TravelBugs and Coins?

The Mad MG's

A very good friend introduced us to geocaching a few weeks back and its become a popular family activity, but I'd like to know more about the etiquette of picking up coins and travelbugs before going further.

We've had our failures and a couple of successes in finding caches, but I just sign TNLNSL cause I feel I'm intruding. IYSWIM.

The kids have swapped little toys and I can travel over our area a good deal, so just asking whats done and whats wrong?

The Mad MG's

Very briefly, Travel Bugs and Geocoins belong to other geocachers and travel about from cache to cache. They each have their own home page with details of their travels. Some of them have specific missions, some don't and just want to travel randomly.

Important point - TBs and Geocoins are NOT swap items:

You don't have to leave a swap item if you take a TB or geocoin from a cache (although the cache owner will be happy if you do :lol: ) You can just take them to move them onwards.

Similarly, if you take a swap item from a cache, it's not enough just to leave a TB or geocoin in its place.

The link below to the Travel Bug forum will give you more details -

How to log Geocoins and Travel Bugs.

MrsB <_<

A very good friend introduced us to geocaching a few weeks back and its become a popular family activity, but I'd like to know more about the etiquette of picking up coins and travelbugs before going further.

We've had our failures and a couple of successes in finding caches, but I just sign TNLNSL cause I feel I'm intruding. IYSWIM.

The kids have swapped little toys and I can travel over our area a good deal, so just asking whats done and whats wrong?

The Mad MG's

Dont feel you are intruding, we place caches to be found, <_< a lot of folks dont like TNLNSL and prefer a short note and maybe a longer write up on the cache page, if possible.

A couple of quick basics

TBs/coins are NOT swaps, do not leave a TB/coin and take a swap, take a TB/coin and leave a swap or just take/leave a TB

If you take a small toy for the kids then leave something of equal or higher value, this is good for the kids to learn the value of things and to make equal/higher swaps.

You will learn as you go along.

Just have fun, we all made mistakes to start with, dont worry about it. :lol:

Mandy :cry:

Sorry Lucinda we must have been typing at the same time and we said almost exactly the same thing :lol:

Edited by Us 4 and Jess

Thanks for the info and advice, greatly appreciated.

I will order a few TB and coins for travel soon, I was just unsure.

I know it sounds silly about intruding when anyone can see the info on the here, I just didn't want to tread on anyones toes.:lol:

P.S. The dog (Busta) never been so well walked <_<

Edited by The Mad MG's

The fun of TBs and Geocoins is that once you've released them into the Wild World of Caches they're on their own and you can only hope that they meet "good" cachers who will look after them and help them on their way. If you release your own TBs make sure that they're not items of any great value because some do get taken or go M.I.A. If you want to give them a special "mission" it's a good idea to include details of that either by a label attached to the TB, or on a sheet in a small plastic bag enclosing it.

Geocoins have the added attraction of giving you a new icon on your profile list if you log them. Some people buy them to keep in their own private collections which they take along to Geocaching Events for others to enjoy and log. Others are happy to take the risk of releasing them into caches to travel - Personally, I think it's much more fun to find them in caches but some do get stolen :anibad: by "bad" cachers. Some owners drill their geocoins before releasing them in the hope that this minor defacing will discourage the geocoin thief.

MrsB :D

If your able to make it why not attend Mr & Mrs Santa TB & Geocoin Swap Event & Giveaway on the Great Orme Llandudno :D . You never know you might go home with a shiny Unregistered Geocoin, especially as the No's going into Santas sack thanks to generous offers from UKGeocachers and HazelS.

Santas senior elf has been hinting that the Sack might contain at least 5 Unregistered Geocoins as well as the 2 Unregisterd TB Tags :D:D of and some small hitch hikers donated by scorpionqueen :D

Well I think I've managed to mention everyone now :D:D I've even managed to persuade one of the UK Reviewers to attend :D . Who will happy I know to answer any questions you have :anibad:

edited for spelling as it's well known MP can't spell :D Deci :D

Edited by Deceangi
I'd like to know more about the etiquette of picking up coins and travelbugs before going further.

Remove from any cache you find one - regardless of its mission

Hang on to it for a few months

Place in any cache within 30 miles of Southampton *

Wait for it to disappear

:anibad:

* just one of many areas that spring to mind