Colorado: Great Potential but!

YBLee

I've had the Colorado 400t for about two weeks now and believe it has tremendous potential but is not at the maturity level of the 60CSx as of version 2.4. I love the Geocaching data in the GPS but find a lot of the functionality much less intuitive and glitchy. It will no doubt find a cache and allow you to log its find. But I have had a lot of trouble getting new caches in and for some odd reason it would only take 681 of my 976 waypoints and did not give me any indication why after several tries. The interface takes a little getting used to but I believe I have what can be had understood and will just have to wait until it is out of beta. I purchased it from REI and am very glad I did, not only because of the return policy but because of the other benefits a membership offers. When the time comes I will surely be making the purchase from REI again. Until then, the 60CSx is a mature, reliable GPS'r with a very intuitive and easy to learn interface.

Edited by YBLee

I've had the Colorado 400t for about two weeks now and believe it has tremendous potential but is not at the maturity level of the 60CSx as of version 2.4. I love the Geocaching data in the GPS but find a lot of the functionality much less intuitive and glitchy. It will no doubt find a cache and allow you to log its find. But I have had a lot of trouble getting new caches in and for some odd reason it would only take 681 of my 976 waypoints and did not give me any indication why after several tries. The interface takes a little getting used to but I believe I have what can be had understood and will just have to wait until it is out of beta. I purchased it from REI and am very glad I did, not only because of the return policy but because of the other benefits a membership offers. When the time comes I will surely be making the purchase from REI again. Until then, the 60CSx is a mature, reliable GPS'r with a very intuitive and easy to learn interface.

I have had mine over a week and have not lost any caches. My only complaint are having to turn the backlight up everytime on turn it on and every once in a while it hangs on start up, but it only seems to be after I have had it connected to the computer. To be fair, this is my first Garmin as I had been a loyal Magellan customer so maybe not having the 60CSx to compare it to is a little unfair. I am not sure what took me so long to switch?? I am very happy with it!!

My experience has been somewhat more positive. I am coming from a 60CS - so except for the more sensitive receiver and larger map memory identical to the 60CSX. The main reason for getting one right away was that my palm 515 died two weeks ago and instead of getting a new palm that I use 95% for caching only I decided to try the Colorado...

I just finished my first longer cache run with the Colorado and am more happy than not - the 60CS is now retired (I took it with me just in case) to the back of my closet.

Biggest advantages:

Cache descriptions right there (can't beat the simplicity of that)

Better Display

Better Receiver (probably a mute point compared to the 60CSX)

Scroll Wheel (I am surprised to say that as during 'dry' testing I didn't like it much - but being out in 25F with gloves on it is so much more easy to use than the buttons on the 60CS I am really happy)

Disadvantages:

Magnetic Compass still sucks (I have mine turned off)

Mounting mechanism on 60CS was much better - I used the button with the carabiner on my pack for quick release and the hand loop for a neck lanyard... Can't do that on the Colorado

Display not as bright as 60CSX

Battery Life (not that important, when I am out for 6+ hours I carry 1/2 gallon or more water with me so an extra set of rechargeables doesn't make a difference).

I didn't have a single crash so far - nor any problems loading Caches - that probably helps with the positive image I have so far... Otherwise I would continue to carry my 60CS as backup...

I think the learning curve was low (lower than I expected) - but I work with new technologies all day long so don't take that as an absolute value...

This is my opinion - I realize everyone's is different so I fully understand your point...

I've had the Colorado 400t for about two weeks now and believe it has tremendous potential but is not at the maturity level of the 60CSx as of version 2.4.

Well ... yeah ...? I mean the Colorado has been out, what, not even two months and the 60CSx, what, 3 years? New design, new firmware, what do you expect, of course it's not as mature?

Some people like the comfort factor of mature products, others like the excitement of bleeding-edge ... not a big deal.

I bought the 60CSx the day that it was available in Canada. It's a great unit and I love it. It had problems at first as well ( didn't work with GSAK, nRoute, etc. ) it was fun growing with it. However, for me, as for most early adopters, the fun/excitement/frustration/anger/anticipation of growing with a new GPSr is definitely fun and interesting, entirely worth it.

So yes, go with what makes you comfortable, you'll be happier.

Edited by nicolo

Thx for the feedback guys. I hope you realize that I am not bashing the instrument by any means but as an early adopter myself, I can only handle a couple at a time. I'm still working with the DeLorme PN-20 which also has great potential. I have been using Garmin products for many years and have a number of them so my support for the company is without question. I would have kept the Colorado but I just don't need it - yet!

The best of luck and enjoy the ride to the top!!

I have had mine over a week and have not lost any caches. My only complaint are having to turn the backlight up everytime on turn it on and every once in a while it hangs on start up, but it only seems to be after I have had it connected to the computer. To be fair, this is my first Garmin as I had been a loyal Magellan customer so maybe not having the 60CSx to compare it to is a little unfair. I am not sure what took me so long to switch?? I am very happy with it!!

I agree that the Colorado is still not 'refined'. Mine hangs up too from time to time. I would like the backlight to be more simple.

Anyway, I have my Csx too and using Colorado for now for Geocaching only until there is a decent upgrade of firmware.

How do you define "simple" backlight?

'Simple' will be just on click of a button like the Csr.

I just wish it would save the setting like Magellans save the contrast.

My old Legend saved my contrast setting too. Ideally the Colorado should save my backlight brightness setting since I always have it set the same. It is able to save your backlight timeout settings for each profile which is nice.

In True LOE style, he states: Csr? Is this a new GPS unit? I have a GPSmap 60CSx. Interested to know!

On topic: I can't disagree more. All the HAVE TO HAVEs of the CSx are there and then some. Great antenna, great unit software (that which chews the data from the satellites), rock steady compass (something the CSx DOES NOT HAVE), and sophisticated display screens with ample backlighting (most here are still riding the learning curve on this) not to mention features the CSx will NEVER have.

Not ready for prime time? I beg to differ. I will echo the sentiments of having a bleeding edge instrument. It bleeds, heals itself, and keep on ticking.

I am SO GLAD to see the OP having returned his unit. The new Colorado is not for him! I'm glad he saw this and did the right thing. As for me, I'm livin' on the edge bay-bee!

My old Legend saved my contrast setting too. Ideally the Colorado should save my backlight brightness setting since I always have it set the same. It is able to save your backlight timeout settings for each profile which is nice.

A question: Have ANY OF YOU either called Garmin and suggested this to a live customer support tech OR written a suggestion to the Contact Us portion of the Garmin web site? (I don't need a response here. If you have, pat yourself on the back. If you haven't ... where's my cell phone ... 1.800.800.1020)

A question: Have ANY OF YOU either called Garmin and suggested this to a live customer support tech OR written a suggestion to the Contact Us portion of the Garmin web site? (I don't need a response here. If you have, pat yourself on the back. If you haven't ... where's my cell phone ... 1.800.800.1020)

I presume that GARMIN will be looking into these Forums and have a feedback on the usability of the Colorado.

Regarding the brightness of the Colorado, it is good for the Colorado to have a saved brightness feature so that one do not have to increase the brightness when switching on the GPS.

I hope that by time, GARMIN will update and refine the firmware similar to the development of GPSMAP60Csx.

We all have to be a bit patient.

Yes. It was on my laundry list of things I reported to the early on. I never received a response for that particular issue.

On the Colorado - you click a button an scroll the Wheel to adjust.

On the 60 you click a button and use the rocker to adjust.

....or am I missing something?

The 60CSx allows you to jump to maximum intensity, or half intensity, by just using the power button. Two clicks, it and it goes from Off to Maximum.

Yep the Colorado may down the road be a great unit but for now it's just not impressive.

The fact the display visibility is very poor compared to older units is a huge problem, a gps is of no use if you can't see it. Worse yet the backlight is not bright enough to make a difference outside when you can't see the screen unless it's very dark out. I don't care how good a .jpg looks on it or how big the screen is when I can't see it outside.

Runtime is poor, but acceptable with intermittent backlight use and hopefully will improve with future firmware changes.

You cannot reverse a track......this is like the most basic and simple function every gps should have. You should be able to hike into a location, and have the unit navigate you back out. The colorado does not do this effectively, you can reverse your current track but you cannot reverse any saved tracks. This means if you want to do an out and back hiking trail, you have to save two tracks to the unit, one for each way. I have to believe garmin will address this one, but who knows. I do like that you can change the start and end point when saving a track though, that is nice.

You also cannot average a waypoint, this is an important feature for anyone using their GPS that wants more accurate waypoints.

Garmin continues to drop the ball on the data cards, kneecapping it's users with a limit of 20 tracks, 50 routes and 1000 waypoints......not to mention the colorado cannot save tracks to the data card now. This is just unacceptable esp. with no trackback feature this now means you can get at most 9 out and back trails saved to the unit. You guys think you need more than 1000 cache's well for those of us that bike and hike think of being limited to only 20 or 50 of them.

No highway type navigation page, this was ideal for following tracks or routes on the bike or hiking. The auto nav page is really nice, but trying to use the compass page to follow a track/route or using the map is just not nearly as nice as the highway page. On the plus side the auto navigation view is very nice in the car.

The compass blows, other companies can get 3rd axis compasses to work, I have to believe garmin could if they wanted to. As it is the compass is best turned off.

A nitpick the unit does not sit well on a table, and it slides around on inclined surfaces. It sits in the hand very well but since the back is hard plastic with no rubber and rounded, it does not lay anyway well.

Little functionality with the HR or Cadence units, and it does not appear to use the speed sensor at all so you can't use it for indoor training. Also currently it seems no software supports reading of the HR or Cadence info from the .gpx files. This will probably change with time when garmin rolls motionbased into connect. Also the unit does not allow for any real cycling/hiking data. You get cadence and HR and that's it, you get no zones, no averages, no min/max etc. Not nearly enough for anyone serious about training.

No multiple data pages, we can now access like 40-50 different data types on the trip page, but you can see at most 8 at a time. They should allow multiple user customized trip pages so you can get more data at a glance. This would be easy to do and it's been requested for years of them.

You cannot power the unit from the usb cable included. So you have go buy another USB cable to do that. You would think they could program it so that it could use both as a connected to computer and also as a gps powered from the usb. I suppose it makes them more money cause they can sell you extra cables and also their special auto charger, since any normal mini-usb charging cable won't work.

Of all those if they fixed 3 things I'd be happy, and there's no way they can.

The Visibility.....this is tops, if I can't see it outside, what is the point of having it

The trackback, if it can't navigate back to where I started hiking, again no point in taking it with.

The waypoint averaging, for field work being able to average an accurate waypoint is essential.

The last two they can fix, the first one I don't think so.

All I can say is I hope the edge 705 is visible outside or I won't be buying one of those either.

Ya know, the backlight thang is annoying, but you get used to it real fast. I mean, how hard is it to press the power button and pull the rocker a few clicks. I just do it automatically now when I power up. Once this is part of your start up, it doesn't bother you any more (well, it doesn't bother me).

Ya know, the backlight thang is annoying, but you get used to it real fast. I mean, how hard is it to press the power button and pull the rocker a few clicks. I just do it automatically now when I power up. Once this is part of your start up, it doesn't bother you any more (well, it doesn't bother me).

It is certainly not a deal breaker. I love the unit and am impressed by it. However, as I stated before, I have only owned Magellan and have that to really compare it to (I don't count my son's Garmin Geko). Perhaps this is an incorrect observation, but I think the majority of Colorado users that dislike it are previous Garmin 60xxx owners and might have something better to compare it to other than a Magellan.

Ya Know, from my brief time reading these forums, it appears that the standard for today's computer chip controlled electronics manufacture is to sell to the public regardless if they actually deliver on performance. And then when the public informs them the product develops a problem they deploy a firmware or software fix, standard operation . But in all reality that's just bad manufacturing. If you buy a car that's spec'd to give 35mpg and you get 20mpg you going to keep it, Oh! Sure their are workarounds just carry a few jugs of fuel in the car, right, As some Waconians might suggest <_< . The whole Colorado enchilada is hilarious, from just what can be read on this forum, let alone other forums. You guys have spent some hard earned cash for something that is just not up to the what it is being marketed as. Forget the firmware/software updates the screen is a major issue quit making excuses, When did an outdoor tool such as GPS necessitate artificial lighting when you got the biggest light in the Universe overhead :P . Although I guess if money, really was easy for me than I guess i wouldn't mind giving it away either. Bottom line is I like Garmin , I like their products but this whole Colorado is just killing me. I really enjoy the threads and I do feel y'alls pain

toddm, you pretty much nailed my feelings. As consumers we owe it to each other to let manufactures know we are not taking their stuff even if a few of us living on edge are dazzled out of our minds.

Geroge, how'd that go {Flame off} ;)

Edited by texbaz
You guys have spent some hard earned cash for something that is just not up to the what it is being marketed as. Forget the firmware/software updates the screen is a major issue quit making excuses, When did an outdoor tool such as GPS necessitate artificial lighting when you got the biggest light in the Universe overhead :laughing:

I've been very happy with my purchase. The fact that it doesn't remember the backlighting doesn't bother me. When I'm outdoors, I don't have the backlighting on anyway, and I can see the screen just fine. I don't know if it is user error, or something else (like polarized sunglasses), but I have no complaints about the screen at all. I personally think it's worth the money as it stands right now. If you don't, then don't buy it (or return it, if you did buy it). If they were to leave us at the current firmware and not have any future updates, I'd still be happy with it. The things it does that other GPS units don't do is the reason I bought it. I think I got my money's worth.

Thank you toddm for such a fact filled post.

I've had mine for a few weeks and I just don't have enough time to list "all" of its shortcomings.

The ones that bother me the most are:

The display is dark and unusable outdoors in MOST lighting conditions. When plugged into a power source the display is BRIGHT and great. When using batteries you CANNOT achieve the same brightness as they have purposely limited brightness while on battery power. Why???

The tracks problem is MAJOR. In addition, to not being able to track back, it can only display a single track on the display at one time. The 60CSx could display all 20 tracks simultaneously.

I have several tracks crisscrossing a mountainous region and need at least 2 or 3 tracks displayed simultaneously for quick reference. Having only 1 track displayed would be tantamount to having only 1 road on the display while driving across the city in your car!

I mount mine on my snowmobile and travel through forests while I rely on the GPS to stay on track. Unlike hiking, the snow conditions change from week to week and year to year so you cannot stay exactly on a trail. Sometimes you need to deviate and still be able to glance down at the GPS to find your way back to a known track. With the Colorado I have to stop, and risk getting stuck, to press a key to get the backlight on so I can see the display! No such problem with the 60CSx.

Plus, there is NO way to manage tracks saved on the unit. For example, you cannot delete a saved track.

The chipset is inferior to the one used in the 60CSx in that it takes MUCH longer to get a lock and can be off by several hundred, if not thousand feet, while walking in the city or in deep forest. To prove this I ran both the Colorado 400T and the 60CSx side by side on several walks, hikes, and rides. Did they save a few bucks by using their own, and inferior, chipset?

Besides the fact that it has a chipset that is easily confused by multi-path interference, it has a display that cannot be viewed, it goes through new batteries an order of magnitude faster than previous models, it cannot manage saved tracks or display more than one on the screen, cannot average waypoints, shall I continue????? Well, besides all of that, they have something!

Virtually worthless in my opinion. Unfortunately, I bought mine with many non-returnable accessories, maps, and a restocking fee. Looks like I bought into a pile of garbage.

Ya Know, from my brief time reading these forums, it appears that the standard for today's computer chip controlled electronics manufacture is to sell to the public regardless if they actually deliver on performance. And then when the public informs them the product develops a problem they deploy a firmware or software fix, standard operation . But in all reality that's just bad manufacturing. If you buy a car that's spec'd to give 35mpg and you get 20mpg you going to keep it, Oh! Sure their are workarounds just carry a few jugs of fuel in the car, right, As some Waconians might suggest :o . The whole Colorado enchilada is hilarious, from just what can be read on this forum, let alone other forums. You guys have spent some hard earned cash for something that is just not up to the what it is being marketed as. Forget the firmware/software updates the screen is a major issue quit making excuses, When did an outdoor tool such as GPS necessitate artificial lighting when you got the biggest light in the Universe overhead :laughing: . Although I guess if money, really was easy for me than I guess i wouldn't mind giving it away either. Bottom line is I like Garmin , I like their products but this whole Colorado is just killing me. I really enjoy the threads and I do feel y'alls pain

toddm, you pretty much nailed my feelings. As consumers we owe it to each other to let manufactures know we are not taking their stuff even if a few of us living on edge are dazzled out of our minds.

Geroge, how'd that go {Flame off} :D

For the FIRST TIME today, I had trouble seeing my Garmin Colorado 400t's screen outdoors. IT WAS TOO BRIGHT! Unlike so many others here, I have no issue with the visiblity of the screen outdoors.

I am convinced that GARMIN needs to have two screen settings: One for those who can see, and One for the visually impared.

The reason you don't see the effect of the backlight during the day (DOH) is that its not needed. If you have the backlight on and set at 100% and you don't see a difference, that should tell the average person something. I guess I ASSume too much!

I find it tiring how so many in the forum spend time trashing the product instead of taking the time and equivalent effort to improve the product.

I used to say this on the Central Texas Forums, but now I'm here saying it: I'm ashamed. (And not about the performance of this unit.)

Yes, in excellent conditions with plenty of direct light you can see it. Also, with the unit plugged into an outlet you can see it because the backlight is set to a very high level which is NOT achievable while under battery power. (Try it).

Now, while you are in a forest with cloud cover (i.e., poor lighting) it is IMPOSSIBLE to read the display unless you activate the backlight and have it up pretty high. Which of course assumes you have a fresh set of batteries in the thing or else the backlight will be either severely reduced or disabled altogether.

Remember, same situation, same lighting, side by side the 60CSx is possible to read while the Colorado is NOT. By the way I have perfect vision, both daytime and nighttime.

Since it is NOT only me saying this inside this forum, but also on blogs, reviews, and other forums it is most definitely a problem.

And, while pressing a button isn't a problem for one taking a hike it isn't such an easy thing while operating a motor vehicle. Albeit I am traveling no more than 3-10mph when reading the display, if I were to let off the throttle to activate the backlight I would most definitely get stuck in the snow and then would need to spend the next 20 minutes with a shovel digging myself out. Again, 60CSx no problem after 2 years of experience. With the Colorado it is a problem right out of the box on the first ride.

Of course, "maybe" my unit has a faulty display and yours doesn't? I do know that my batteries only last 2 hours without even touching a key to activate the backlight even 1 time. And that is 2 hours plus or minus a few minutes. Not 2 hours and 20 minutes, and not 1 hour and 45 minutes. Brand new set of batteries. So, even if the backlight were to work as expected where would I store all of the batteries to during a trip?

By the way, with my 60CSx I leave the backlight on for the longest setting and can ride for a long period of time before having to reactivate it. With this POS it will tell me that it has disabled the backlight when there are still 2 bars of battery left? So, on mine I only get about 1 hour of time to use the backlight and even so it isn't that bright.

I'm going to send mine back for a replacement and if things improve then we'll chalk it up to a bad unit. That just means that they don't test their stuff before they send it out which isn't a good thing either.

I tested my unit as soon as I received it. Put the batteries in (well used but fully charged Nimh batteries) and turned the backlight on full. They certainly lasted more than 2 hours. I would say after 6 I still had a couple bars left. I'll see how it acts when I get more of a chance to have it in the field. I will use it primarily for geocaching so even if I have to put fresh batteries in it every so often; it beats having the PDA with me and hoping that its battery is good to go and I don't ruin it some how.

I tested my unit as soon as I received it. Put the batteries in (well used but fully charged Nimh batteries) and turned the backlight on full. They certainly lasted more than 2 hours. I would say after 6 I still had a couple bars left. I'll see how it acts when I get more of a chance to have it in the field. I will use it primarily for geocaching so even if I have to put fresh batteries in it every so often; it beats having the PDA with me and hoping that its battery is good to go and I don't ruin it some how.

Yeah, how tough is it to carry two batteries in your pocket? My Colorado with fresh batteries last 10+ hours. Not with light on all the time, true, but I'm sure that if you set the unit for lights always on, firmware updated, and a whole big/heavy two spare batteries in your pocket you can last for your daily requirements. I'm sure, anyway, that it would with my unit ( my POS is working great and I have no problems with it as a geocaching unit). If you are only getting two hours of "life" with your batteries and have updated firmware, take it in for replacement as you have a bad unit.

btw, the "you" comments weren't directed at E&S, it was a general "you".

Edited by nicolo

Ya Know, from my brief time reading these forums, it appears that the standard for today's computer chip controlled electronics manufacture is to sell to the public regardless if they actually deliver on performance. And then when the public informs them the product develops a problem they deploy a firmware or software fix, standard operation . But in all reality that's just bad manufacturing. If you buy a car that's spec'd to give 35mpg and you get 20mpg you going to keep it, Oh! Sure their are workarounds just carry a few jugs of fuel in the car, right, As some Waconians might suggest :) . The whole Colorado enchilada is hilarious, from just what can be read on this forum, let alone other forums. You guys have spent some hard earned cash for something that is just not up to the what it is being marketed as. Forget the firmware/software updates the screen is a major issue quit making excuses, When did an outdoor tool such as GPS necessitate artificial lighting when you got the biggest light in the Universe overhead :D . Although I guess if money, really was easy for me than I guess i wouldn't mind giving it away either. Bottom line is I like Garmin , I like their products but this whole Colorado is just killing me. I really enjoy the threads and I do feel y'alls pain

Geroge, how'd that go {Flame off} :D

For the FIRST TIME today, I had trouble seeing my Garmin Colorado 400t's screen outdoors. IT WAS TOO BRIGHT! Unlike so many others here, I have no issue with the visiblity of the screen outdoors.

I am convinced that GARMIN needs to have two screen settings: One for those who can see, and One for the visually impared.

The reason you don't see the effect of the backlight during the day (DOH) is that its not needed. If you have the backlight on and set at 100% and you don't see a difference, that should tell the average person something. I guess I ASSume too much!

I find it tiring how so many in the forum spend time trashing the product instead of taking the time and equivalent effort to improve the product.

I used to say this on the Central Texas Forums, but now I'm here saying it: I'm ashamed. (And not about the performance of this unit.)

Yes, when you're out in the sunshine you don't need the backlighting. What happens when you walk under a tree? Now you're in the shade, you need the backlighting. Ok, you're not under the tree anymore, do you turn it off again? What if you're walking in a forest where you keep going from sunshine to shade continuously? Better to keep the backlight on, even in the sunny spots, as it is a lot less hassle.

That said, the backlight is not as good as the one on the Magellan eXplorist 500. (Can't compare it to my old B/W Legend as that's a completely different style of display)

And, while pressing a button isn't a problem for one taking a hike it isn't such an easy thing while operating a motor vehicle. Albeit I am traveling no more than 3-10mph when reading the display, if I were to let off the throttle to activate the backlight I would most definitely get stuck in the snow and then would need to spend the next 20 minutes with a shovel digging myself out. Again, 60CSx no problem after 2 years of experience. With the Colorado it is a problem right out of the box on the first ride.

Hmmmm . . . A snowmobile, right? Got 12volts? Get an automotive power cord and have FULL BRIGHT,

FULL TIME, problem solved!

Norm

Hmmmm . . . A snowmobile, right? Got 12volts? Get an automotive power cord and have FULL BRIGHT,

FULL TIME, problem solved!

Norm

Unfortunately, the model I ride has an unregulated AC power source without a battery. The simple solution is to add a rectifier and regulator but a previous attempt for my 60CS wasn't successful without adding a battery because the voltage dropped near idle and the unit keeps telling me that it lost power and this popup blocks the screen.

There is nowhere good to mount a battery and when left outside in sub-freezing temperatures those small batteries just die, in a permanent way, so quickly...

It is all just a real pain to deal with when the GPS itself should run for 6-7 hours on its own batteries including using the backlight for 30-40 minutes during this period. The 60CSx easily exceeds these requirements so I would expect the Colorado to do the same. I've asked for a replacement unit and then we'll see how the batteries and backlight work on it.