Would YOU like my cache idea?

Phil&Phil2008

Hi all, B)

I'm hear in the Great Plains forum asking you guys if you would like my cache idea.

It's going to be a woodland woodland micro nano (yeah, I know.. it's scary :huh: ).. With a twist! I'm going to use a pinetree log (from a tree on my property that came down during a storm) drilled out with a hole just big enough for film canister. It would contain only a nano logbook and maybe one of my tiny sig items.

Now, if you lived near me, or were coming down to good ol' New Jersey, would you dare?

Thanks, Phil,

PS-Please be honest, I don't want my first cache to be a cache-to-be-avoided :huh: .

In all honesty, I would likely avoid a difficult to find micro/nano in the woods. Even full size caches can be difficult to find under tree cover and people may tear the area up looking for such a difficult hide. I also tend to like my hikes to be rewarded with something substantial instead of needle in a haystack type hide.

I do tend to ignore or give up quickly with all tricky hides though. They just aren't my cup of tea. But some people like them. Regardless, I think tricky hides are better suited for urban areas, or areas where damage to the surrounding location will not be a concern.

The idea is to keep the search fun. If it's a next to impossible find, the searchers will think it's missing or a next to impossible to find. To me, that's not a lot of fun. I prefer hides that are supposed to fool the muggles, not the seekers. :laughing:

I would have to agree that I am really not a fan of micros in the woods. Micros can be tough enough to find in an urban setting let alone trying to find them in the woods. Although I can’t always do this I would prefer to hide the biggest cache container I can and still have a good hide. I do have caches that are micros but there is no way that a larger container can be placed there and still have a hide that can be “safe” (if there is such a thing) from muggles. There are times when a film container or something similar can be hidden in other items that make the whole cache bigger. (Like a film canister in an fake animal).

Since that sort of a cache would be pretty difficult for a muggle to stumble upon, you might be better off putting it somewhere more public, like a 'pocket park' if your town has any of those. It wouldn't be as frustrating to park within a hundred feet and scour a more open area than to hike way into the backwoods and have to find a micro under trees. Your idea reminds me of a cache I found just today (technically yesterday, in fact) that was a medium-sized jar embedded in the bottom of a solid mass of cement with just the lid sticking out. It was set upside-down, lid against the ground, right on the edge of a treeline in a public park, and seemed very unlikely to get a second glance from any passers-by. Experienced cachers, however, know to start kicking over old logs and big rocks once they've checked the more obvious hiding places.

I think you've found your answer but here's a couple of ideas for you. I once found a log that was cut in half and they put a hidden hinge in it and hollowed out the inside so a decon container would fit. The they took it out and found a downed tree very similar in size but a different type of tree. They cut a section of the downed tree out just enough for there log to fit. If you knew your tree type real well it stuck out like a sore thumb but if you didn't it made for a hard cache to find. I bet we looked for just over an hour and just about to give up and triped over it and noticed that, the section was put in. Made for one of those wow that's neat.

Another one that was just plain evil I found after a half mile hike one way was they had taken a log that had a knot that stuck out. He took the log and dried out the knot. Then he pull the knot out and cut in down in lenght and glued a container on the end so the piece from the knot was the same size. Then he drilled a hole and put in a nail to hold it in place. The hint was you're looking for a not. So I even had the idea of what I was looking for but I was out there for hours looking for it and again giving up and looking in the gps for another to find I just happened to look down an I saw a rusty nail. That doesn't belong. And yup that's it.

Both of these caches I've described where fun but yet frustrating. They where hard to find. I don't think I would like to go as far down as a nano size. But then again you have to remember that I like a bit larger containers so I can trade swag and trackables.

I think some of my favorite finds where things and containers that I never would have expectied. I kind of like the surprize. If you do put something that small you may want to note on your cache page what you looking for just to give someone a fighting chance. Keep in mind that a small log can easily be moved by a cacher and not put back in place. With them just thinking it's just a small long on the ground or in a pile of stick.

Good luck with your first cache. Sounds like you have some good ideas brewing. I would like to know how it turns out. I doubt I'll be anywhere near the area so I probably wouldn't get a chance to look for it.