Utah Topo mapset is done

The first revision for Utah has been completed.

The mapset is created from freely available GIS data and has the following data layers:

- Interstates, highways, railroads, county, local and forest roads

- High resolution water data (lakes, rivers and streams)

- Land use, metro areas

- Elevation contours (40ft intervals)

- Points of interest (summits, mines, falls, dams, cemeteries, towers, populated places, etc.)

http://www.miscjunk.org/mj/mp_uttopo.html

Thank you - and way cool. I've been kickin' it around a little bit and I like it lots. Plotted a couple of waypoints and found them to be spot on. I'm going to Utah next month and will get good use from it.

I know that it saved lots of time and file sizes, but I think I kinda miss the intermittant streams, though. They are significant points of reference in the desert. But that's looking at the glass as half empty...

Thanks, again...

Thank you - and way cool. I've been kickin' it around a little bit and I like it lots. Plotted a couple of waypoints and found them to be spot on. I'm going to Utah next month and will get good use from it.

Hi wingnut182,

Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad to hear you like the maps. I'll be doing some more testing with the NHD data to see what works/doesn't work...

Thanks,

Indy,

I think that the work that you are doing is awesome and very worthy of donations by all who use them.

One comment that I have, I have a coordinate for the NE corner of Utah and I can see that your UT topo is cut just south of the actual state line, but in this corner your wyoming overlaps enough to show the topo. Is there a way to put in at least the state line boundaries and county lines would be even better? Whether you do or not, I think these are great.

Thanks for your work and I look forward to your next state,

CallawayMT

One comment that I have, I have a coordinate for the NE corner of Utah and I can see that your UT topo is cut just south of the actual state line, but in this corner your wyoming overlaps enough to show the topo. Is there a way to put in at least the state line boundaries and county lines would be even better? Whether you do or not, I think these are great.
Hi CallawayMT,

Thank you for the feedback. Adding state boundaries is on my to do list and I hope to get it done during the next revision for each.

Thanks,

Possible Stupid Question Warning!!

Up until last week I have been using an IPAQ with a Navman jacket and OziCe as mapping software.

Now I have a Colorado 400T. Since it has the topo 2008 preloaded would these maps offer me something I don't already have with the 400T?

Up until last week I have been using an IPAQ with a Navman jacket and OziCe as mapping software.

Now I have a Colorado 400T. Since it has the topo 2008 preloaded would these maps offer me something I don't already have with the 400T?

24K scale and 40ft contours vesus Topo 2008 which is about 100K and 150ft contours in Northwest...

Major difference in resolution, especially if hiking, mtn biking, and geo-caching.

The 24K scale matches detail found on the the "best" USGS 7.5 minute quad paper maps.

24K scale and 40ft contours vesus Topo 2008 which is about 100K and 150ft contours in Northwest...

Major difference in resolution, especially if hiking, mtn biking, and geo-caching.

The 24K scale matches detail found on the the "best" USGS 7.5 minute quad paper maps.

Here is an example of the difference between the 100k topo 2008 and the 24k map.

24k Arizona (work in progress):

payson_quad_sample.jpg

100k Arizona (Garmin):

payson_garmin_sample.jpg

The first revision for Utah has been completed.

A big thank you! I was contemplating doing this myself, but just ended up doing smaller sections of UT that I frequent instead. One of the problems I had was getting all of the correct stream data. I had to download pretty much the entire watershed for a couple of areas just to get the streams that should be there as streams. One area, for example, is a narrow canyon that includes Jacob Hamblin Arch. On the Topo2008 and NP West, a stream is shown. Yours didn't pick up the stream, which is a pretty important feature for those of us who rely on water for backpacking. It's much lighter to filter water as you go than to pack in 8 or 9 liters. I don't know enough about getting the stream/water data to offer any solid input, as everything I created has been by following instructions posted elsewhere on creating one's own maps. I'm guessing the NHD database is to blame, if that is where you are getting all your hydro info from. There are so many classifications to choose from...

Cartography was my emphasis as both an undergrad & grad student, but that was sooo long ago (at least to me), and none of these great tools existed. I'm sure if I spent more time messing around with things I could get a better understanding of everything, but I'm only plan on doing this sporadically whenever I need more detail in a map. I really appreciate the map & all the effort you are taking to make them, so keep up the good work. I look forward to the CA map.

Hi nvsteve,

Thank you for the feedback and the kind words.

One area, for example, is a narrow canyon that includes Jacob Hamblin Arch. On the Topo2008 and NP West, a stream is shown. Yours didn't pick up the stream, which is a pretty important feature for those of us who rely on water for backpacking. It's much lighter to filter water as you go than to pack in 8 or 9 liters. I don't know enough about getting the stream/water data to offer any solid input, as everything I created has been by following instructions posted elsewhere on creating one's own maps. I'm guessing the NHD database is to blame, if that is where you are getting all your hydro info from. There are so many classifications to choose from...

I went back to the source data and was able to find the stream you referred to. It was classified as not major/intermittent and because of a concern for performance I did not include that subset of streams in the first release. During the next revisions of CO & WY I'm going to be doing some testing/fine tuning of the zoom/levels and will also perform some tests with all of the stream data included. If that goes well than the plan would be to add those minor streams to the next revision of each state...

Thanks again,

Nice work IndyJpr,

Utah has some good transportation data. Did you notice that most of the 4-wheel drive trails in the Moab area are labeled? Hope to have a chance to check some of those out next month.

Hi snowfleurys,

Thank you for the kind words.

I did notice that a lot of the trails appeared to be in there but I never did get around to comparing them with some old tracklogs from years past. Hopefully next spring I'll be able to check them out first hand! :)