hiking shoes

If this is the shoe in question link to shoe it looks like a lite duty shoe. Looking at the photo, I would only use this shoe a trails. I does not look to be a winter shoe. The teck specs do not mention any insulation for cold weather.

Your best bet is to try one on for a while to see if it fits your foot. There is not shoe made that will fit everone. Go to a outdoor specialty store and ask for the person the know how to fit a shoe/boot.

Also get some good sox like Smart wool, Thorolo etc. something with Merino wool, yes you do want wool sox, even in the summer. Stay away from cotton-it is not good for your feet.

edit to add

buying boots

Edited by JohnnyVegas

Haven't used this shoe in particular, but I have several pairs of Keens. These look perfect for summer hiking over gentle terrain. Not sure why you would think they are a winter shoe, because there is no insulation and a thin, breathable membrane. You feet would likely freeze in lower temps.

As JV said, find a good boot fitter. Don't get hung up on a certain brand or style, because that brand might not be appropriate for your feet.

Different hiking boot makers design their boots to fit different feet. Some wide, some narrow, some high volume, some low volume, some high arch, some low arch, some wide heel, some narrow. This is why a boot that one person raves about can be living hell on another person's feet.

If you like the idea of these Keens, also consider trail runners and light, low cut hikers from Salomon, LL Bean, Merrell, Rachlie, Lowa, Vasque, Asolo and Scarpa who all have a rep for making quality hiking shoes.

Haven't used this shoe in particular, but I have several pairs of Keens. These look perfect for summer hiking over gentle terrain. Not sure why you would think they are a winter shoe, because there is no insulation and a thin, breathable membrane. You feet would likely freeze in lower temps.

As JV said, find a good boot fitter. Don't get hung up on a certain brand or style, because that brand might not be appropriate for your feet.

Different hiking boot makers design their boots to fit different feet. Some wide, some narrow, some high volume, some low volume, some high arch, some low arch, some wide heel, some narrow. This is why a boot that one person raves about can be living hell on another person's feet.

If you like the idea of these Keens, also consider trail runners and light, low cut hikers from Salomon, LL Bean, Merrell, Rachlie, Lowa, Vasque, Asolo and Scarpa who all have a rep for making quality hiking shoes.

I have read a couple of reviews and they rate this shoe as a cold weather shoe. They are saying there is wool in the shoe . But the keen website doesn't say that, That is why I am confused.

I have read a couple of reviews and they rate this shoe as a cold weather shoe. They are saying there is wool in the shoe . But the keen website doesn't say that, That is why I am confused.

The wool may be in there to wick moiture away from your feet (something cotton will not do) If Keen does not recomend them for cold weather there must be a reason.

Looking on the Keen web site I see a couple of the Kayak dealers close to me stock this show. The keen website also says the Newport is based on a the Keen newport sandle, it could be intended for the Kayak market. Also Keen does not mention a Wool lining, but they do mention a Woven Fabric liner.

GC Name: logsplitter1 :ph34r:The membrane may create more humidity in the shoes than usual for some people. If your feet sweat this may not be the shoe for you for summertime use :(

This is the e-mail from Keen that I got today

I have not seen the mentioned shoe in a store, but I did see the sandle that it is based on at REI. Newport Trail shoe has the same sole as the sandle you can see them on the Keen website, you could not pay me to wear them on a trail. The sole is almost flat with no tread and I do not see it offering any traction on lose ground.

Edited by JohnnyVegas

I run trail ultras some up mountains, and have been happiest with Salomons, until I went on trail with the Hash House Harriers last weekend. A guy was running the trail in Keen Newport sandals. I asked him how they worked, and he said he tossed his Salomons for them.

Well I'd already been pondering running in my Keen Sandals and didn't think it would work, but on Monday I gave it a try. Since then I've put in at least 5 miles per day on trails in them, 10 today, no socks, and I've been amazed. All the foot pain I associated with running distance is gone. Had a sore instep from hashing, it's gone. Holy doo doo bird batman!

It boggles the mind, but this 200 pounder has never found a better pair of trail running shoes as far as stable, no interference shoes go. Motion control shoes kill me, and Salomon has been adding more and more. I was running in Tech Amphibians cuz they are the lightest and least motion-control Salomons, but the Keen sandals are much better.

I know it sounds like it can't be true, but you may luck out running trails in Keen sandals like I did. Also, I've run 50-70 miles per week the last two Winters in the Tech Amphibians. Granted, it's South Carolina, but good socks like Smartwool are the key. So running in Keen shoes sounds very workable, but I'm sure I'd prefer the sandals, at least the warm half of the year.

Anyways, good luck!

- T of TandS

I wanted to add, I have Keen Venice H2 Sandals with nylon uppers lined with neoprene. My wife has the Newport H2 Sandals that also have the nylon-neoprene uppers. I think the nylon-neoprene in the H2s makes a big ang positive contribution to my comfort.

However, my hash buddy was running in stock Newports with the leather uppers, and he was as happy as a hound chasing a hare.

- T of TandS

Edited by tands

I don't know if those use the same type of sole or not, but I have 2 pairs of the Venice (more Teva sandal like) and while they are very comfortable, the traction is nowhere close to a Teva and when the footbed gets wet it can get quite slippery and dangerous. I have also found that they break down quicker than my Tevas and lose the cushion that I so desperately need. For casual hiking they're great, but that's about it.