60CSx or PN-20?

riktuin

Hi everybody,

To buy or not to buy, that’s the question! And which one: the 60CSx or the PN-20?

I know this question has been asked many times before and believe me, I have read all the threads. It’s just that sometimes the more I read the more confused I get in making a decision. I have come to the point that I have made a decision but then I read something at the last moment that makes me doubt again. I do need to make a decision in the next couple days because I want to start geocaching now that the weather is improving and if I decide to buy the PN-20 I want to qualify for the rebate that ends on March 25th. I want to spend betwee 300 and 400 dollars.

My main use for the GPS would be for geocaching (70%) and hiking (30%). I am a complete newbie when it comes to geocaching but I have been working in the GIS/GPS field for more then 10 years so I am not completely clueless. I am going to use the GPS purely for recreational purposes, not in combination with ArcGIS or ArcPad etc.

So this is what I have come up with as criteria to help me make my decision:

Price:

The PN-20 with the rebate going on would be $299 ($349 on Amazon), all maps and a 1GB SD card included,

The 60 CSx is $285 on Amazon. I would need at least the Garmin MapSource Topo U.S. 2008 ($77 on Amazon) and a micro SD card + reader (about $20 ?).

The PN-20 has the advantage here.

Ease of use:

It seems that the 60CSx is the winner here. I have seen some complaints about the PN-20 not being very use friendly and that the software needed to download the maps to the GPS can be slow and cumbersome. The 60CSx has a lot more users who can help with any problems. On the other hand, everybody is very positive about the Delorme customer service. Still, the 60 CSx seems to be the winner here, especially when it comes to geocaching.

Maps:

This would be important to me when it comes to hiking. The PN-20 seems to have the better maps in general and I like the ability to use the USGS 1:24,000 quad maps and aerial and raster maps in general. I have a Garmin car GPS so I am not going to use the GPS for car navigation. It seems that the PN-20 is the winner.

External programs:

There are a lot of programs out there that seem to be pretty useful when it comes to geocaching. Again, I am a complete newbie when it comes to geocaching so I don’t know much about these. It does seem that these programs (GSAK, Geobuddy, ExpertGPS) support the 60CSx but not the PN-20. Is this true??

Anyway the 60CSx is the winner in this category.

Map coverage:

I intend to use the GPS mainly in the USA but I do travel to Europe now and then. It would be fun to do some geocaching, especially in my native country the Netherlands. Garmin has maps for Europe, but Delorme doesn’t seem to have any for Europe!?

Functionality:

They both seem to be about the same. GPS reception is better for the 60CSx, but the PN-20 isn’t bad. The 60CSx has a barometric altimeter and electronic compass, the PN-20 doesn’t. I am not sure how big of a deal this is, but it does make the 60CSx a winner in this category or so it seems.

Are these conclusions fair? And if you were in my shoes, which one would you buy??

Thanks in advance,

Richard

North Carolina

Having gone through a similar search myself, I eventually opted for the Garmin unit. The reason was for it's superior auto routing capabilities. Having played around with a PN-20, I found it to be an easy to use and very accurate device. However, my need was more along the lines of 80-20 auto routing, and not geocaching or hiking. So I swapped the PN-20 for the 60Csx. I'm happy with my choice. I would, however, say that the Delorme topos are far superior to Garmin's. So for your application, the best choice is the PN-20, especially with current "special" pricing.

The trouble with making decisions based on the software is that with the PN-20, it's being constantly upgraded. The auto-routing capabilities that blackpine mentions just changed, big time, with the 1.4 version. DeLorme's people actually stalk the forums and participate, listen and ACT on what they hear. So every few months we get a new gps! It's a solid unit, the best customer support I have ever seen anywhere, and the maps? Well, they got the maps, baby. Nothing else is close. With aeiral imagery, color, b/w, sat, nav charts, USGS and any other map you want with the xmap product. There really is no comparison. Why I aggravated myself over this for months is beyond me. Fear of making the wrong choice I suppose....but DeLorme is not the wrong choice.

Thanks everybody for all the great input!

I just ordered the PN-20 and it should arrive on Wednesday. In the end the quality of the maps and the ability to import aerials etc. was the deciding factor. The 'slow' redraw of the maps is a possibe concern but I'll just have to see that for myself.

I have also become intrigued by the XMap GIS software. Professionally I only have experience with ESRI and MapInfo but I'll definitely have a look.

Anyway, thanks again, and I'll let you all know what I think about the PN-20 after I have taken it out in the field.

Richard