Please Help!

Muskoka Bear

Hello Everyone, I am a Canadian Resident and was wondering which GPS I should buy for the Geocaching , its all overwhelming just getting started there are so many to pick from I was looking at the treo smartphone by Palm and the pearl Blackberry do any of these work?, I have decided that I would like to go Paperless but which way is the best way to go??

all answers welcome Thanks for your help

Muskoka Bear

If you have a Palm Treo, you are set for paperless. I used mine until it broke, now I am back to my Palm IIIc for paperless. Search for blackberry, I saw a thread for paperless with a blackberry not long ago.

As for a GPS, Garman seems to be the most popular, but I have a Lowrance H2OC and love it. Go to a local retailer and handle some of the units to see how they feel in your hand. Your GPS should be a rugged outdoor unit to take the spills on the trail.

Happy caching

Since you didn't mention a budget.....

High End: Garmin Colorado 300 - about $450 - all-in one unit for paperless caching. Large Screen, rugged, advanced features

Medium Range - Garmin Legend HCx - small, rugged, color, USB, routable mapping, expanable memory - about $200

Low Range - Garmin eTrex Yellow "H" model - all the basics to find Geocaches - $90 or so

Add mapping to High or Medium for another $100 or so.

Add a used Palm or PPC from ebay for paperless on the medium or low for about $30 and another $8 for software (Cachemate).

Add $30 per year for a premium subscription at Geocaching.com for all of the above.

As for a GPS, Garman seems to be the most popular, but I have a Lowrance H2OC and love it. Go to a local retailer and handle some of the units to see how they feel in your hand. Your GPS should be a rugged outdoor unit to take the spills on the trail.

Happy caching

I also have the H20C Lowrance and love it. :)

when buying a GPS you should decide what features you want.

do you want a color or monochrome screen

do you want a mapping or non mapping GPS

do you want a GPS with expadable memory

do you want a GPS that offers autorouting

do you have a budget

When you get right down to it a $100 non mapping, mono chrome GPS, with 8mb of memory will find a cache just as well as a 500.00 GPS with a color map and expandable memory.

For my use a smart phone is not practical. I have a color mapping GPS, I also have a pocket PC with PQs loaded on it as well as microsoft pocket streets software.

Besides I only make about 2 cell phone calls a month. For me a pay as you go cell phone is all I need.

I did give the smart phones some thought this week when I had to buy a new phone, but paying a monthy fee for a phone just so I can use the phone for Geocacing was just bad math. Why pay a monthy charge for access to a GPS signal that is free to anyone with a GPS.

edit to add:

reg. cell phone for geocaching

Why spend $60.00 a month for geocaching, multiply that by 12 months, that is $720.00 to pay for something that is free, the use of the GPS system. The phone companies are not paying a fee to sell the sigal to a cell phone user. There is a cost to add the GPS function to a phone, but it is not a monty cost, but they charge the cell phone user for this feature.

Edited by JohnnyVegas

Muskoka Bear;

There are several very active geocachers living right in your hometown. Most of them are into paperless caching, and I know any one of them would be pleased to help you. I'm in the neighbouring county and am also available to help you. I'll send you an e-mail through this web site to advise you further.

- dave - 1/2 of the "Bullfrog Eh-Team" - two old farts in the geocaching game.