Palm Tungsten E

CacheMiner72

I am looking to go paperless so I dug up the Palm Tungsten E that I bought the wife a few years back and I since she never used it I might as well. I was wondering( after no successful searches) if it would be usable to go paperless with and where I would start????

Thanks for any help,

kayn_os

Are wifes think alike :unsure:

I did the same thing and it works great with GSAK and Cachemate.

You will need the software for the Palm, if you can't locate the disk you can download it from palms website :lol:

Thanks everybody for the quick replies. I do have the hard case already, thanks for that tip though. I'm that guy, that if there is some kind of fluke that is going to happen, it will happen to me!! :anicute: I will look into Cachemate and the GSAK programs as soon as the kids go down for the night.

kayn_os :D

I find that if all your doing is simply converting the GPX file (geocaches your going to load to your Tungsten) into a PDB file (palm database), then there is no need to get GSAK. CacheMate comes with a converter that does just fine. Plus, GSAK can get very confusing, it's hard to tell where to begin, of course once you get the hang of it, it's the most powerful tool for geocaching. But it is still unnecessary, and it costs to get rid of the nag screen.

I am looking to go paperless so I dug up the Palm Tungsten E that I bought the wife a few years back and I since she never used it I might as well. I was wondering( after no successful searches) if it would be usable to go paperless with and where I would start????

Thanks for any help,

kayn_os

I love my tungsten e2. I dont know the difference between it and the "e", but it works great. I use it with CacheMate.

I have an older GPS - a megellan sportTrak map. I just got an interface cable that I can use to plug the two together. Cachemate will sort the caches by "closest".

I also installed "earthcomber" onto it. You can download earthcomber maps by county, for FREE. I can put a LOT more maps onto my PDA at one time than I can into the SporTrak, and the PDA screen is bigger. If the GPS is plugged in, it makes for a good moving map.

The only "paper" I use now is a route. If I'm going on an extended hunt, across a couple of towns alojng back roads, I'll make a route in my GPS program, and print the route out.