been defined pretty well in one of those threads, but I think what your looking for is clarification on if you have the "idea" are the coins you are "rewarded" considered AE's? Is that it? I think it's up to you. I know you are an Artist as well, so creatively it was your design, just not your time to put it into design, which the artist who puts it into design gets paid by the mint anyway. So, yeah, I say it's up to you.

...... Another artist actually worked up the artwork.

For me, I presume an Artist Edition to be a version of a coin given to the designer (or artist) in lieu of a payment for the coin. Am I taking that too literally? Or is it extended to a personal version someone gets for coming up with an idea. Just was curious about a clarification. (cause i gots lots of ideas that I don't actually design! :) )

I don't think that just because you can come up with the idea for a coin makes you an artist, the artist does the work, and should... IMO be the one getting the AE.. Just because you want input on the design, doesn't make you an artist.. if it did.. then why would you need the artist in the first place?

I think the term "artist" is painted with a very broad stroke in the coin realm, there are true artists in this community don't get me wrong. But there are also clip art and photoshop wizards that I personally don't consider to be artists, don't take that wrong, a lot of good coins are clip art, and done by some great folks. A lot of variety and creativity to be had for sure. My point being.. someone could send me a random pic, and I could manipulate it with a photo program to make it look superfine and a virtual work of art... doesn't make me an artist or a photographer.. a good artist would make it look like a photo, and a good photographer would make it look like a piece of art. See what I'm sayin?

I think the AE version was borne out of the goodness of some actual artists to take coins instead of or in addition to payment for their services.

Not sure if I'm helping.. I'll have to read through all ATs threads to clarify...

I was asked today if I had an AE or artist editon for a coin I had just produced. I was a little confused since I didn't design the coin, I just came up with the idea and gave it to a vendor to produce. Another artist actually worked up the artwork.

For me, I presume an Artist Edition to be a version of a coin given to the designer (or artist) in lieu of a payment for the coin. Am I taking that too literally? Or is it extended to a personal version someone gets for coming up with an idea. Just was curious about a clarification. (cause i gots lots of ideas that I don't actually design! :D )

Here's my thoughts for what it's worth. Here in the geocoin world the term AE is used pretty liberally, if you come up with a concept, no matter how you did it, you are paid in coins and everyone seems to consider it the Artist Edition. The term has become quite common. Could you swap out terms such as AE and XLE, I would think so and maybe it would be more appropriate in alot of cases.

For example; My personal coin, Raiders of the Lost Cache (before I knew we were allowed to draw as an acceptable practice), I worked with a graphic artist. There is only one version but for the sake of arguement, lets say I had 30 done in copper, is that an AE? No, I don't think so. Number one there was alot of photo manipulation and I only had a concept of what I wanted. I'd consider a copper version if it existed more of an XLE over an AE. Like I said this is for arguement sake.

However, every other design from the Toucan to present has been hand drawn and I have all of them to prove it :D So, if I was given a special version for my design or minted one for my personal use, I feel I have every right to call it an AE, I drew it, it's my concept, no help with those computer programs. I'd consider that or even a graphic design that wasn't cut and pasted together a AE. That's just me though.

Personally with the stigma behind the AE now, I quit calling my stuff that and just went with the 'tsun version' instead. That way no one can whine.

Although I have to admit, I've got into a bad habit of asking other coiners who have come out with a design for their AE when I could have said XLE. Why we waste so much time defining versions of coins is beyond me. I just want the one I like no matter what acronym sits in front of it.

Guess the question is; what do you think the AE is, if you're comfortable using the term, than go for it, if not than use XLE... whatever floats your boat :)

I see the Artist Edition as coins given in payment to the person who did the artwork for a coin. These coins are generally in a metal or finish that is different from what is available for sale.

Also, if someone does their own design and wants to make a small amount of coins in a different finish from the rest of the coins for sale for their personal use (trading, etc), they have the right to call that version of the coin an Artist Edition.

I think some people are very creative and come up with awesome ideas for coins, but not everyone has the artistic ability to set an idea onto paper as they envision it, and so they need the help of another artist. I think the person who came up with the idea is an artist also, and if they receive some coins in payment for their idea, they can call it an AE if they choose, but an LE or XLE would also work.

The artist who draws it is the one who should get the AE, seems pretty straight forward to me. Oh, but hey, perhaps there is another edition that should come out, the CE, the concept(or's) edition. Why not, what's one more edition?!

Edited by Hula Bum