Best beginner cache in NJ?

Phil&Phil2008

Although it looks small on the map, New Jersey is a big state with lots of caches.

FWIW, I don't think a micro is a good beginners or first cache. Fortunately, there are lots of good first caches in the state, of course, you can find them anywhere from Cape May to High Point.

What is your zip code?

Maybe we can give you some suggestions near your home.

Happens to be my zip as well. There are lots of caches around here. My local hides are quite easy - On Allamuchy Pond, Instant Access and Peter Parker which is a micro (now that's self-promotion!) If you want to do a few and like hiking, there are a bunch in Allamuchy State Park. A couple access points on Waterloo Valley Road will get you close to a bunch. You can start with this one You've Been Found and head up the rail trail for a few more finds. There is quite a variety of hides in the 5-6 caches along the way. These can also be done on a bike (mountain or hybrid) if you are interested.

Good Luck!

-CK

I plugged that zip in and saw a lot of good caches. I'd say any regular sized cache with a difficulty of 2 or lower is a good beginner's cache.

Terrain rating is a matter of your outdoor experience and physical shape. Nearly anything 3 stars and above in northern NJ, you can expect to be physically challenging.