Hitchhikers, and multiple cache logs, is this OK?

EvilTwin1974

OK i went out yesterday and found my first cache, which I'm quite happy about. (I even returned today and added 3 larger sillica gel packs as the cache was a bit wet)

I have however taken 2 hitchhikers, and will be off to foreign parts next week which should up the miles on them. My problem is I'm a bit impatient, and want to go looking for a couple more caches before I go, so....

Can I take them along to the other caches, log them in, log them out again and move on to the next cache, so they clock up a few extra miles (one of them is in a race with its twin, so giving it a few extra miles would help it along its way) or is it generally accepted that you pick them up, and drop them off at your next location, with no caches inbetween. (ie a single leg on its journey with you)

Your primary goal with travel bugs and geocoins is to help them with their goal. Is the race to one particular place or just to gain the most miles? If the goal is a particular cache, then make sure you are doing that when you take it to foreign parts. If the goal is just to travel, then I see nothing wrong with your proposal. Otherwise, try to help the traveler along.

What you are suggesting is totally acceptable. In fact, I know a geocacher that carries his own trackable and logs it in(and out) of every cache he finds. It's all just for fun.

If you are going to bounce it in a bunch of caches in one day, though, I'd send the owner a message explaining what you are doing. Remember, for every cache you log, the owner will get two emails. If you log 50 caches in one day, that's a lot of emails for the owner to wade through.

We have never yet put a trackable into the very next cache from that which we found it in. I never even considered that as an option!!!! Apart from the fact that it may not fit in the next cache, it would sometimes result in a rather pointless move of only a few hundred metres or a kilometre at most, in the majority of areas we've cached in thus far.

We take them home with us to our province, and then find them a new cache on our next trip out of the area. I should get into the habit of dropping them into our own nearest cache and picking them up again, so that the miles they have travelled with us are more accurately reflected. But I would not do that with more than one cache and I'd only do it to record for the owner that they had actually been to our province.

Annie

I own a tb hotel in Central Michigan, which I constantly put new travel bugs into the hotel. After a while, if a tb hasn't been taken out, I will log it out and place it into another cache. Getting ten e-mails from the same geocacher and travel bug is not fun to get, but a few bug movements isn't that bad. Maybe they'll enjoy it!

I've seen people take my TBs on a cache to cache journey for a few days. It didn't bother me, but I found it a bit silly.

If in doubt ask the owner if its OK with him.

I took several TBs/Coins on a cache to cache journey that went from Ithaca, NY, to Johannesburg, South Africa, to Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe, and back to Ithaca, NY, for a total of 16,635 miles for each trackable item.

The TB goals for at least one of them didn't include international travel but the owners were quite happy that I took them on the trip.