Looking for low-sided boots

Short of trail runners, he's got a bit of tryin' on to do !

Merrell usually has dense padding at the ankle area, as do most (fabric, not leather) Scarpas'.

Lowa usually has a lower-than-most collar, but may hit right at the spot he's having problems with.

Sure he's not ordering his "regular" size and not having them fitted? A too-loose hiker will rub ya raw.

Good luck.

Nike makes some GorTex Boot/Shoe combo specials. They run 80 bucks at full retail. They are comfortable, rugged enough for hiking, but they are not a boot. My son and I both like them. My son, like your boss is sensative to ankle rubbing.

You can find them at Fred Meyer's. I bought my first pair at JC Pennies. I have no idea if they still stock them.

One warning. They tend to be butt ugly.

Nike makes some GorTex Boot/Shoe combo specials. They run 80 bucks at full retail. They are comfortable, rugged enough for hiking, but they are not a boot. My son and I both like them. My son, like your boss is sensative to ankle rubbing.

You can find them at Fred Meyer's. I bought my first pair at JC Pennies. I have no idea if they still stock them.

One warning. They tend to be butt ugly.

Couldn't be any worse than the beat up sneakers he's wearing now! :) I'll pass it along thanks :)

Short of trail runners, he's got a bit of tryin' on to do !

Merrell usually has dense padding at the ankle area, as do most (fabric, not leather) Scarpas'.

Lowa usually has a lower-than-most collar, but may hit right at the spot he's having problems with.

Sure he's not ordering his "regular" size and not having them fitted? A too-loose hiker will rub ya raw.

Good luck.

From what he was describing, he's tying them firm, but not tight and the seeming/padding has a high spot that is usually low on most people, but right on top of the bone for him. He might need arch support, too, but I didn't think to ask yet.

How often does he wear the shoes/boots? I've used sports tape and even duct tape on tender spots (doubled up) - fun when it sticks to the hair, but the easiest thing was just to use thicker socks.

I've used duct tape and mole skin both and duct tape actually worked better in some cases. :)

edit: I don't know, he only said that he has the same problem with a number of different shoes and especially boots.

Edited by fox-and-the-hound

I have a dodgy ankle and wore hightops for years. I have switched to Keen Taghee II. They are low quaters, GroeTex, and extremely light weight compared to boots. I've also cut my pack weight from 50lbs to less than 30 lbs (three-season / five days / food-fuel-water).

The shoes work great!

I wore vasque sundowners but after ankle issues the high top was uncomfortable. I got some lower montrail comps that were OK once they were broken in.

Then I tried on a pair of garmont flash's. They were comfy and I bought them. They required no break in period at all! They are on sale at campmor for 69 bucks so I got another pair.

They supposably have a specially formed area around the ankle that is ankle shaped, and the tongue wraps around so it doesn't shift. They are also pretty light. I've read some reviews where folks were dissapointed in the durability (the sole split or something like that) but to me they are so comfy I'll just wear them till they wear out and get new ones.

If you go the the garmont websight you can read about the special features and what makes them differeant than other boots. Footwear is a personal thing so I wouldn't order the ones for sale at campmor unless you are sure they will work.

Proper fitting boots shouldn't rub. If he has rubbing problems he doesn't have proper fitting shoes. He's best off seeing a reputable boot fitter.

Like Brian mentions, I think it is a problem with a bad fit. IF the boots are fitted properly they will not rub.

As far as a low top, I do not like them for hikking unless they are used on flat easy terrain. Low tops do not offer any ankle support.