Cache hiding milage limit

ar_kayaker

I heard a rumor though another message board that someone has come up with a plan to limit hides to less than 50 miles from your home coordinates.

I don't know if it is the local reviewer pushing this, GC as a whole, or just some local caching group's idea but it seems a little arbitrary. I currently have seven of my twenty-six caches outside the 50 mile limit and have never had any trouble with maintaining them in a timely manner.

I also know of at least one other local cacher that hides caches outside the 50 mile range trying to support an area of our state that doesn't have many caches but does have many interesting historical locations worthy of a visit (and a cache.)

Has anyone else heard this? Is there any truth to it or is this some local pipe dream by people trying to "protect" their pesonal caching zone?

AK

If there was a policy change, I'm rather sure that I would have heard about it.

The Cache Maintenance guideline is a guideline. One person's maintainable distance will be different from the next person's. A long-haul truck driver will have a different radius than a high school student with a mountain bike. Mine's about 30 miles.

I heard a rumor though another message board that someone has come up with a plan to limit hides to less than 50 miles from your home coordinates.

AK

On geocaching.com it is NOTrequired to enter your home cords so they couldn't limit you

Care to guess again? :laughing:

When the user has not entered home coordinates, this trips a flag in the cache review process. Most reviewers will then ask the hider to describe the location of the cache in relation to their home coordinates, and how they plan to maintain it. The cache can then be published, if the answers are satisfactory. But entering the home coordinates will eliminate the delay associated with that dialogue.

The Cache Maintenance guideline is a guideline. One person's maintainable distance will be different from the next person's. A long-haul truck driver will have a different radius than a high school student with a mountain bike. Mine's about 30 miles.

I suspect that a cachers "maintainable distance" varies greatly and increases over time. I was amazed to see some cache density maps in some urban areas and even some areas that looked fairly rural in which there were over 1000 caches within a 10 mile radius. With that kind of density, a cacher doesn't have to travel far from home do do most of their caching, and thus would likely be spending a greater amount of time in a smaller area. I live in a town of about 30K people and there are a few other nearby towns about the same size 30-50 miles away. There are only about 110 caches within 10 miles of where I live and even thought I've only found 300 caches, I have found all but four within 10 miles. As a result, I have to travel further to find new caches and thus am out in areas further from home where I might place and maintain a cache more often than if I lived in a high density area.

I suspect that a cachers "maintainable distance" varies greatly and increases over time.
I travelled from Florida back to my home state of North Carolina for a high school reunion and while there I placed a couple caches. The reviewer questioned it as it was 900 miles from my home coords. I explianed my parents live very nearby and I travel back there regularly and my nephew is right down the road and he's a hard core cacher who agreed to maintain my caches for me. No problem.... approved! :laughing: And it's worked well as he just recently replaced one of my hides at a new location and we had to archive the old one and start a new one and on the new one it was approved quickly without question. The reviewers are flexible as long as you're honest, responsible and work with them.

I figured one of the board moderators would know and be able to shoot the rumor down, that's why I asked here before the local rumor mill got too far with it.

That is the way I remembered the rule too. Because I travel a lot for my other hobbies I have a rather large caching area and quite a few places across the state that I visit pretty frequently. The area I would hide caches in is in no way circular. There are places within 15 miles that I would be agravated to have to make a special trip to maintain a cache at and others 100 miles away that I'm likely to visit once a month or more regardless.

At least the guideline is safe for now, and hopefully there will never be a reason to change it.

AK

Basically anyone can place a cache anywhere in the world,

as long as you can satisfy the local approver of a workable maintinance plan...

(workable being the keyword here)

i.e. you visit the place often or you have local people/cachers that will maintain it for you...

it is up to the local approver though...

If you find one that will approve a cache in one place,

that does not necessarily mean you can do the same in another area...

each approver can have different interpretations of the rules...

Just like a Judge in a Court of Law can have a different interpretation of the Law than an Appellate Judge...

Edited by Peconic Bay Sailors

...I suspect that a cachers "maintainable distance" varies greatly and increases over time. ...

It does change over time. 3 Years ago I had a lot more time. Since then not much time at all. I placed less, caches less, and maintained less. Life happens. In the near future I should have more time.

Life has an ebb and flow. Heck even reviewers come and go.